U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2019, 07:59 PM
 
425 posts, read 229,350 times
Reputation: 383

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Highest tax bracket is 37%. You MAY have paid 22 or 24%.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/07/how-...w-tax-law.html



Taxes are not extortion. it's the cost in living in a society that supports you to have a high income bracket to begin with. It's pretty expensive to have your own private island where you have to pay the cost to deliver everything and pay your own security force to protect you from thieves, and I am sure would far exceed your "50%" income.
You can’t just quote federal tax rates. People in NYC also pay NY State, NY City, social security tax, etc. If you are in the highest tax bracket, you could pay more than 50% in taxes. Let’s not forget health insurance, 401K, etc., which also gets taken out of your paycheck.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-05-2020, 11:07 AM
 
Location: New York
3,570 posts, read 3,244,874 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I paid in taxes what I said I paid, ie, around 50%. When I worked full-time, my tax bracket was 35%. You were never self employed (like me), so you don't even know what taxes your employer pays for you.
That's a stretch. You actually don't know if I was ever anything unless of course you are hacking into my Social Security record. And whether I was or wasn't doesn't make me ignorant of self-pay taxes for the self-employed. Those who are self-employed however, also have the liberty of declaring almost everything as a business expense, making an income of $100,000 look like $25,000. People do that every day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
All of that taken together, my taxes for several years were about 47% of my gross earnings. You are "talking authoritatively" about things about which you have no slightest clue. You are so remote from anybody who does any real work, or even more remote from big business enterprises that float up this country, that you can't even begin to understand the depths of your cluelessness, so you have to make up disparaging fiction about people without whom you would live the way people live in Cuba.
Real work? No one does real work except for teachers, chefs, tradesman and care-givers. Everyone else is paper pushers or providing things we really don't need. This is not a culture designed by me, but it is one we have all been forced to live in. Your assertions of what I have and haven't done are astounding. I have worked for one of the largest companies in the world, Citigroup. I worked at many large investment banks, law-firms, accounting firms. I KNOW big enterprise. Today, I work for a major player that helps set national policy.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-05-2020, 11:09 AM
 
Location: New York
3,570 posts, read 3,244,874 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
You can’t just quote federal tax rates. People in NYC also pay NY State, NY City, social security tax, etc. If you are in the highest tax bracket, you could pay more than 50% in taxes. Let’s not forget health insurance, 401K, etc., which also gets taken out of your paycheck.
I agree. If people work and live in NYC and State, they pay those taxes. She does not. Furtjhermore, those who claim these claims about paying 50% of their salary to taxes aren't people giving credit to poor people who are ALSO paying those local taxes because they are concerned about what they aren't paying to the Fed.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-05-2020, 12:24 PM
 
4,290 posts, read 1,576,491 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
That's a stretch. You actually don't know if I was ever anything unless of course you are hacking into my Social Security record. And whether I was or wasn't doesn't make me ignorant of self-pay taxes for the self-employed. Those who are self-employed however, also have the liberty of declaring almost everything as a business expense, making an income of $100,000 look like $25,000. People do that every day.




Real work? No one does real work except for teachers, chefs, tradesman and care-givers. Everyone else is paper pushers or providing things we really don't need. This is not a culture designed by me, but it is one we have all been forced to live in. Your assertions of what I have and haven't done are astounding. I have worked for one of the largest companies in the world, Citigroup. I worked at many large investment banks, law-firms, accounting firms. I KNOW big enterprise. Today, I work for a major player that helps set national policy.

You can't declare "everything" as a business expense, not in my profession (which is as far from paper pushing as anyone could imagine). The only things I ever deducted as business expense were my fully self-paid health insurance, cost of licensing every two years in multiple states (mandatory for physicians), and travel to get emergently where they needed me, if the hospital with which I contracted did not cover the transport. I never even deducted the eligible cost of meals while traveling away from home for work (figuring that I would not be eating differently whether I was working in my home city or elsewhere - I only eat in order to live, not the way around). My self-emplyed tax deductions never exceeded 3% of my income, while my total taxes approached 50% of my income in many years. My continued assertion is that you have no clue when commenting about my work, my taxes, or any kind of enterprise, major or otherwise. If you knew what self-employed people pay in taxes, you would know, eg, that FICA taxes are over 15%, which transforms the income taxed by the IRS at 12%, 24%, and 35% into income taxed by the IRS at over 27%, 39% and 50% respectively... plus extra 2.9% tax on all income above about $136k or so, plus the AMT, plus the state tax. I figured it out exactly one year, and it added up to 47% of my gross income going on taxes.


PS - I revised numbers since FICA % actually increased since I started working - I didn't monitor the increases since that year when I paid 47% in taxes, I just could not bear to look at the %s again, I just compute what I am required to compute in tax forms without thinking what % of income my taxes represent, and I pay it... I believe the %s above are current as of now - if they aren't, they are higher, not lower. I do not pay taxes of that magnitude (ie, 50%) any more because I cut down on work massively, in order to fit into the 24% IRS bracket. I think I now pay only about 30%. I figured I would not work a full year if I could take home a similar amount of after-tax income whether I work 12 months or only 5 months. One way to decrease taxes while increasing the enjoyment of life. There was a moment, swimming in Polynesia in May 2013, when I thought of all the money that welfare people were not getting out of me at that moment because I was not working - I felt as happy as a dolphin!


And for the record also, I HAVE paid NY state tax in recent years because I have worked in Upstate NY occasionally.

