Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 09:49 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All open discussion does not mean all open discussion is good or beneficial. Like I said same thing over and over. Definition of insanity. You know what though, you keep going, I don't care. If you really need to keep discussing, then I don't want to feel I'm hindering "open discussion."
You don't get to decide what is good or bad. As long as it does not violate the rules of this forum, it is fair game. You do not want open discussion. You only want open discussions of thing you want. This is not open discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Left wing
Right wing

Same bird

Here's a question, who decided these silly left/right terms anyway? How come dems aren't the right and reps aren't the left? Who's in charge of these designations? Why not up/down? LoL.
It is not the same. And you keep asking these questions but if you bother to read more about the discussion, then you will get some answers to your questions but at the same time you want to shut down the discussions about them. Ridiculous.

Anyway, I know you want to get the last word in so go ahead. You already derailed this thread enough as it is. Some moderator.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:54 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You don't get to decide what is good or bad. As long as it does not violate the rules of this forum, it is fair game. You do not want open discussion. You only want open discussions of thing you want. This is not open discussion.
Actually I do. Maybe its time for you to review the ToS. Everybody on here gets to decide whats good or bad and has a right to express such (without disrespect towards others). Too bad if you get offended, not everybody will agree with your point of view. I think you repeatedly post the same stuff. Too bad if you're offended. It's actually borderline trolling. Repeating the same POV over and over does not promote healthy discussion, its regurgiation of the same crap.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Actually I do. Maybe its time for you to review the ToS. Everybody on here gets to decide whats good or bad and has a right to express such (without disrespect towards others). Too bad if you get offended, not everybody will agree with your point of view. I think you repeatedly post the same stuff. Too bad if you're offended.
Funny you should say that when that's exactly what you are against, i.e. people's right to express their opinions on Democrats, crime in NYC, etc. What a joke.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:58 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Thanks... certainly a lot contributing to the cost.

It seems the majority are misdemeanor crimes. How many are people really a threat to society? I'd even guess that a lot of them are lowly drug possession crimes... which speaks back to a previous poster. Why aren't they decriminalizing marijuana possession? Note.. not necessarily legalization as a first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Just because it is expensive to incarcerate does not mean you then look to decriminalize and let the felons out. You look for ways to reduce the cost but still incarcerate.
I don't necessarily agree here. As with many things, it has to be framed around cost versus return on investment. "Return on investment" meaning does it contribute to the safety of others and general public. Sure, I hate stepping in gum on the sidewalks and seeing people litter. We can certainly throw people in jail for a few days when caught spitting gum or littering and the end result could reduce the nuisance. But is it really worth $925/day/inmate?

Specifically to the Marijuana debate, a lot rests on individuals views on its impacts. Some like it to the scourge of the planet and the end of the world... marijuana zombies would go out and start eating brains or something... But realistically, how much more of a danger to others (remember... return on investment) is a casual or even habitual smoker? Is it really worth $925/day/inmate? That's the question.

The US has some of the highest incarceration rate in the world... how much of that is misdemeanor crimes and how much of that are we seeing a "return on investment"?

Old 12-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

It seems the majority are misdemeanor crimes. How many are people really a threat to society? I'd even guess that a lot of them are lowly drug possession crimes... which speaks back to a previous poster. Why aren't they decriminalizing marijuana possession? Note.. not necessarily legalization as a first step.
This is what happens when you build a country off of free labor, quite simple.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:02 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
This is what happens when you build a country off of free labor, quite simple.
Sure... but this country is built.. what do we do now?

Old 12-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I don't necessarily agree here. As with many things, it has to be framed around cost versus return on investment. "Return on investment" meaning does it contribute to the safety of others and general public. Sure, I hate stepping in gum on the sidewalks and seeing people litter. We can certainly throw people in jail for a few days when caught spitting gum or littering and the end result could reduce the nuisance. But is it really worth $925/day/inmate?

Specifically to the Marijuana debate, a lot rests on individuals views on its impacts. Some like it to the scourge of the planet and the end of the world... marijuana zombies would go out and start eating brains or something... But realistically, how much more of a danger to others (remember... return on investment) is a casual or even habitual smoker? Is it really worth $925/day/inmate? That's the question.
You are using hyperbolic examples. No one sits in jail for spitting gum and littering.

Anyway, I am not even talking about the types of crimes. That's an entirely different discussion. I am talking about regulatory wastes and bureaucracy. For example, incarceration costs per inmate are lower for other cities and states than NYC. Why is that? NYC regulatory bureaucracy.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Sure... but this country is built.. what do we do now?
Tear it down and re-build it

Re-structuring to put it nicely.

The reason why we cannot identify our mistakes and move forward properly as a nation is because this will cause some people to lose money

And human beings despite what you think are not for the common good

So this is our hurdle we have to overcome, we're actually trying too hard doing everything else

This is the main reason why certain people will rather point fingers, than offer solutions...

Old 12-23-2019, 10:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Quote:
It's great that you guys are talking about it, but discussing the fact that you feel like you're getting robbed in broad daylight, isn't going to stop you from getting robbed in broad daylight. Hell, if I really gave a damn about politics, I would feel that the Democrats are invincible the way most talk. After all, they keep stealing and nobody seems to be able to stop it, so maybe denouncing them on C-D is the answer? LoL. Ridiculous.
I denounce them in person to their staff!! There is one who's office is a block away from my house. U NEVER see him at his office and does next to nothing for his constituents. Somehow he wins election after election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City