Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:50 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times

Advertisements

Obviously, everyone is going to give a different answer based on their preferences. There is really no way to determine the "best" neighborhood. You'll probably find people who'll love some of the most crime ridden parts of the city because in their particular experience its the best.

As for me, my preferences is either the city or a rural area. I once got invited to someone's "cabin" in the woods. I rode up their with some friends to find out it was really a house in a suburban gated community. It's amazing that some suburban people think they live in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 10:26 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Obviously, everyone is going to give a different answer based on their preferences. There is really no way to determine the "best" neighborhood. You'll probably find people who'll love some of the most crime ridden parts of the city because in their particular experience its the best.

As for me, my preferences is either the city or a rural area. I once got invited to someone's "cabin" in the woods. I rode up their with some friends to find out it was really a house in a suburban gated community. It's amazing that some suburban people think they live in nature.
Uh... That's the whole allure of living in the suburbs... Less concrete jungle and more green space.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:33 AM

87 posts, read 119,788 times
A good thing about NY is you have so many options. I left NYC when I was 26 and during the next 30 or so years, moved to several suburbs, back into Manhattan for two years and then back to the boroughs. Circumstances, mindset and personal preferences change. So you can never really say what's good, better or best. It all depends...

Old 12-18-2019, 11:48 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Uh... That's the whole allure of living in the suburbs... Less concrete jungle and more green space.
I guess for someone who has never truly lived in a rural area without neighbors right next door then you would have that perception. For me, trading an apartment in the middle of the concrete jungle with all it's nearby resources isn't worth it for a tiny manicured yard with a few bushes.

If I'm going to give up the city, the "green space" will be measured in acres.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I guess for someone who has never truly lived in a rural area without neighbors right next door then you would have that perception. For me, trading an apartment in the middle of the concrete jungle with all it's nearby resources isn't worth it for a tiny manicured yard with a few bushes.

If I'm going to give up the city, the "green space" will be measured in acres.
Actually I have been in rural environments. Not my cup of tea. PITCH BLACK at night. You can't even see your hand. I have relatives that live in rural areas. I don't think I could tolerate being in the middle of nowhere for an extended period of time. Is it nice to have lots of acres for the pets to run? Sure... That's just a little bit too much for me though.

Even when I have lived overseas, I have always opted for areas away from the City center, and it wasn't because of cost either. I lived in a very upscale area in Italy that was outside of the City center, but I could walk to the shops in the neighborhood and still go for walks up in the hills and relax. A nice mix of "urban" and "suburban". Being in a rural environment, you basically need a car for EVERYTHING, even to just get the mail.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:26 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Actually I have been in rural environments. Not my cup of tea. PITCH BLACK at night. You can't even see your hand. I have relatives that live in rural areas. I don't think I could tolerate being in the middle of nowhere for an extended period of time. Is it nice to have lots of acres for the pets to run? Sure... That's just a little bit too much for me though.

Even when I have lived overseas, I have always opted for areas away from the City center, and it wasn't because of cost either. I lived in a very upscale area in Italy that was outside of the City center, but I could walk to the shops in the neighborhood and still go for walks up in the hills and relax. A nice mix of "urban" and "suburban". Being in a rural environment, you basically need a car for EVERYTHING, even to just get the mail.
Yea, and the parts of NYC that are considered suburban are far more urban than the suburbs of most of the US. They often have fairly active local downtowns and a pretty high level of bus and commuter rail service even if they aren’t served by the subway with the area around the commuter rail station often having a scattering of midrise buildings. Meanwhile, I’ve been to urban neighborhoods of US southern cities, within their city propers, that have less going on.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and the parts of NYC that are considered suburban are far more urban than the suburbs of most of the US. They often have fairly active local downtowns and a pretty high level of bus and commuter rail service even if they aren’t served by the subway with the area around the commuter rail station often having a scattering of midrise buildings. Meanwhile, I’ve been to urban neighborhoods of US southern cities, within their city propers, that have less going on.
Yeah, and that's what I like. I want SOME activity, but I also want to feel like I'm in a neighborhood. I have plenty of friends that live in Manhattan. I have crashed at their place when we have went to metal concerts in other states and got back late. One lived in a doorman building in the Village. Nice building near Union Square... Got up the next morning... I was walking near Union Square and thinking my God, can you imagine living around here? It's FILTHY! Everyone raves about being close to subways and entertainment. You can get all of that in the outer boroughs just a short ride away with a better quality of life. What people don't think about is, the more dense an area is the noisier and dirtier it tends to be for obvious reasons. It doesn't matter how expensive it is either. Very few parts of the City are really clean. Park Av comes to mind, but look how expensive that is and they have staff who are there to clean the sidewalks every day.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:36 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Yeah, and that's what I like. I want SOME activity, but I also want to feel like I'm in a neighborhood. I have plenty of friends that live in Manhattan. I have crashed at their place when we have went to metal concerts in other states and got back late. One lived in a doorman building in the Village. Nice building near Union Square... Got up the next morning... I was walking near Union Square and thinking my God, can you imagine living around here? It's FILTHY! Everyone raves about being close to subways and entertainment. You can get all of that in the outer boroughs just a short ride away with a better quality of life. What people don't think about is, the more dense an area is the noisier and dirtier it tends to be for obvious reasons. It doesn't matter how expensive it is either. Very few parts of the City are really clean. Park Av comes to mind, but look how expensive that is and they have staff who are there to clean the sidewalks every day.
You bring up a good point

Same situation with me, I had friends back in the day by Union Square I would crash at them after a night in the city, and Manhattan looks disgusting on Sunday mornings, lol, at least where I was at

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You bring up a good point

Same situation with me, I had friends back in the day by Union Square I would crash at them after a night in the city, and Manhattan looks disgusting on Sunday mornings, lol, at least where I was at
Yeah it was a Sunday morning, early before I guess Sanitation could clean. People had thrown up on the sidewalk all over. Not exactly what you're used to seeing when you walk out of your door. I'm sure it isn't the norm in a lot of Manhattan areas, but some areas are high traffic areas and thus cleanliness is indeed a problem.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:41 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
To be fair, filth and density don't necessarily have to go together. Lots of density ostensibly also means it's worthwhile to pool a bit of resources and efforts to have regular cleaning, sweeping or other solutions. Which, of course, is not what is being done in or near Union Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City