U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 06:34 PM

7,708 posts, read 3,246,548 times

Advertisements

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...jWFRVT_s7o20P4

Just before Christmas 1984 — 35 years ago — Bernie Goetz opened fire on four black young men on a Manhattan subway train.

Fearing he was being mugged, Goetz shot them before jumping off the train and disappearing into the subway tunnel.

The media quickly dubbed him “The Subway Vigilante.” A week later, Goetz turned himself in and confessed that he acted in self-defense.

The incident sparked a racial firestorm and resonated with New Yorkers worn down by rampant crime.

Many New Yorkers hailed him a hero, praising the "vigilante" due to New York's high crime rate.

Was the "Death Wish Gunman" or "Subway Vigilante" trying to protect himself, or were his actions racially motivated? PIX11's documentary series Only in New York examined the iconic New York story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 09:16 PM

12,483 posts, read 4,136,139 times
Opinion:
Our wonderful Mayor has set the stage for the return of the 70's.
I always wanted to feel young but not in this way............................

Old 12-26-2019, 09:17 PM

29,138 posts, read 41,904,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
I always wanted to feel young but not in this way............................
Can I ask you a question?

Let's say tomorrow goes to 1978 NYC levels, automatic

Then what?

Obviously you're concerned about it given the post level,

So then what happens? You brought it up not me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-26-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Opinion:
I don't think so. Let's hope not! Those subway cars. Wow. I'm just surprised they were still in that state well into the early 80's. I want to know when did they start to clean up. Was it as late as the 90's? I vaguely recall Times Square was still sketchy/raunchy even well into the late 80's... I'm all confused now.

Last edited by Aeran; 12-26-2019 at 10:12 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 09:51 PM

14,494 posts, read 10,400,348 times
A man pushed against the wall will eventually snap. Good for him. The right to self-defense is inherit in our citizenship. Too bad for NY’ers who don’t want to accept that.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-26-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can I ask you a question?

Let's say tomorrow goes to 1978 NYC levels, automatic

Then what?

Obviously you're concerned about it given the post level,

So then what happens? You brought it up not me.

Opinion:
The 70's/80's was an economically broke city and the population was fending for itself.
The city was controlled by mobsters,crime and the population was left to fend for itself.
It was not a pretty time..............bell bottoms...awful.............Real Estate bottomed out.
Neighborhoods burning,graffiti,looting and drugs just everywhere.The city had fallen to ruin.
while prices continued to go up. If folks think they are having a hard time now....dang ....I pray
they never even get to sample a bit of that past. Worth forgetting..................but the mayor and
his politicos have assured us a deficit that will mimic this past as he finds it impossible to get the
budget under control before his term is up....................

Old 12-26-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Opinion:
The 70's/80's was an economically broke city and the population was fending for itself.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.2405985

That infamous Daily News headline

Ford to City: Drop Dead

Old 12-26-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I don't think so. Those subway cars. Wow. I'm just surprised they were still in that state well into the early 80's. I want to know when did they start to clean up. Was it as late as the 90's? I vaguely recall Times Square was still sketchy/raunchy even into the late 80's... I'm all confused now.
Opinion:
I credit Mayor Giuliani during his pre-mayoral years going after mobsters ,drugs and crime around the mid 80's.
He pulled it all together during his term in office starting in the mid 90's by cleaning up and putting our city back on the map.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.2405985

That infamous Daily News headline

Ford to City: Drop Dead
Opinion:
Thank you for that tidbit. I almost forgot when then President Ford told N.Y. to drop dead..........Truly bad times.
The city was so dead ( no work ) I actually used to park my car on Wall st. Unbelievable.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Opinion:
I credit Mayor Giuliani during his pre-mayoral years going after mobsters ,drugs and crime around the mid 80's.
He pulled it all together during his term in office starting in the mid 90's by cleaning up and putting our city back on the map.
Yeah. I think it was around the mid 90's that I noticed the public parks/places, sidewalks were starting to look clean and people/tourist friendly. I just thought the subway cars were already clean by the 80's & thought the whole Bernie Goetz happened much earlier in the 70's.

Btw, that Daily News headline reminded me of all the other witty/pithy headlines from both the Daily News and NY Post over the years. I think they even had a competition of sorts.

This article mentions NY Post's infamous headline "Headless Body in Topless Bar".

https://nypost.com/2015/06/09/new-yo...to-dies-at-74/

“Headless Body in Topless Bar” ran on The Post’s front page on April 15, 1983. As witty as it was horrific, it expressed with unflinching precision the city’s *accelerating tailspin into an abyss of atrocious crime and chaos.

“Headless Body” soon became the stuff of pop-culture legend. “Saturday Night Live” worked it into routines and David Letterman invited Musetto onto his late-night show to talk about it. It even became the title of a 1990s crime movie.

And I forget which paper had the headline "More off and on than a hooker's pants"! or something like that. lol.

Last edited by Aeran; 12-26-2019 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City