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-05-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM
 
Location: New York
3,570 posts, read 3,244,874 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
You can't declare "everything" as a business expense, not in my profession (which is as far from paper pushing as anyone could imagine). The only things I ever deducted as business expense were my fully self-paid health insurance, cost of licensing every two years in multiple states (mandatory for physicians), and travel to get emergently where they needed me, if the hospital with which I contracted did not cover the transport. I never even deducted the eligible cost of meals while traveling away from home for work (figuring that I would not be eating differently whether I was working in my home city or elsewhere - I only eat in order to live, not the way around). My self-emplyed tax deductions never exceeded 3% of my income, while my total taxes approached 50% of my income in many years. My continued assertion is that you have no clue when commenting about my work, my taxes, or any kind of enterprise, major or otherwise. If you knew what self-employed people pay in taxes, you would know, eg, that FICA taxes are over 15%, which transforms the income taxed by the IRS at 12%, 24%, and 35% into income taxed by the IRS at over 27%, 39% and 50% respectively... plus extra 2.9% tax on all income above about $136k or so, plus the AMT, plus the state tax. I figured it out exactly one year, and it added up to 47% of my gross income going on taxes.


PS - I revised numbers since FICA % actually increased since I started working - I didn't monitor the increases since that year when I paid 47% in taxes, I just could not bear to look at the %s again, I just compute what I am required to compute in tax forms without thinking what % of income my taxes represent, and I pay it... I believe the %s above are current as of now - if they aren't, they are higher, not lower. I do not pay taxes of that magnitude (ie, 50%) any more because I cut down on work massively, in order to fit into the 24% IRS bracket. I think I now pay only about 30%. I figured I would not work a full year if I could take home a similar amount of after-tax income whether I work 12 months or only 5 months. One way to decrease taxes while increasing the enjoyment of life. There was a moment, swimming in Polynesia in May 2013, when I thought of all the money that welfare people were not getting out of me at that moment because I was not working - I felt as happy as a dolphin!


And for the record also, I HAVE paid NY state tax in recent years because I have worked in Upstate NY occasionally.
Why are you worried about the pennies that the "welfare people" are getting out of your pocket rather than the 1,000s that the irresponsible bankers and the war mongers are getting out of your pocket?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-06-2020, 01:44 PM
 
4,290 posts, read 1,576,491 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Why are you worried about the pennies that the "welfare people" are getting out of your pocket rather than the 1,000s that the irresponsible bankers and the war mongers are getting out of your pocket?

Welfare people are not taking just pennies. Public housing for 800,000 New Yorkers who use it costs far more than pennies per taxpayer. Monetary system and national defense are things I need in order to survive, so I will fund them voluntarily, they are not stealing anything out of my pocket. Five kids of a welfare queen are not something I need for survival or for anything, so I do not see why I should be funding them.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-06-2020, 03:50 PM
 
Location: New York
3,570 posts, read 3,244,874 times
Reputation: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Welfare people are not taking just pennies. Public housing for 800,000 New Yorkers who use it costs far more than pennies per taxpayer. Monetary system and national defense are things I need in order to survive, so I will fund them voluntarily, they are not stealing anything out of my pocket. Five kids of a welfare queen are not something I need for survival or for anything, so I do not see why I should be funding them.
The national budget shows that dollar per dollar, these unfortunate souls that had a bad start in life, and often time mental illness, take a lot less than a military industrial complex that makes contractors rich, military personnel poor, and costs 10x more than the top 10 countries combined. We don't need 4 billion dollar planes.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-06-2020, 04:04 PM
 
4,290 posts, read 1,576,491 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
The national budget shows that dollar per dollar, these unfortunate souls that had a bad start in life, and often time mental illness, take a lot less than a military industrial complex that makes contractors rich, military personnel poor, and costs 10x more than the top 10 countries combined. We don't need 4 billion dollar planes.

Sorry, I had a turbo-bad start in life, so that particular excuse does not work with me. And I know what a war is, so I don't mind that plane considering the position of the US in the global scheme of things. A $4-billion plane that keeps bombs from falling on the heads of 330,000,000 people is worth the cost of $12 per person. I'll contribute my $12 for that plane, no problem.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-06-2020, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Montreal
873 posts, read 327,764 times
Reputation: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Sorry, I had a turbo-bad start in life, so that particular excuse does not work with me. And I know what a war is, so I don't mind that plane considering the position of the US in the global scheme of things. A $4-billion plane that keeps bombs from falling on the heads of 330,000,000 people is worth the cost of $12 per person. I'll contribute my $12 for that plane, no problem.
You should subtract the welfare queens and their nasty offspring from the warhead protection programme. Just sayin'. Who needs them?

Pesky little welfare queens and their children.


We travel single, oh
Maybe we're lucky
But I don't know

With them just let one kid fall down
And seven mothers faint
I guess we're both happy
But maybe, we ain't

People...
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world
We're children, needing other children
And yet letting a grown-up pride
Hide all the need inside
Acting more like children than children

Lovers...
Are very special people
They're the luckiest people in the world
With one person
One very special person
A feeling deep in your soul
Says you were half now you're whole
No more hunger and thirst
First be a person who needs people
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world

A feeling deep in your soul
Says you were half now you're whole
No more hunger and thirst
First be a person who needs people
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world

People by Jule Styne

Sung by Barbra, of course.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-06-2020, 08:19 PM
 
3,237 posts, read 812,962 times
Reputation: 1947
it's quite easy.
live frugally. rent a 1 bedroom in a middle class asian neighborhood like flushing or bayside or sunset park. the schools are automatically better because the kids are actually obedient and do not need much supervision to behave in class. then when they are of HS age, go to a specialized HS like stuyvesant.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top