Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:05 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Furthermore Mr. Gao now 63 immigrated to USA (legally or illegally) eight years ago. What did he expect? Coming here at 53 and retiring at 60? On who's dime?

You cannot come to USA legally without proof won't become a public charge; and for older persons that means showing significant assets.

Am guessing Mr. Gao was sponsored by his children or other family (how they got here is another story), which removes some of the asset requirements.

In any event did Mr Gao think he was going to only work a few years then kick back and live rest of his days retired? I don't think so.... He won't get much if any SS unless his work record racks up twenty or so years of contributions. That gets him into his seventies or worse eighties.

If he is 63, and immigrated 8 years ago, then he immigrated at the age of 55, ie, 5 years before he would receive retirement benefits in China. There must be much more to this story, because most people would time their immigration differently if it meant trading 5 more years of work + permanent retirement benefits in China, for working until they drop + no retirement benefits in the US. It is not clear why he didn't wait 5 years to get the Chinese pension, and then go to the US... but again, who knows what his story is, maybe there was something that was unbearable in China, or maybe he won an immigration lottery and that was his only chance to move to the US.

China does still have a strangely early retirement system: 60 years for all men, 50 years for women who do manual work, 55 years for all other women. How that is fundable is a mystery (but they are planning to raise the retirement age for everyone to 67! They do like swinging between extremes :-). I think they could afford early retirement historically partly because longevity is not great in China. The delicious Chinese food is full of sodium -> high blood pressure -> most people dying well before 80. But that could be changing, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 09:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
how do you get Longevity is not Great in China?
you thought china is a backward country or what? life expectancy in China is similar to US. In many modern chinese cities, people live much longer than in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
If he is 63, and immigrated 8 years ago, then he immigrated at the age of 55, ie, 5 years before he would receive retirement benefits in China. There must be much more to this story, because most people would time their immigration differently if it meant trading 5 more years of work + permanent retirement benefits in China, for working until they drop + no retirement benefits in the US. It is not clear why he didn't wait 5 years to get the Chinese pension, and then go to the US... but again, who knows what his story is, maybe there was something that was unbearable in China, or maybe he won an immigration lottery and that was his only chance to move to the US.

China does still have a strangely early retirement system: 60 years for all men, 50 years for women who do manual work, 55 years for all other women. How that is fundable is a mystery (but they are planning to raise the retirement age for everyone to 67! They do like swinging between extremes :-). I think they could afford early retirement historically partly because longevity is not great in China. The delicious Chinese food is full of sodium -> high blood pressure -> most people dying well before 80. But that could be changing, I don't know.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
how do you get Longevity is not Great in China?
you thought china is a backward country or what? life expectancy in China is similar to US. In many modern chinese cities, people live much longer than in US

Average life expectancy in the US is 5 years longer than in China for men, and 3 years longer for everybody overall. Those are pretty substantial differences, considering they are averages. People over 65 make about 9% of the population in China, and about 17% of the population in the US. People over 80 make about 2% of the population of China, while people over 85 (ie, 5 years older than I was able to find in the statistics for China) make about 4% of the US population. I follow the list of 100 oldest people in the world, and have seen one Chinese recently on the list for the first time (but I think even that person died, I'd have to check again). The list regularly contains about 50 people from Japan and about 25 from the US - among the remaining 25 about half is usually from France and Italy, the remaining few from various countries, pretty much never China.

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-02-2020 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-02-2020, 12:55 PM

China just got out of poverty over the last two decades. With increase in income, the life expectancy gap is closing between china and US. The most updated figure in 2018 is about 2.5 years. For the developed parts of China, life expectancy is far higher than US. In Hong Kong, it is 84 years, 6 years more than US

Quote:
Average life expectancy in the US is 5 years longer than in China for men, and 3 years longer for everybody overall. Those are pretty substantial differences, considering they are averages. People over 65 make about 9% of the population in China, and about 17% of the population in the US. People over 80 make about 2% of the population of China, while people over 85 (ie, 5 years older than I was able to find in the statistics for China) make about 4% of the US population. I follow the list of 100 oldest people in the world, and have seen one Chinese recently on the list for the first time (but I think even that person died, I'd have to check again). The list regularly contains about 50 people from Japan and about 25 from the US - among the remaining 25 about half is usually from France and Italy, the remaining few from various countries, pretty much never China.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:02 PM

30 posts, read 13,556 times
I would like to see a detailed report about how hard these immigrants have it, because frankly, I do not believe most of them.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
China just got out of poverty over the last two decades. With increase in income, the life expectancy gap is closing between china and US. The most updated figure in 2018 is about 2.5 years. For the developed parts of China, life expectancy is far higher than US. In Hong Kong, it is 84 years, 6 years more than US

It has less to do with poverty than lifestyle, in which food is a large element. Life expectancy for men in China has actually decreased in parallel with increasing standard of living. Again, high blood pressure is a big problem among the Chinese, and I suspect it is substantially related to sodium-laden diet. Maybe the longevity in Hong Kong has to do with seafood. Nations that eat a lot of fish and olive oil seem to have the longest-living populations.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:55 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
All I see is old Asians like 90 years old.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:59 PM

you can google, but China has doubled its average life expectancy over the past 70 years. Double. it definitely has a lot to income. Chinese living in Hongkong, Singapore or US have very similar diet as those in China

Quote:
It has less to do with poverty than lifestyle, in which food is a large element. Life expectancy for men in China has actually decreased in parallel with increasing standard of living. Again, high blood pressure is a big problem among the Chinese, and I suspect it is substantially related to sodium-laden diet. Maybe the longevity in Hong Kong has to do with seafood. Nations that eat a lot of fish and olive oil seem to have the longest-living populations.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 AM

30 posts, read 13,556 times
I do not believe these chinese. After a lifetime of poor me Gimme gimme gimme, accumulation of benefits and freebies. They are full of it. Many of those seniors will be taken care of by family and many of them own houses and businesses.

Watch the new movie The Parasite. Sums it all up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: