Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 07:28 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's starting to get crowded on UES, and things are only going to get worse as more development is planned.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/06/second...-mass-transit/

Candle 19 restaurant on 79th and Lexington has closed; sign in window says "due to real estate development activity". Restaurant next door was emptied out leaving just that Republic bank branch on corner, and am sure its days are numbered.

New buildings are going up on 79th between Lexington and Park, then one block east going towards Madison is another new development.

South west corner of Madison and 86th has been emptied out (Demarchelier Bistro, Purdy Optics, Morni restaurant, Prestige Cleaners, Chuckies, etc...)
Opinion:
Greeeeeeeeeeeeed....................is the driving force in New York. Space is limited to building outward but not upward.
Any low rise from residential to the Post Office is a potential target for the most money hungry of developers..........
No reason to travel to Dubai............it's here.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 09:32 AM

15,846 posts, read 14,479,382 times
^
Greed is good. Greed drives the economy. Greed is why most people have jobs. Greed built the housing most of us live in (unless you live in the projects, and, if you do, how's that working out?)

I'm sick and tired of economic illiterates who have chosen to live in the highly desirable commercial capital of the country, if not the world, bellyaching about how expensive it is, and how the "greedy" developers and landlords are drive up housing prices. I'll let you in on little secret, they can't drive up prices unless they have people willing to pay them (which they're finding out not the hard way, as people are less willing to, and properties are sitting.) If anyone can't afford to pay what it take to live here, there's a whole huge country, and even world, out there where someone can live MUCH cheaper than NYC. So if you can't afford to live here, GTFO.

Last edited by BBMW; 01-09-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-09-2020, 07:06 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
Greed is good. Greed drives the economy. Greed is why most people have jobs. Greed built the housing most of us live in (unless you live in the projects, and, if you do, how's that working out?)

I'm sick and tired of economic illiterates who have chosen to live in the highly desirable commercial capital of the country, if not the world, bellyaching about how expensive it is, and how the "greedy" developers and landlords are drive up housing prices. I'll let you in on little secret, they can't drive up prices unless they have people willing to pay them (which they're finding out not the hard way, as people are less willing to, and properties are sitting.) If anyone can't afford to pay what it take to live here, there's a whole huge country, and even world, out there where someone can live MUCH cheaper than NYC. So if you can't afford to live here, GTFO.
Lol it cost me 10K to move a zipcode over

I hear you tho.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
^

Yet according to you guys, city officials don’t seem to be able to keep people safe, and it may get worse this summer when it’s warm enough for people to move outside. Housing project people don’t leave, nor do the homeless.

Why would you tell a working class retiree to get out of town, and not the “underclass†that may just end up putting a knife in your back? Better to close to a retiree than a gangster, particularly since the NYPD not good at protecting.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:46 PM

City officials could keep people safe. This has been proven. They just don't want to.

As far as the housing project residents and the underclass (insofar as they're different), see above. They're too loyal a voting block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yet according to you guys, city officials don’t seem to be able to keep people safe, and it may get worse this summer when it’s warm enough for people to move outside. Housing project people don’t leave, nor do the homeless.

Why would you tell a working class retiree to get out of town, and not the “underclass†that may just end up putting a knife in your back? Better to close to a retiree than a gangster, particularly since the NYPD not good at protecting.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 PM

I don't know where your from/too locations are, but one zipcode isn't likely far enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol it cost me 10K to move a zipcode over

I hear you tho.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:02 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
I don't know where your from/too locations are, but one zipcode isn't likely far enough.
No, I was referring to the cost more than the distance, but distance is a little bit of it too. It's really not as easy for people to relocate as you make it seem.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-10-2020, 04:06 PM

There's a thread running about population drop NYS. Someone's figured out how to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No, I was referring to the cost more than the distance, but distance is a little bit of it too. It's really not as easy for people to relocate as you make it seem.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Blocks on the West Side of THird Ave, all 5 story walk-ups, between 90th and 94th are vacating their ground floor retail outlets, always a clue, so I am guessing we will have a couple of immense towers going up after the apartments are emptied and the buildings razed.

The only way this trend will be stopped or at least slowed is if the high end market continues to deteriorate because of over-supply.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:49 AM

When you say the high end market, you have to qualify how high end. The market for $10 million + and ++ apartments has cratered. Between $1 and $5 million may be okay. The developers can cater to the latter, and still probably make money.

Add to this the fact that the city has made it very difficult to ratchet up the rents for existing regulated apartments. This is going to push those apartment to be torn down and rebuilt, and that will likely be condos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Blocks on the West Side of THird Ave, all 5 story walk-ups, between 90th and 94th are vacating their ground floor retail outlets, always a clue, so I am guessing we will have a couple of immense towers going up after the apartments are emptied and the buildings razed.

The only way this trend will be stopped or at least slowed is if the high end market continues to deteriorate because of over-supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City