U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2020, 12:00 PM
 
18 posts, read 27,270 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

My parents are gone to heaven :{.

I need a Lawyer Probate / Real estate in Bronx, NY to transfer a 2 family house to the 5 siblings names. The house been paid off a long time ago and no, leans. What exactly that i need to do ?


I believe i need to get a probate certificate.

been calling around for lawyers and getting crazy fees. Come ON why are Lawyers such a rip off. Yeah cause they got to pay for there schooling. Shu no one paid for mines. Any hoo Can someone recommend me a Not expensive lawyer and Trust worthy . I will be checking on there credentials.





Thank all so Much.
Janet Diaz
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2020, 02:28 PM
 
24,785 posts, read 17,328,302 times
Reputation: 18007
Smells like a scam:

https://therealdeal.com/2020/01/07/t...-anytime-soon/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 04:04 PM
 
Location: The Ranch
23,421 posts, read 26,643,486 times
Reputation: 9733
Quote:
Originally Posted by janey6152 View Post
My parents are gone to heaven :{.

I need a Lawyer Probate / Real estate in Bronx, NY to transfer a 2 family house to the 5 siblings names. The house been paid off a long time ago and no, leans. What exactly that i need to do ?


I believe i need to get a probate certificate.

been calling around for lawyers and getting crazy fees. Come ON why are Lawyers such a rip off. Yeah cause they got to pay for there schooling. Shu no one paid for mines. Any hoo Can someone recommend me a Not expensive lawyer and Trust worthy . I will be checking on there credentials.





Thank all so Much.
Janet Diaz
Quote:
been calling around for lawyers and getting crazy fees.
Usually it's a easy process. Nearly anywhere outside of NYC, it would run around $1200. But NYC has so much red tape to do it that not only do lawyers charge their own hourly fees but in addition charge high hourly fees for the runners they send out to get everything stamped. So, what was the range of fees that you hit?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 12:02 PM
 
123 posts, read 77,576 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Usually it's a easy process. Nearly anywhere outside of NYC, it would run around $1200. But NYC has so much red tape to do it that not only do lawyers charge their own hourly fees but in addition charge high hourly fees for the runners they send out to get everything stamped. So, what was the range of fees that you hit?
try to reach out to a legal services organization, if they cant help they'll point you in the right dirrection
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 12:47 PM
 
4,514 posts, read 3,998,756 times
Reputation: 4434
Did your parents have a will written by a lawyer? Did they have other assets in addition to the house? If they had a legal will, it's possible to go through probate without a lawyer but not advisable. See link.


https://info.legalzoom.com/probate-new-york-3805.html


Check the attorney referral service for the NYC Bar.


https://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-help/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 01:55 PM
 
2,975 posts, read 1,227,352 times
Reputation: 7931
Are paralegals legal in your state? They are much cheaper. We did a quit claim deed ourselves but not in your state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 01:58 PM
 
9,590 posts, read 9,838,399 times
Reputation: 11390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Are paralegals legal in your state? They are much cheaper. We did a quit claim deed ourselves but not in your state.
Nah, NY is a whole different animal for any type of legal transaction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 02:05 PM
 
18 posts, read 27,270 times
Reputation: 19
@Pruzhany I got quoted 5,000 , 7,000, and 10,000.
we asked a freiend thats a lawyer to recommend us to someone and the lady wanted a retainer fee of $4,500, a filing fee of $1,275.00 and charges 475. an hour. Are you Kidding me.



@Wells5 Yes both parents left a will from a lawyer . There are 2 homes. 1 in Bronx, NY and the other in Puerto Rico which is a whole different Entity........


I'll call the legal services organization. and see what they say.
thank u
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 02:54 PM
 
18 posts, read 27,270 times
Reputation: 19
Question: I was told i can go to the Bronx court house with my brother who is the Executor and file a probate . Can we ???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 05:01 PM
 
4,514 posts, read 3,998,756 times
Reputation: 4434
Quote:
Originally Posted by janey6152 View Post
Question: I was told i can go to the Bronx court house with my brother who is the Executor and file a probate . Can we ???
Not recommended. You'll need to bring lots of forms and petitions, which must be filled out exactly. You should be able to consult an estate lawyer for a small fee. If you don't have the money to pay for a lawyer, legal aid can probably help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top