Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 07:01 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This is nothing but political pandering to a big voting block.
That is disgusting.

Jews are the primary victims of hate crimes in New York City. About 60% of hate crimes are hate crimes against Jews.

Are you implying that Jewish people are ENJOYING that there is an epidemic of hate crimes against them so that they can not be pandered to with cameras and actual police protection?

Do you have any idea how terrifying these hate crimes are?

Have you been paying attention at all to what is going on in this city, this state, and this country in recent weeks, months, and years in terms of the increase in anti-Semitic hate crimes?

Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
This comment is disingenuous.
This isn't a case of certain neighborhoods have above average crime problems.

It's not a "conflict between" chasidic Jews and their neighbors.

As far as I've heard, chasidic Jews are not attacking their neighbors in any large numbers (or in any numbers at all?)

This is a case where one community, chassidic/visibly Orthodox Jews, are being systematically targeted and physically assaulted in their own neighborhoods.
disingenuous is it, why because were don't hear about such measures being taken when other areas are experiencing problems. I don't condone any group being picked on and attacked regardless how they choose to observe or live.

I haven't experienced the communities in the city but from my experiences growing up in Rockland they don't do much to endear themselves to their secular neighbors, in fact they make pretty bad neighbors. Although they may appear to live a life driven by their faith they have all the vices and problems you find in the rest of society although the numbers may be lower.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
disingenuous is it, why because were don't hear about such measures being taken when other areas are experiencing problems. I don't condone any group being picked on and attacked regardless how they choose to observe or live.

I haven't experienced the communities in the city but from my experiences growing up in Rockland they don't do much to endear themselves to their secular neighbors, in fact they make pretty bad neighbors. Although they may appear to live a life driven by their faith they have all the vices and problems you find in the rest of society although the numbers may be lower.
Lots of communities don't make such great neighbors (if we are going to generalize).
That doesn't mean they deserve to be targeted due to their race, ethnicity, or religion with violent hate crime assaults.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:08 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
That is disgusting.

Jews are the primary victims of hate crimes in New York City. About 60% of hate crimes are hate crimes against Jews.

Are you implying that Jewish people are ENJOYING that there is an epidemic of hate crimes against them so that they can not be pandered to with cameras and actual police protection?

Do you have any idea how terrifying these hate crimes are?

Have you been paying attention at all to what is going on in this city, this state, and this country in recent weeks, months, and years in terms of the increase in anti-Semitic hate crimes?
Then you know nothing about Orthodox Jews. In numerous Orthodox Jewish communities, if the leading Rabbi of the community is convinced that their community would gain something by voting for a certain politician then that Rabbi sends out an order to their sect to vote for that person. Hence "Block Voting". Historically in NY area it's been Democrats at the City/State level to do so.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Lots of communities don't make such great neighbors (if we are going to generalize).
That doesn't mean they deserve to be targeted due to their race, ethnicity, or religion with violent hate crime assaults.
Is there a part of "I don't condone any group being picked on and attacked regardless how they choose to observe or live. " that you didn't comprehend?

No one is condoning the attacks.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Is there a part of "I don't condone any group being picked on and attacked regardless how they choose to observe or live. " that you didn't comprehend?

No one is condoning the attacks.
That's good to hear.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Then you know nothing about Orthodox Jews. In numerous Orthodox Jewish communities, if the leading Rabbi of the community is convinced that their community would gain something by voting for a certain politician then that Rabbi sends out an order to their sect to vote for that person. Hence "Block Voting". Historically in NY area it's been Democrats at the City/State level to do so.
I know plenty about Orthodox Jews.

If Orthodox Jews, and their rabbis, choose to vote as a block, that is their right.

Other groups are free to attempt to do so as well if they feel it would be advantageous for them to do so.

There is nothing illegal about that.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:01 AM

/\

But when they use that "voting block" to gain control such as the case of the East Ramapo School Board and then systematically damage it they give meaning to the phrase "mamzer"

one of many links: https://forward.com/opinion/national...-jewish-power/

Old 01-13-2020, 07:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
I know plenty about Orthodox Jews.

If Orthodox Jews, and their rabbis, choose to vote as a block, that is their right.

Other groups are free to attempt to do so as well if they feel it would be advantageous for them to do so.

There is nothing illegal about that.
You know nothing about Hasidic/Haredi Jews. There is no "and". The Rabbi makes the decision and it's written in stone.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:32 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IForgotMyOldAccount View Post
pretty sure smart criminals gunna be wearing a ski-mask

If I wear a mask, how are they going to know it's me to give me free Mets tix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City