U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 02:47 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,233,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I will agree with three kids on that salary you may need some kind of government assistance in some form (whether housing assistance, health insurance, etc.), in NYC.
If one feels that is parenting kids adequately then....ok

I think on that salary you can afford to rent a 1 bedroom or MAYBE a 2 bedroom apartment in an old building in a far-outer borough neighborhood. So your family will be a bit crowded.
Yes, possibly a Russian neighborhood (they tend to be cheaper but still relatively safe).

Can you survive? Sure, lots of New Yorkers do.
But thrive? Enjoy living here?
Not sure.
One won't qualify for government assistance on $50K, let alone on $75K.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No it's not

But this forum is good for people looking down on others because they don't have to show their faces. Sad sad.

But $75K can absolutely be done here, just takes a bit of ingenuity. Another thing - people don't realize how much daycare costs, in some cases it's cheaper (and more convenient) for one person to be the SAHM or SAHD.
Yeah, they love class politics looking down on those who have less than them who need a safety net. I bethinks that it's more fear based that they could lose their own income, or they grew up like that. Either way, the politics of resentment is a well played political strategy that pins the lower middle class against the working poor, while their masters who are stealing their wages get away with rigging the economy to steal from them even more.

It started with Nixon but became powerful under Reagan.

Quote:
That said, Reagan’s speeches are lessons in opportunism, distortion and at the very least, blinkered self-awareness — the former president’s own father, an alcoholic who had trouble holding jobs, found his steadiest work as a welfare administrator in Dixon, Ill. And ramifications were vast.

Reagan’s welfare queen energized and outraged voters and helped land him in the White House, where he then worked to cement the belief that the problem with welfare was actually the welfare bureaucracy itself. Which eased pressure on addressing a more nebulous problem, poverty.

And so, for decades, poor families were pulled off of public assistance, leading to the Clinton administration’s later actions to “end welfare as we know it.” Within a decade, the number of children living in poverty in this country more than doubled. Linda Taylor had been an unwitting salvo in what resembles a propaganda war against the poor.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...610-story.html
Quote:
Today, the legacy of the “welfare queen” is seen in the push for work requirements for public-aid recipients; it’s felt in shifts of terminology, from “safety net” to a more loaded “entitlement.” It’s heard in the “false narrative that people on public assistance don’t want to work,” said Hahn of the Urban Institute, “when the reality is most recipients are in low-wage jobs — often several low-wage jobs.”

It’s felt in the dismantling of the welfare system itself.

But also, Levin said, nodding toward K Street outside his office, it’s seen in the way politicians used the 2015 killing of a woman in San Francisco by an undocumented immigrant as proof that the undocumented are dangerous.

“A lack of interest in facts and statistics. The use of a single not-typical story was an example of what’s going on everyday, under our feet. It just all feels strangely familiar.”

Last edited by roseba; 12-24-2019 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
75 ? No way.

I wish there were regulations. Salary required to have a child. It would be so much better for the kids.
So many can’t afford to have kids yet bang them out year after year.
Kind of like the one child rule in China?

Old 12-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IForgotMyOldAccount View Post
Yes its possible for a family of 4 to live on a $75K/yr job (30% Bronx families live in poverty)
You will be restricted to 2 bedroom apartments
Better off moving to the suburbs and commuting to NYC for work, kids will like the space
From my friends that grew up in the suburbs, they said they were bored to death. Also, aren't the suburbs the hotbed for drug addiction? (Probably due to boredom)

From my perusal of the suburbs, the prices don't make sense because the cost to commute increases enough to offset any lower housing cost. Also, adding a car to that increases expenses.

Bronx near Woodlawn best- gentrifying
Unemployment

Old 12-24-2019, 06:43 PM

9,658 posts, read 2,739,631 times
Quote:
Thank you, but this post does nothing to help the psyche of many of those just trying to make it. Everybody can't be rich, that's just not how it goes. But thank you for your valuable contributions on what you would have done.

Have you located a more cost-friendly locale? Is Pennsylvania out of the running? Or did you not see the writing on the wall either? Maybe you can give advice on that aspect. Cheers.
Opinion:
I am still looking for a location that is mirrors my home surroundings as close as possible.
I have also considered Delaware and Maryland. I love, love, Savannah but can't stand the humidity.
North Carolina is Beautiful but too many young adults and South Carolina is ..out too beat up for me.
Since we are on this subject the family with 3 children would do well in the outskirts of Philadelphia.
Happy Holidays.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:47 PM

25,246 posts, read 38,754,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
I am still looking for a location that is mirrors my home surroundings as close as possible.
I have also considered Delaware and Maryland. I love, love, Savannah but can't stand the humidity.
North Carolina is Beautiful but too many young adults and South Carolina is ..out too beat up for me.
Since we are on this subject the family with 3 children would do well in the outskirts of Philadelphia.
Happy Holidays.
Don't go anywhere cold because they'll tax you more anyway

Snow = roads = more tax

Happy Holidays to you too my man

I'm trying to be like you but I have another 20 something years to go, if luck is on my side and all the stars are aligned 10 max.

Cheers

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-24-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you, but this post does nothing to help the psyche of many of those just trying to make it. Everybody can't be rich, that's just not how it goes. But thank you for your valuable contributions on what you would have done.

Have you located a more cost-friendly locale? Is Pennsylvania out of the running? Or did you not see the writing on the wall either? Maybe you can give advice on that aspect. Cheers.

Excerpt: Maybe you can give advice on that aspect.
Opinion:
Sure can........
I have been to Harrisburg , Philadelphia Pa, Baltimore Maryland,and Wilmington, New Castle Delaware.
I like Harrisburg so far...........but that can change with further research.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Excerpt: Maybe you can give advice on that aspect.
Opinion:
Sure can........
I have been to Harrisburg , Philadelphia Pa, Baltimore Maryland,and Wilmington, New Castle Delaware.
I like Harrisburg so far...........but that can change with further research.
No more cold weather, you've earned it

Old 12-24-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Don't go anywhere cold because they'll tax you more anyway

Snow = roads = more tax

Happy Holidays to you too my man

I'm trying to be like you but I have another 20 something years to go, if luck is on my side and all the stars are aligned 10 max.

Cheers

Best wishes.............with nose to the grind stone anything in this world is possible.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Best wishes.............with nose to the grind stone everything in this world is possible.
If people want it bad enough, they will find a way

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City