Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 12:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Less than 2000 Hasidim/Haredim in Israel join the IDF per year due to a religious study exemption law which allows them to study the Torah. They age out of the enlistment requirement At 27.

https://www.ft.com/content/3f3c7658-...1-2b1d33ac3271
They will need to review their religious beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 12:06 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Friends of mine who are Jewish are now saying all Jews should take martial arts and purchase guns for self defense.
After reading some other webpages, I've come to find out that the Orthodox Jews in Upstate NY are now armed with assault rifles.

https://vosizneias.com/2019/12/29/wa...les-in-monsey/

Old 12-30-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
After reading some other webpages, I've come to find out that the Orthodox Jews in Upstate NY are now armed with assault rifles.

https://vosizneias.com/2019/12/29/wa...les-in-monsey/
That's really good to hear. People have to defend themselves.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:15 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Good! Happy to see them not only protecting themselves, but also thumbing their noses in the face of NY's unconstitutional gun laws.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 12-30-2019 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 01:17 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
That's really good to hear. People have to defend themselves.

Yes

Old 12-31-2019, 05:35 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Far left college students hate Israel and always have. Don’t pretend this is a right problem.
Unquestionably true. In fact, there is far more disdain for Israel on the left than on the right. But is that inherently antisemitism? I think not.

There are two equations that everybody should realize:

Jews ≠ Israel

Israel ≠ Jews

Although Israel would like you to think neither is correct. Israel, operating in its own best interests, wants the two conflated. I have to say in total honesty, I find Israel the enemy of my people: American Jews. Israel in so many wats has put US Jewry in jeopardy. Israel, IMHO, is the greatest source of antisemitism American Jews experience.

So those voices on the left...both on and off the campuses...have an exceedingly significant Jewish component. And why not? American Jews and Israeli Jews are politically poles apart. And for so many of us. Israel is the antithesis of Jewish valuesclike justice, equality, inclusion

There is today a true divide between those Jews who are zionists and support Israel and those who are the opposite...in far, far greater numbers than ever were. The unity myth is long shattered.

So if the presidential candidate from both parties who is the least supportive of Israel is an antisemite, he has my support. Even if Bernie is a nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:19 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,838 times
Quote:
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...ndwknd-vpx.cnn

Israeli officials condemn anti-Semitic attacks in NYC. Not just the attack in Rockland, there have been recent attacks in NYC, and in Jersey City.

Obviously the NYPD is going to patrol Hasidic neighborhoods more.

What else can be done to stop these attacks?
I'm not sure. I'm trying to unpack and break all of this down on why these things are happening, and on what or who should be blamed for this. When I take a panoramic look at things. I can see that much of the issues here stems from economics, poor education and mental health of black population in and around the NYC area. Academia, MSM and Social Activist media mainly puts the blame on Trump, and thus pushing more fake news when the race and gender of the suspects are release. Therefore we can not blame White Supremacy on this, the narrative in which Academia, Social Activist and MSM have been pushing for roughly five years as a Moral Panic or a Malaise in our society. Such nuances thanks to cameras can now be ruled out as false. I'm not even sure if these attacks are being committed by African Americans, or, Afro Latinos, Afro Caribbean's in the Brooklyn area. Another thing that I have noticed is that mainly the Hassidic community is being attacked and not the regular liberal and reformed Jews. Many liberal and reformed Jews tend to live in middle class and affluent parts of the city and the region, and don't live to close to or within areas of poverty.

Having more police presence is a start. Maybe having ADL and Southern Poverty Law Center to team up with BLM and other organizations to push for more education on the history of Anti-Semitism in black and brown areas of NYC. The city, the state and feds have spent billions on reducing poverty initiatives in low income areas. I'm not sure spending more money to reduce poverty will stop anti-Semitism, especially when looking at things in an historical lens.

All I have to say is that we live in divisive times right now. With the next decade approaching. I hope things can be a lot better for people as a whole.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I'm not sure. I'm trying to unpack and break all of this down on why these things are happening, and on what or who should be blamed for this. When I take a panoramic look at things. I can see that much of the issues here stems from economics, poor education and mental health of black population in and around the NYC area. Academia, MSM and Social Activist media mainly puts the blame on Trump, and thus pushing more fake news when the race and gender of the suspects are release. Therefore we can not blame White Supremacy on this, the narrative in which Academia, Social Activist and MSM have been pushing for roughly five years as a Moral Panic or a Malaise in our society. Such nuances thanks to cameras can now be ruled out as false. I'm not even sure if these attacks are being committed by African Americans, or, Afro Latinos, Afro Caribbean's in the Brooklyn area. Another thing that I have noticed is that mainly the Hassidic community is being attacked and not the regular liberal and reformed Jews. Many liberal and reformed Jews tend to live in middle class and affluent parts of the city and the region, and don't live to close to or within areas of poverty.

Having more police presence is a start. Maybe having ADL and Southern Poverty Law Center to team up with BLM and other organizations to push for more education on the history of Anti-Semitism in black and brown areas of NYC. The city, the state and feds have spent billions on reducing poverty initiatives in low income areas. I'm not sure spending more money to reduce poverty will stop anti-Semitism, especially when looking at things in an historical lens.

All I have to say is that we live in divisive times right now. With the next decade approaching. I hope things can be a lot better for people as a whole.
The bolded things have to be done. In the meantime, I expect Hasidics to arm themselves.

Conspiracy theorists have long targeted Jews, including Black conspiracy theorists. Liberal and reform Jews to the average Black person look like any other white person. Hasidics on the other hand, are easy to identify.

This gets particularly bad in Brooklyn which has the poorest Black neighborhoods in the city.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:39 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,838 times
Quote:
The bolded things have to be done. In the meantime, I expect Hasidics to arm themselves.

Conspiracy theorists have long targeted Jews, including Black conspiracy theorists. Liberal and reform Jews to the average Black person look like any other white person. Hasidics on the other hand, are easy to identify.

This gets particularly bad in Brooklyn which has the poorest Black neighborhoods in the city.
The bold is very true. Also liberal and reform Jews do not live close to black and brown areas, and if they do, they live in well to do, or in gated communities like coops and condos with doormen downstairs. All of which makes them less likely to be targeted. Also Hassidic don't have money and wealth like liberal and reformed Jews, and are culturally and spiritually different. I remember reading years ago about Hassidic being on welfare and having poverty in an newspaper.

Another big problem is that plenty of liberal and reform Jews, participate in Social Activism causes. It will be hard and difficult for liberal and reform Jews to sort out the situation between Hassidics and blacks, while the big enemy supposed to be White Supremacy. In this quasi alliance, BLM, LGBT, Feminism and Social Activism. These types of people don't know what to do when marginalized or oppressed groups commit acts of racisms against other oppressed and marginalized groups. I actually spoke to a BLM activist who could not give me a clear answer on such, and puts blame on White Supremacy for creating racism and division. When you look at history. WHat is more worse? 400 years of slavery in the United States, vs 3000 years of oppression against Jews by various states like Soviet Union/Russia, Nazi Germany, Spanish Empire, Greek Empires, Roman Empires, Babylon and list goes on.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:42 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Can you believe that the sack of trash, sorry excuse for a mayor and other leftists are actually blaming President Trump for "creating an atmosphere" that led to these attacks? Newsflash: these people who are attacking Jews in NYC, NJ, and Monsy aren't Trump supporters. If anything, they have more in common with the left. Most of the antisemites I've encountered in my life have been rank leftists who tried to mask their antisemitism as being anti-Israel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City