Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 04:29 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

https://qns.com/story/2019/12/31/lif...ff-retirement/

It’s almost 10 p.m. in downtown Flushing, and Ming Gao is busy cleaning up after a 10-hour day at C J Food Market where he works as a butcher.

Gao seemed tired. “Work is not easy,” he said. “I definitely wouldn’t work if I were in China. Life is too expensive here, and I want to help reduce the pressure on my children.”

Gao, 63, is only one of the large number of seniors living in Flushing who are working past 60, what is a normal retirement age in China. It has been eight years since he immigrated to the U.S. from China.

John Liu, 80, is actively seeking part-time jobs. He ran a small clothing factory before retiring two years ago, but he said he didn’t like retirement.

“If there is a job without a heavy physical requirement, I’ll go for it,” Liu said. “I can earn money while keeping busy. It’s good.”

According to a report this year by the Center for an Urban Future, an independent, nonpartisan policy organization, the number of New York state residents over 65 increased 26 percent over the last decade. Seniors are the fastest-growing segment of the state’s population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 06:05 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

It’s almost 10 p.m. in downtown Flushing, and Ming Gao is busy cleaning up after a 10-hour day at C J Food Market where he works as a butcher.

Gao seemed tired. “Work is not easy,” he said. “I definitely wouldn’t work if I were in China. Life is too expensive here, and I want to help reduce the pressure on my children.”

Gao, 63, is only one of the large number of seniors living in Flushing who are working past 60, what is a normal retirement age in China. It has been eight years since he immigrated to the U.S. from China.

John Liu, 80, is actively seeking part-time jobs. He ran a small clothing factory before retiring two years ago, but he said he didn’t like retirement.

“If there is a job without a heavy physical requirement, I’ll go for it,” Liu said. “I can earn money while keeping busy. It’s good.”

According to a report this year by the Center for an Urban Future, an independent, nonpartisan policy organization, the number of New York state residents over 65 increased 26 percent over the last decade. Seniors are the fastest-growing segment of the state’s population.
Half truths about China quote. China have various mandatory retirement age which is dragging the current China economy .

Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:

Is this even news? If so why?

First and foremost if these "immigrant" (legal or otherwise) seniors don't have even bare quarters of contributions they cannot get social security or even Medicare (last one am not 100% sure). So they will need to self fund their retirement. If they were sponsored by children to come to USA, those kids have legal responsibility to take care of their aged parents financially. This all would have been explained at the time.

Next why should elderly Chinese or anyone else be different from rest of us? Many whites, blacks, Latino/Hispanic, etc... all are facing lean to stark retirements for various reasons.

Finally not all these Chinese crying pour mouth are busted. Many have pretty good nest eggs stashed away in banks/financials or cash under mattress. They just have it stuck in their minds to leave something to the kids. So they starve themselves or otherwise live in poverty by not touching that money.

Many Asians own/work in all cash businesses. This usually means like many others there is some skimming off the top.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
They just want that new $15/hr MW.

and like my father, they may be afraid alzheimers will creep in, if they stop doing work, and staying active.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:34 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They just want that new $15/hr MW.

and like my father, they may be afraid alzheimers will creep in, if they stop doing work, and staying active.
That's what Tai Chi is for. And dancing. They've really picked up ballroom dancing as a hobby. Saw them everywhere (parks, public places) dancing the night away during the summer time.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
That's what Tai Chi is for. And dancing. They've really picked up ballroom dancing as a hobby. Saw them everywhere (parks, public places) dancing the night away during the summer time.
LOL some of them are too introverted for that.

Plus tai chi, ballroom dancing is only for so much time during the day. Work is for several hours.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:04 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

First and foremost if these "immigrant" (legal or otherwise) seniors don't have even bare quarters of contributions they cannot get social security or even Medicare (last one am not 100% sure). So they will need to self fund their retirement. If they were sponsored by children to come to USA, those kids have legal responsibility to take care of their aged parents financially. This all would have been explained at the time.

Next why should elderly Chinese or anyone else be different from rest of us? Many whites, blacks, Latino/Hispanic, etc... all are facing lean to stark retirements for various reasons.

Finally not all these Chinese crying pour mouth are busted. Many have pretty good nest eggs stashed away in banks/financials or cash under mattress. They just have it stuck in their minds to leave something to the kids. So they starve themselves or otherwise live in poverty by not touching that money.

Many Asians own/work in all cash businesses. This usually means like many others there is some skimming off the top.
all true ...

plus retirement is not a right . it is a privilege for those who can figure out how to afford not working. for many it may mean living golden girl style with others .

Old 01-01-2020, 05:11 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Furthermore Mr. Gao now 63 immigrated to USA (legally or illegally) eight years ago. What did he expect? Coming here at 53 and retiring at 60? On who's dime?

You cannot come to USA legally without proof won't become a public charge; and for older persons that means showing significant assets.

Am guessing Mr. Gao was sponsored by his children or other family (how they got here is another story), which removes some of the asset requirements.

In any event did Mr Gao think he was going to only work a few years then kick back and live rest of his days retired? I don't think so.... He won't get much if any SS unless his work record racks up twenty or so years of contributions. That gets him into his seventies or worse eighties.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:45 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Sponsors are legally responsible for only 10 years of who they bring in to the country.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:47 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
This article is ridiculously. “To be honest, it’s really hard to find a job for new senior immigrants who cannot speak English,” said Penny Shen, a senior coordinator at the Chinese-American Planning Council (CPC) in Flushing.
They are not entitled to jobs, especially if you can't speak English or are not legally allowed to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: