Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2019, 06:31 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Locking lots of people up and wasting this amount of money was done by two mayors who found themselves rejected by real conservatives.

These two mayors were a bit dictatorial, and did NOTHING to solve underlying issues, including underlying budget issues.

The budget under Bloomberg was flush because he rezoned industrial neighborhoods for development. Of course this leaves very little of job opportunities for working class people.

Bloomberg accelerated the city's transformation into a place where you have to be either rich or on welfare to live there long term.
Those two mayors turned the city with the highest number of homicides in the nation into the safest large city in the nation. It was a 180 about face. They pretty much saved NYC.

You can't sell a NYC (for development) unless it was cleaned up and safe. People and money then pored back in. Fast forward to today and NYC is now starting to lose population again from the burden of looney progressive policies by the mayor, city council and governor that is driving up cost while reducing quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 06:37 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Your point: incarceration is costly because of petty crimes. This is not even true. How absurd is a point when it is not even true?

And yes, it is completely a Left-Right matter. Leftist controlled cities and states cost more to do everything. I've already told you why. Just because you don't understand or refuse to understand does not mean it is t true.
There are two links that were previously posted that disagrees with you. When you have a large backlog of misdemeanor cases waiting for court hearings that go back months even years with some of those cases resulting in people sitting in jail while waiting, it is costly.

The only thing absurd is that you don't realize that courts and jails cost money and you can't seem to get past Left-Right thinking. Just because you call it absurd and disagree doesn't mean it isn't true. You don't even put in an effort to support your point? How absurd is that?

And no.... you still missed my point and don't comprehend. I didn't say incarceration is costly because of petty crimes. What I said was that the cost of incarceration has a cost and one way NYC can address the financial issue is to run a cost/benefit and look at it from a return on investment viewpoint. Benefit/return on investment being that of benefiting society... is misdemeanor worth $925/day/inmate worth it? Completely different from what you claim I said... This is the third time I am explaining this to you and you still don't understand...

A previous poster said it correctly. The tax payers of NYC are being penalized for misdemeanor crimes....

Last edited by usayit; 12-24-2019 at 06:46 AM..

Old 12-24-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All your posts here do not contribute one single thing to the conversation. You do nothing but side track threads and turn off valuable posters (and readers).

There are some really great moderators on this site. You are not one of them.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
There are two links that were previously posted that disagrees with you. When you have a large backlog of misdemeanor cases waiting for court hearings that go back months even years with some of those cases resulting in people sitting in jail while waiting, it is costly.

The only thing absurd is that you don't realize that courts and jails cost money and you can't seem to get past Left-Right thinking.
Except the figure that this whole thread is based upon is 1. based on incarceration on Rikers for example, meaning people that have been tried, convicted and imprisoned, not someone sitting in a holding jail in one of the city's booking centers awaiting to be charged and 2. the figure is per capita, which means it costs the same amount per person whether it is 10 or 1000.

Most of the costs comes from housing, feeding, securing, and providing all types of frilly services for prisoners serving long term sentences for serious crimes, not from keeping someone for a few hours or even a few days in a detention center. Also, as I have said, NYC is now so lax on crime that no one is jailed for misdemeanors so your point is pointless.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC is also very expensive to live in. So it's reflected in the wages prison staff are paid. And you know working class people LOVE overtime (Salary and a half).
According to numbers I am seeing on internet, correctional officers salaries isn't any more than New Jersey and New Jersey cost per year per inmate is still significantly lower than New York city.

I am seeing some discrepancies in numbers though... so I'll let you look up the numbers and decide for yourself.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
According to numbers I am seeing on internet, correctional officers salaries isn't any more than New Jersey and New Jersey cost per year per inmate is still significantly lower than New York city.

I am seeing some discrepancies in numbers though... so I'll let you look up the numbers and decide for yourself.
And this also goes against your argument that misdemeanors adds to the cost. In NJ, you DO go to jail for misdemeanors because NJ is not nearly as liberal as NYC. You will get away with a lot more in NYC than you will in NJ. Yet as you said it yourself, it is cheaper than NYC.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Except the figure that this whole thread is based upon is 1. based on incarceration on Rikers for example, meaning people that have been tried, convicted and imprisoned, not someone sitting in a holding jail in one of the city's booking centers awaiting to be charged and 2. the figure is per capita, which means it costs the same amount per person whether it is 10 or 1000.

Most of the costs comes from housing, feeding, securing, and providing all types of frilly services for prisoners serving long term sentences for serious crimes, not from keeping someone for a few hours or even a few days in a detention center. Also, as I have said, NYC is now so lax on crime that no one is jailed for misdemeanors so your point is pointless.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...wder-1993-2015

"Last fall, I wrote about a young man named Kalief Browder, who spent three years on Rikers Island without being convicted of a crime.
.. Then he spent more than one thousand days on Rikers waiting for a trial that never happened. "

Yeh.. .those three years didn't cost the tax payer a penny....

Old 12-24-2019, 07:03 AM

8,372 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Of course. That's exactly it. They can deny as much as they want. Nothing wrong with how they feel either, but lets be honest. They're not pulling the wool over anybody's eyes.

Okay, all my three condos were bought with cash, no mortgage. They are small, but they are all I need. Boston is worth about $400k tax-free (for primary home tax exclusion) plus about $50k taxable. San Francisco is worth about $400k, out of which $115k is taxable. Parkchester is worth about $130k, or about $95k after taxes. Suppose I sell them - that is about $800k cold cash, plus annual retirement funds of about $100k, of which I typically spend only half (plus whatever I want to earn in contracts. If I still wanted to work full time, I would still be making $400k per year, but what's the point if I have to pay 50% of that in taxes?). I work very little at this point, and in combination with retirement funds it STILL requires special attention to keep annual income under $200k per year (where exorbitant additional taxes kick in for a single person, and I don't want to work in order to pay those taxes). I can certainly get a small studio anywhere in NYC I want for $800k, but I don"t want it any more, not after meeting you here, no thanks - I'm going to Montreal, clean, safe, worldly & civilized. Rien, non, je ne regrette rien...

Old 12-24-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
And this also goes against your argument that misdemeanors adds to the cost. In NJ, you DO go to jail for misdemeanors because NJ is not nearly as liberal as NYC. You will get away with a lot more in NYC than you will in NJ. Yet as you said it yourself, it is cheaper than NYC.
You don't get it.... correctional officers aren't the only factor in cost... That was the point that SeventhFloor was making but you instead chided him/her for it. Honestly, I think SeventhFloor has offered quite a bit of patience to you.

Sounds like you are so invested in "winning" that you are now just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Waste of time... good day.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:

People were locked up for non violent crimes and drugs and prostitution. Which is why these things need to be LEGALISED.

It's absolutely stupid to lock people up for these non violent crimes and then SPEND 337, 951 a year on them. And then after they get out, and are not able to find work due to a criminal record, spend more money on giving them welfare.

What you're not wanting to deal with is Giuliani and Bloomberg's law and order was not FISCAL conservatism.

In fact prostitutes and drug dealers are making MONEY, and are supporting themselves. The government should not incarcerate people for making money and supporting themselves. After the government is DONE with them, they turn working people into WELFARE/SYSTEM clients, perhaps permanently.

And taxpayers pay through the nose.

Which is why the national conservative movement REJECTS Giuliani and Bloomberg. Legalisation is becoming a lot more mainstream across the political spectrum. It is not a right/left thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City