U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 09:44 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,105,452 times

Advertisements

I know a few generations of newyorkers that lived 2+2, in a 2br, kids in the better public schools, along real city kids,who's parents are in the same boat.

Either you don't get off the island of manhattan much?

Queens brooklyn bronx, maybe a long walk to the train station.

Realize,by me jack heights, gradea 1 through 8 in a catholic/private school is $5k per year and discounted with 3 kidas.

PS/jhs are rated 7 and better.
Getting to any Public specializes HS is a breeze to get to.

If uber drivers can make it out here,so can you.

Public assistance is obtained if income is $2200 per month or less. But there are ways to be frugal,anyway.

Its nice to have 1 parent at home .
Rate this post positively

Old 12-24-2019, 05:20 AM

9,819 posts, read 2,808,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Most Americans do not live in expensive cities. Of course you can be a quality parent on 75k. Actually a lot of the professionals in NYC who work long hours (and who earn six digits) may not be quality parents because they are always working and are not available to emotionally support their children. You cannot be such a great parent if you have to pay someone else to take care of all the parenting duties.
Excerpt: Actually a lot of the professionals in NYC .... are not available to emotionally support their children.

Opinion: 100% Agreed.

The same holds true that quality parenting cannot be accredited by reaching out to government
programs as a means of survival. All you are doing is teaching and training the children that you
can not make it on your own. Something to truly think about.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I know a few generations of newyorkers that lived 2+2, in a 2br, kids in the better public schools, along real city kids,who's parents are in the same boat.

Either you don't get off the island of manhattan much?

Queens brooklyn bronx, maybe a long walk to the train station.

Realize,by me jack heights, gradea 1 through 8 in a catholic/private school is $5k per year and discounted with 3 kidas.

PS/jhs are rated 7 and better.
Getting to any Public specializes HS is a breeze to get to.

If uber drivers can make it out here,so can you.

Public assistance is obtained if income is $2200 per month or less. But there are ways to be frugal,anyway.

Its nice to have 1 parent at home .
Opinion:
Agreed.
Let's not lose focus. The post asked if a family with 3 children can make it on $75,000 a year in N.Y.C.
not if a family with three children can make it on $75,000 a year in N.Y.C. along side of government subsidies.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:32 AM

Opinion:

I found it very interesting how quickly focus was lost once government assistance was introduced.
It's a given .Once free money is handed out anyone can get by in New York City. I can only speculate that
some posts were an emotional rather than financial response. Any person who has never enjoyed a city hand
out knows to well that the numbers of $75,000 will not work where on the other hand those used to getting a
helping hand consider it a windfall of money. Everybody has a unique perspective on their own reality. Take it
from this Boomer. Know it all too well. All is O.K. in this world as long as the money flows. There is a greater
risk for government subsidies to stop flowing than the monies from one's personal portfolio. Pray it never stops.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:37 AM

28,589 posts, read 27,799,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So show OP rent prices then

Around my way market rate is $2000 for a decent 3 bedroom

That's why my response was yes but you will be living in close quarters
Going to have to be two bedrooms, but is the idea of two kids sharing a room really that crazy?

Old 12-24-2019, 06:43 AM

25,508 posts, read 38,932,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Going to have to be two bedrooms, but is the idea of two kids sharing a room really that crazy?
No it's not

But this forum is good for people looking down on others because they don't have to show their faces. Sad sad.

But $75K can absolutely be done here, just takes a bit of ingenuity. Another thing - people don't realize how much daycare costs, in some cases it's cheaper (and more convenient) for one person to be the SAHM or SAHD.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-24-2019, 07:28 AM

230 posts, read 137,397 times
Sure it's doable. Majority of households in NYC earn less than $75K per year.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:28 AM

457 posts, read 223,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No it's not

But this forum is good for people looking down on others because they don't have to show their faces. Sad sad.

But $75K can absolutely be done here, just takes a bit of ingenuity. Another thing - people don't realize how much daycare costs, in some cases it's cheaper (and more convenient) for one person to be the SAHM or SAHD.
I don't think it's crazy, either. But people I talk to insist that without a six figure income New York is simply outré for a family with kids. But with good work-provided health insurance and one parent at home I actually wonder if I've been told correctly (which is why I ask the question). A lot of people think that you can't raise kids well without going wild at the Gap, trips to London, Whole Foods, etc. But I don't want designer kids. I want good kids. And after raising them for a while the idea that they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to raise isn't just mindboggling. It's actually immoral. So when people say NYC is inaccessible for less than 75k I wonder if that's really the whole story.

Frankly, my hunch is slipping past the 20x rent rule and still finding a good apartment are the biggest, though by no means insurmountable, hurdles.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:44 AM

230 posts, read 137,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I don't think it's crazy, either. But people I talk to insist that without a six figure income New York is simply outré for a family with kids. But with good work-provided health insurance and one parent at home I actually wonder if I've been told correctly (which is why I ask the question). A lot of people think that you can't raise kids well without going wild at the Gap, trips to London, Whole Foods, etc. But I don't want designer kids. I want good kids. And after raising them for a while the idea that they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to raise isn't just mindboggling. It's actually immoral. So when people say NYC is inaccessible for less than 75k I wonder if that's really the whole story.

Frankly, my hunch is slipping past the 20x rent rule and still finding a good apartment are the biggest, though by no means insurmountable, hurdles.
Check out the Westchester NY forum. People complain about feeling poor and not being able to make it with less than $500K / year income. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:49 AM

3,955 posts, read 2,731,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
Sure it's doable. Majority of households in NYC earn less than $75K per year.
Agreed. While 75K is considered a good salary nationally, in NYC, a family of 5 living on 75K would be considered working class/lower middle class.
That's fine, and it's an average salary for the majority of NYC families, most of whom are working class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City