Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 09:49 AM

817 posts, read 599,553 times

Advertisements

A lot (most) of people live somewhere in NYC on far less than 75k/year. But I'm wondering how well they are actually living. Is it possible to live in a safe neighborhood, not in Morris County (or really anywhere in the suburbs), and not in a literal shoebox run by the Russian mafia, in NYC on less than 75k/year for a family with kids? I'm not talking about major travel, private school, much eating out, Alfa Romeros, etc. I'm talking about living frugally, but safely and within NYC, on 70k a year. Is this even possible?

Old 12-23-2019, 09:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
A lot (most) of people live somewhere in NYC on far less than 75k/year. But I'm wondering how well they are actually living. Is it possible to live in a safe neighborhood, not in Morris County (or really anywhere in the suburbs), and not in a literal shoebox run by the Russian mafia, in NYC on less than 75k/year for a family with kids? I'm not talking about major travel, private school, much eating out, Alfa Romeros, etc. I'm talking about living frugally, but safely and within NYC, on 70k a year. Is this even possible?
It is, you will just be living in very close quarters

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-23-2019, 10:42 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Yea, but levels of comfort vary greatly. How big of a family are you talking about? Also, what's the context?

For example, one context might be a family with a small child where there's one primary breadwinner making that money, but the job has good job security and great benefits that cover healthcare including dental, has a good pension, and does not require having a car to do their job and the other spouse is a homemaker which then means not having to pay for daycare and such. They won't be flying high on 70k a year, but it's at least somewhat manageable.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, but levels of comfort vary greatly. How big of a family are you talking about? Also, what's the context?

For example, one context might be a family with a small child where there's one primary breadwinner making that money, but the job has good job security and great benefits that cover healthcare including dental, has a good pension, and does not require having a car to do their job and the other spouse is a homemaker which then means not having to pay for daycare and such. They won't be flying high on 70k a year, but it's at least somewhat manageable.
Maybe two or three kids, solid and cheap health care, only one parent working so no day care, and either a cheap car or easily accessible to the subway.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Also key term: Mitchell-Lama

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Maybe two or three kids, solid and cheap health care, only one parent working so no day care, and either a cheap car or easily accessible to the subway.

My question is: what makes a person incapable of earning more than$ 75k per year think that they are capable of adequately parenting three kids? Alfa Romeo (not Romero) is way less expensive than raising three kids. A Rolls Royce is less expensive.

Alpha Romeos cost between $40k and $75k, Rolls Royces start around $450k, three kids cost about $750k to raise til age 18, and that is just the national average (not NYC), assuming public schools and average healthy kids with no particular problems.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
My question is: what makes a person incapable of earning more than$ 75k per year think that they are capable of adequately parenting three kids? Alfa Romeo (not Romero) is way less expensive than raising three kids. A Rolls Royce is less expensive.

Alpha Romeos cost between $40k and $75k, Rolls Royces start around $450k, three kids cost about $750k to raise til age 18, and that is just the national average (not NYC), assuming public schools and average healthy kids with no particular problems.
You're really arguing that you can't be a quality parent if you don't make more than $75k a year?

The Internet is really a strange place.

Last edited by ForeignCrunch; 12-23-2019 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-23-2019, 12:26 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
You're really arguing that you can't be a quality parent if you don't make more than $75k a year?

Maybe have a kid or two before saying something so truly stupid.

Yeah, I am arguing that you can't be a quality parent OF THREE KIDS on $75k, which funds also have to support two adults - not in most US cities, not remotely in NYC. I don't have to have kids (and will not ever have them - at the age of almost 60 I can say that with certainty :-) to be aware of what kids need, since I had been a kid for the whole first 18 years of my life.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:19 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:

The Internet is really a strange place.

Excerpt:You're really arguing that you can't be a quality parent if you don't make more than $75k a year?
Opinion: In New York? I would agree with the poster. Man cannot live on bread alone............

Old 12-23-2019, 01:24 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
It can be done, but you wont be saving much..

3 kids, need a 3 br at least.$2800+ housing

Public school free$

Bjs,costco,walmart for food

And clothing the same, or old navy comes in the clutch.

Used car,use public transport for work

Eat out twice a month.

You will do better on $100k per year.

Don't let anyone stop you from having kids and a family. It gets expensive during Christmas or if flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City