U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-24-2019, 08:54 AM
 
Location: NY
10,083 posts, read 2,909,590 times
Reputation: 6604

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Going to have to be two bedrooms, but is the idea of two kids sharing a room really that crazy?

Excerpt: but is the idea of two kids sharing a room really that crazy?

Opinion:
Answer ? No .......................just the expense is raising two kids on a shared $75,000 amount is......
To think that only 20 years ago $75,000 would have been an ample amount.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 12-24-2019, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
25,858 posts, read 39,172,533 times
Reputation: 11274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt: but is the idea of two kids sharing a room really that crazy?

Opinion:
Answer ? No .......................just the expense is raising two kids on a shared $75,000 amount is......
To think that only 20 years ago $75,000 would have been an ample amount.
How's the search going? Still leaving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Thankyou for such detail.



I had my eye on Lititz especially the surrounding towns and Lancaster.
Not sure on Allentown and Philly. Need to research the crime stats.
In Queens crime varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.
Shopping strips ,cemeteries,highways,parklands and other physical structures contains
crime or lack of crime between each.

Is this the same in the PA locations you mentioned ?
Or does crime follow or increase along the interstate and its exits?
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 09:32 AM
 
Location: NY
10,083 posts, read 2,909,590 times
Reputation: 6604
Opinion:
There are many points of view on whether or not
one can raise a family with 3 children for $75,000 a year.
Born,raised,worked,paid my fare share of taxes retired and living in New York.
I think I should know a little bit about surviving in New York City.
Could I come to New York with 3 children on $75,000 a year in 2019. Yes.
Would I come to New York with 3 children on $75,000 dollars a year in 2019? Absolutely not.
Would I move into a home in New York paid in full on a $100,000 a year or more income with
room to make more money in overtime or a second job? Yes and that's pushing it. This is the
New York that is available to the working class family not dependent on any government handouts
whatsoever. No knocking on mommy,daddy's ,uncles ,aunts or friends door because you are strapped
for cash. You better be making a good dollar and owning a home living in New York City if you want the
the absolute best for your children. Anything less is detrimental to them in the long run. Best wishes...............
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
25,858 posts, read 39,172,533 times
Reputation: 11274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
There are many points of view on whether or not
one can raise a family with 3 children for $75,000 a year.
Born,raised,worked,paid my fare share of taxes retired and living in New York.
I think I should know a little bit about surviving in New York City.
Could I come to New York with 3 children on $75,000 a year in 2019. Yes.
Would I come to New York with 3 children on $75,000 dollars a year in 2019? Absolutely not.
Would I move into a home in New York paid in full on a $100,000 a year or more income with
room to make more money in overtime or a second job? Yes and that's pushing it. This is the
New York that is available to the working class family not dependent on any government handouts
whatsoever. No knocking on mommy,daddy's ,uncles ,aunts or friends door because you are strapped
for cash. You better be making a good dollar and owning a home living in New York City if you want the
the absolute best for your children. Anything less is detrimental to them in the long run. Best wishes...............
Thank you, but this post does nothing to help the psyche of many of those just trying to make it. Everybody can't be rich, that's just not how it goes. But thank you for your valuable contributions on what you would have done.

Have you located a more cost-friendly locale? Is Pennsylvania out of the running? Or did you not see the writing on the wall either? Maybe you can give advice on that aspect. Cheers.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 10:32 AM
 
1,046 posts, read 440,101 times
Reputation: 1806
75 ? No way.

I wish there were regulations. Salary required to have a child. It would be so much better for the kids.
So many can’t afford to have kids yet bang them out year after year.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
25,858 posts, read 39,172,533 times
Reputation: 11274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
75 ? No way.

I wish there were regulations. Salary required to have a child. It would be so much better for the kids.
So many can’t afford to have kids yet bang them out year after year.
#china
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 11:07 AM
 
463 posts, read 106,708 times
Reputation: 457
Yes its possible for a family of 4 to live on a $75K/yr job (30% Bronx families live in poverty)
You will be restricted to 2 bedroom apartments
Better off moving to the suburbs and commuting to NYC for work, kids will like the space
Bronx near Woodlawn best- gentrifying
Unemployment

  • Bronx cheapest rent, even Jamaica Queens charging $2K/m now which is ridiculous.
  • Strongly insist other parent get a temp part-time job many in NYC start at $15-19/hr aka u'd bring home $18,000-$24,000/yr for working just 3 days per week boosting total household income $93K-$100K/yr

I assume relocating? If job can be done remotely ask? Why cuz you could potentially move to a low COL city and live like a King on $75/yr. SO wouldn't have to work either.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 11:09 AM
 
463 posts, read 106,708 times
Reputation: 457
Also look into Jersey City. Rent dirt cheap compared to NYC PATH train only 30m from Journal Square.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 02:15 PM
 
Location: New York
3,570 posts, read 3,256,271 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
A lot (most) of people live somewhere in NYC on far less than 75k/year. But I'm wondering how well they are actually living. Is it possible to live in a safe neighborhood, not in Morris County (or really anywhere in the suburbs), and not in a literal shoebox run by the Russian mafia, in NYC on less than 75k/year for a family with kids? I'm not talking about major travel, private school, much eating out, Alfa Romeros, etc. I'm talking about living frugally, but safely and within NYC, on 70k a year. Is this even possible?
I did it not that long ago on less money. It can be done. it isn't fun.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-24-2019, 02:45 PM
 
Location: New York
3,570 posts, read 3,256,271 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
It can be done, but you wont be saving much..

3 kids, need a 3 br at least.$2800+ housing

Public school free$

Bjs,costco,walmart for food

And clothing the same, or old navy comes in the clutch.

Used car,use public transport for work

Eat out twice a month.

You will do better on $100k per year.

Don't let anyone stop you from having kids and a family. It gets expensive during Christmas or if flying.
This is so off.

3 kids = 2 bedroom. (Kids can share.) Also, you don't need a car in NYC. Also, ever heard of this thing called hand me downs? Until the kids are 5, there are plenty of places to get free clothes for kids, some of which still have the tag on them. After around 2 years old, you can walk away with two bags of clothes from Children's place for $100.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top