Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 07:59 PM

515 posts, read 525,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol for a summer rite
Lol I mean she supposedly staged this whole thing because she didn’t want to move back over there so I think that punishment will definitely fit the crime in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 08:01 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Lol I mean she supposedly staged this whole thing because she didn’t want to move back over there so I think that punishment will definitely fit the crime in this case.
I agree

My thing is the punishment has to be effective so that she can learn from her mistake

Otherwise all for naught

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I agree

My thing is the punishment has to be effective so that she can learn from her mistake

Otherwise all for naught
Well the fact that she came out of hiding and confessed I think she’s learning the consequences of her actions. When I saw the video of her walking with her family after she came back I told my coworker that her facial expression was not one of a child who was traumatized it looked like one of “ohhh I’m definitely in trouble now”. Lol I remember the same look from my teenage days. I don’t think she’ll ever do this again.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:16 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
From the perspective of her mom, oh, boy. OMG, you want to hug your child and strangle her to death simultaneously. What she put her mom, through. Oh, boy... I feel for her mom. I do. Unless, her mom had a sneaking suspicion all along that something was up.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
From the perspective of her mom, oh, boy. OMG, you want to hug your child and strangle her to death simultaneously. What she put her mom, through. Oh, boy... I feel for her mom. I do. Unless, her mom had a sneaking suspicion all along that something was up.
I don’t think her mom knew. I think she tried to fight to get daughter out of the car. I don’t even want to imagine how she’s feeling after all of this.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:30 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
I almost don't blame her, Honduras is basically a war zone

Old 12-17-2019, 08:50 PM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Quote:
We can agree to disagree, my parents are from the Caribbean so beatings are part of our culture.
Your friend’s situation is totally different and in that case I would definitely understand. But as a mother I make the rules. Until my child is old enough to live on their own where I go they go no if’s ands or buts. At the end of the day she’s a child and I’m more than positive her parents are 100% taking care of her in every way possible. Like I said as a parent myself now I respect my parents a million times more today because I understand now why did the things that they did for me and my siblings.

The teenagers from now a days are another level of spoiled and I was one less than 15 years ago so I know. We don’t know the mothers reason for wanting to go back to her country maybe it’s what best for her family so who is her 16 year old child to say what her mother should or should not be doing in her household.
My parents are from the Caribbean too and beatings were part of my childhood (and of course my mom's too) and I've seen the damage it does within the family first hand. That's slave culture as far as I'm concerned. While I love and respect my mom, that was probably the most destructive part of our upbringing. But she was young and it's what she knew. Even she says she hopes I don't go that way with her granddaughter.

Nobody hits my child, but she understands boundaries and respect.

I agree with you this girl's mother obviously loves her. Outside of that we don't know this family's stories or issues and I'm more inclined to think talking with the girl would do more to unite the family. Doesn't mean they're not going to Honduras LOL, but at 16 she needs to start learning how it feels to be listened to respectfully and how to speak her mind respectfully - in fact she's overdue for learning how to do that. Beating and punishment don't accomplish that imo.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Doesn't mean they're not going to Honduras LOL, but at 16 she needs to start learning how it feels to be listened to respectfully and how to speak her mind respectfully - in fact she's overdue for learning how to do that. Beating and punishment don't accomplish that imo.
You’re right maybe a beating and a punishment won’t work but we can’t say talking sense into her will work either.
I mean she really staged a kidnapping, and to me that’s just insane.

In this situation I just keep thinking about my teenage years and I’m really glad my parents didn’t allow me to have a say in most things I’m not saying that they never heard me when I had an opinion they did but when they put their foot down that was that, they were my parents and they knew what was best for me even though at the time I thought they just hated me and wanted to ruin my life lol.

As children we really cannot comprehend why our parents do the things that they do for us. In this situation we would need a lot more information to pick a side here. We don’t know why the mother wants to leave it could be a million things, lol maybe the mom thinks she’s gotten mixed in with the wrong kind of friends, if she didn’t before she might think it now lol. Maybe this is was the daughters cry for help because she’s getting abused at home in that case I would say throw the mom in jail. I believe in a good spanking/beating but to be beating up a child and leaving marks and doing it too often that’s not something I agree with.

Still I think the daughter was selfish for staging this. From the first video I can tell her mother was traumatized over this.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 PM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Quote:
You’re right maybe a beating and a punishment won’t work but we can’t say talking sense into her will work either.

In this situation I just keep thinking about my teenage years and I’m really glad my parents didn’t allow me to have a say in most things I’m not saying that they never heard me when I had an opinion they did but when they put their foot down that was that, they were my parents and they knew what was best for me even though at the time I thought they just hated me and wanted to ruin my life lol.

As children we really cannot comprehend why our parents do the things that they do for us. In this situation we would need a lot more information to pick a side here. We don’t know why the mother wants to leave it could be a million things, lol maybe the mom thinks she’s gotten mixed in with the wrong kind of friends, if she didn’t before she might think it now lol. Maybe this is was the daughters cry for help because she’s getting abused at home in that case I would say throw the mom in jail. I believe in a good spanking/beating but to be beating up a child and leaving marks and doing it too often that’s not something I agree with.

Still I think the daughter was selfish for staging this. From the first video I can tell her mother was traumatized over this.
What she did is outrageous!

Speaking of the wrong kind of friends you might be on to something there, because who in their right minds would have agreed to "kidnap" her?! Other children, probably. Not thinking past the immediate situation.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:

This. Can you imagine putting your mom (or any loved one) through that? The daughter better have a good reason (and it better not be because she's in love with some school boy and can't be apart from him, blah, blah). Maybe she thought no one was really listening to her & as a parent your child should always feel like they're at least being heard but... oh, I just feel for her mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: