Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 01:48 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I don't quite understand how bussing students to schools out of their district and further from their homes will help an underperforming district? Is it that higher tax revenue will follow a student who originates from a wealthier area?
The types who come up with this nonsense view every issue from the standpoint of race. That's why.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Wow...use of violence itself says a lot about you.

If you believe use of violence to solve a problem is a solution, I can tell you now, it will only continue with more violence as follow. When you are finally ready to give in and make peace, it might be too late.

We are already living in a world with lot of hatred.

If you think having your kid with good education is the only solution, then you are wrong.

I don’t agree with what the current administration is trying to do, but you should not even think of use of violence at all. Period.
My view of parenting is different than yours I guess. My children are worth using violence to protect.

If my kids were bussed into an underperforming school, based solely on the racial claptrap these tyrants are pinning on us, they would face violence. That is a 100% fact. I won't allow that to happen, no matter what I have to do to ensure it. That's another fact.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-06-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosun View Post
Worst case hypothetical scenario:
An average middle class student lives in a safe neighborhood. She is within walking distance to her highly rated middle school she was zoned for. However, due to this new lottery system, she is chosen to go to a sub par school in a bad neighborhood that she has to take the bus to. Her parents now have to spend money on a MetroCard for her and worry about her schooling and safety.
This is what will NEVER happen to my daughters. Mark my words because if they try it, you'll very likely see me on the news kitted up sitting with them in their classrooms. Google what "kitted up" means for an example.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Well, here's what's happening. Some school districts are voting to merge with nearby schools to allow kids the right to attend those schools that border each other on separate district.

https://thecity.nyc/2019/12/two-broo...tegration.html

One of the proposal is to merge Forest Hills/Kew Gardens in Queens with Jamaica.

I think what these school administrators and politicians are missing is that the original school districts weren't racially segregated to begin with. Over time residents and buyers bought into districts that were favorable for their children.

This is why I believe these progressive ideas will fail because segregation happened because people chose with their wallets.

If you redrew the school district maps, the end result will be the same because people will choose where they feel they rather be and the government cannot change market forces.

NYC's real estate have not been hot lately because there's a lot of uncertainty created by DeBlasio. Nobody wants to move to a school district that will get merged with a poorer district.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill85 View Post
I would not try to outsmart the system. It sounds over the top but the education system is as old as the one the nazis used. Obama has likely tinkered with it some too.

The problems in the education system are worse than some might think. NYU has "POC Only Safe Zones" to protect the POC from all of the (non existent) white men. The POC kids love all of those pink rooms.

The problems run deep. Even if you home school a kid, they will eventually be blocked from jobs because the requirement is to be indoctrinated with cheap and racist CUNY style educations.

You would be surprised how little most jobs require now. All they need to know is your age and skin color. That is all they care about now. Job centers have replaced the word "skills" with skin color, age, gender, sexual preference.

Smarts have gone entirely out the window.
What is your issue with CUNY? CUNY is not that bad, however yes some of the Social Activist rhetoric is coming from gender, race LGBT black studies and so forth. CUNY is not alone in this rhetoric. This type of attitude and education is mainly coming from Coastal cities and the Chicago Gold Coast. Johnathan Haidt and Douglas Maury talk about this type of education and indoctrination. Also this type of rhetoric an belief is also coming from white Anglo nations with small but vocal minority groups. Woke ideology is not in places like Russia, China, or even Mexico.

The problem is this. As a society, Americans love to be outraged. I did a podcast about moral panics and moralism. Morality in America are controlled by 3 powerful institutions. Those powerful institutions are the government, the clergy and academia. The moral panic we see today in the past five years are coming out of academia. Movements like metoo, BLM are all out of academic circles. Not to say such movements are wrong, but are weaponized and hurt people in the middle who are actually innocent. 60 years ago the government pushed moral panic against civilians. If suspected of being a communists, your reputation and livelihood was ruined. 30 years ago the same happened with the satanic panic which was pushed by the clergy. Now academia has power and is pushing anti white, and anti male and anti straight rhetoric, along with pro Islam and pro illegal immigrant stances. People who graduate with such ideology end up in journalism, media, or having a job as an HR rep or Diversity Officer. I'm not saying such people are bad, but are taking things a bit far just like how the government took things far with Communists in the 1949s-1960s and with Anarchists in the 1900-1920s.

My best bet would be for Federal government and state government to remove funding for LGBT, black, feminists, gender studies, black studies and have those courses to be privately funded by the student, as well as Federal and state loans are not responsible for such courses for payment. Maybe colleges can have those course as affordable but don't amount to a 3.0 credit and should not be a major. And I say all of this as someone who is a POC and a first generation American as well as a liberal.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
This is how LI was setup and how it still is today, to prevent this. You go to the school that you are zoned for end of story. Real estate prices reflect this. We have 125 SD all local control. Yes the taxes are high but this rezoning crap can never happen due to the way things are. Sure a district can rezone within its boundaries but Hempstead ( low income) can't rezone into neighboring Garden city (upper middle class and above). As much as our taxes are dumb it prevents this crap that big bird is trying to pull. If it was ever tried it would make the mini conflict with Iran look like a bunch of toddlers playing with puppies.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
What is your issue with CUNY? CUNY is not that bad, however yes some of the Social Activist rhetoric is coming from gender, race LGBT black studies and so forth. CUNY is not alone in this rhetoric. This type of attitude and education is mainly coming from Coastal cities and the Chicago Gold Coast. Johnathan Haidt and Douglas Maury talk about this type of education and indoctrination. Also this type of rhetoric an belief is also coming from white Anglo nations with small but vocal minority groups. Woke ideology is not in places like Russia, China, or even Mexico.

The problem is this. As a society, Americans love to be outraged. I did a podcast about moral panics and moralism. Morality in America are controlled by 3 powerful institutions. Those powerful institutions are the government, the clergy and academia. The moral panic we see today in the past five years are coming out of academia. Movements like metoo, BLM are all out of academic circles. Not to say such movements are wrong, but are weaponized and hurt people in the middle who are actually innocent. 60 years ago the government pushed moral panic against civilians. If suspected of being a communists, your reputation and livelihood was ruined. 30 years ago the same happened with the satanic panic which was pushed by the clergy. Now academia has power and is pushing anti white, and anti male and anti straight rhetoric, along with pro Islam and pro illegal immigrant stances. People who graduate with such ideology end up in journalism, media, or having a job as an HR rep or Diversity Officer. I'm not saying such people are bad, but are taking things a bit far just like how the government took things far with Communists in the 1949s-1960s and with Anarchists in the 1900-1920s.

My best bet would be for Federal government and state government to remove funding for LGBT, black, feminists, gender studies, black studies and have those courses to be privately funded by the student, as well as Federal and state loans are not responsible for such courses for payment. Maybe colleges can have those course as affordable but don't amount to a 3.0 credit and should not be a major. And I say all of this as someone who is a POC and a first generation American as well as a liberal.
You asked what his issue was with CUNY and then went on to answer your own question.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You asked what his issue was with CUNY and then went on to answer your own question.
But I did not only mention CUNY, I also mentioned others. Columbia, NYU and Barnard are far worse in woke culture than CUNY.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
But I did not only mention CUNY, I also mentioned others. Columbia, NYU and Barnard are far worse in woke culture than CUNY.
True but CUNY being a public school is extra objectionable. Public colleges and universities should not be in the business of furthering a particular political agenda.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
True but CUNY being a public school is extra objectionable. Public colleges and universities should not be in the business of furthering a particular political agenda.
I agree with the last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City