Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They’re often cost-effective over a period of several years if not longer and involve money put up out front.
Not cost effective if your SFH is build right next to an apartment building and half of your roof is in permanent shadow, or if your roof doesn't have the square footage, or if your roof doesn't have south-facing side. The latter may be not an issue later if solar prices drop more. Also not cost effective if you're planning to rent it out and not live yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 01:27 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Not cost effective if your SFH is build right next to an apartment building and half of your roof is in permanent shadow, or if your roof doesn't have the square footage, or if your roof doesn't have south-facing side. The latter may be not an issue later if solar prices drop more. Also not cost effective if you're planning to rent it out and not live yourself.
Obviously, I was talking about the general case, but if you want to go into specifics, then the specifics are in the regulations posted which have a lot of carve outs and alternative uses for when solar panels do not work. I'm not going to list every single permutation of circumstances because that would take a really long time.

Does NYC allow for renting to others with electrical utilities built into (essentially a flat fee) the rental price?

Anyhow, the price for solar has dropped an incredible amount over the last decade. I reckon there's a lot of people who haven't checked recently.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What's been sitting on every roof in Israel for decades no matter the size of the home?
You do realize Israel has far more clear sunny days on average than NYC area; you realize that, don't cha?

This is just more liberal hippy-dippy green stuff being pushed of of Manhattan; a place where few own their homes and thus are well insulated (via rent regulation, subsizied housing or whatever) from true costs of housing

OTOH out on SI and other places where people earn and buy their own homes are now going to be forced to deal with this hot mess.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Obviously, I was talking about the general case, but if you want to go into specifics, then the specifics are in the regulations posted which have a lot of carve outs and alternative uses for when solar panels do not work. I'm not going to list every single permutation of circumstances because that would take a really long time.

Does NYC allow for renting to others with electrical utilities built into (essentially a flat fee) the rental price?

Anyhow, the price for solar has dropped an incredible amount over the last decade. I reckon there's a lot of people who haven't checked recently.
Again, if solar made financial sense in NYC, you wouldn't have to 'mandate' anything. People would voluntarily install the systems. Perhaps in a few years it will, but it doesn't now in most cases. The few people who have it now did it purely for environmental reasons, not economic. They are not making money on it. You'd also see the houses south of NYC having them everywhere, but its not happening. Maryland solar install is about ~15-20% cheaper than NYC (after all of the tax credits), AND it has more solar days, and it still doesn't make sense there. Despite tax credits, cost of electricity, depreciation, 0% interest loans, etc. it is still not worth it for an average home owner. Trust me, a lot of people actually are doing the math. The prices you see solar companies quote are pure propaganda too. Even googling most sites claim solar in NY is like $3.20 cent per watt, but when you actually call them the cost balloons to about $4.50 per watt. The "average" $3.20 price they are quoting is for huge installations like what a WalMart's roof can support. If they manage to bring install costs down by about 50% and then price per watt down by another ~40%, you'd get the math of what current Arizona residents get, which barely maaaybe makes financial sense in certain use cases.
If you can get a 10kW system at about $5-7k (not $25k) at $2 per watt (not $4.50) talk to me. At these prices the math does make sense for almost everyone with a good roof area.

Last edited by Gantz; 01-14-2020 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2020, 03:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You do realize Israel has far more clear sunny days on average than NYC area; you realize that, don't cha?

This is just more liberal hippy-dippy green stuff being pushed of of Manhattan; a place where few own their homes and thus are well insulated (via rent regulation, subsizied housing or whatever) from true costs of housing

OTOH out on SI and other places where people earn and buy their own homes are now going to be forced to deal with this hot mess.
I've seen numerous homes on the Island that have them.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
There are some homes in NYC that have them too. They either got some very good one-off promo deals, they themselves are employed by a solar company, or they are doing it for environmental reasons. They are not financially worth it.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:21 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Ok, we're talking about NYC here, please keep up.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, we're talking about NYC here, please keep up.
And the only way people can tell that they walked from Queens into Nassau is by the signs changing colors. So What?

Old 01-14-2020, 05:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Again, if solar made financial sense in NYC, you wouldn't have to 'mandate' anything. People would voluntarily install the systems. Perhaps in a few years it will, but it doesn't now in most cases. The few people who have it now did it purely for environmental reasons, not economic. They are not making money on it. You'd also see the houses south of NYC having them everywhere, but its not happening. Maryland solar install is about ~15-20% cheaper than NYC (after all of the tax credits), AND it has more solar days, and it still doesn't make sense there. Despite tax credits, cost of electricity, depreciation, 0% interest loans, etc. it is still not worth it for an average home owner. Trust me, a lot of people actually are doing the math. The prices you see solar companies quote are pure propaganda too. Even googling most sites claim solar in NY is like $3.20 cent per watt, but when you actually call them the cost balloons to about $4.50 per watt. The "average" $3.20 price they are quoting is for huge installations like what a WalMart's roof can support. If they manage to bring install costs down by about 50% and then price per watt down by another ~40%, you'd get the math of what current Arizona residents get, which barely maaaybe makes financial sense in certain use cases.
If you can get a 10kW system at about $5-7k (not $25k) at $2 per watt (not $4.50) talk to me. At these prices the math does make sense for almost everyone with a good roof area.
This forum might be a good place to figure the actual numbers out. I also read $3.20 for residential rooftop, but haven’t heard of it being actually 40% higher than that across the board. When did you actually get someone in to do the quote and did you try multiple companies? I know homeowners in New Jersey and it made financial sense to them and a friend who recently bought a home on the Island is saving up to go through with installing a system for their home (they insist that purchasing it is how it makes financial sense), but maybe something is different within NYC even if those right outside the borders see it as a good economic proposition. Are our net metering policies radically different? Are our electricity rates much lower?

Old 01-14-2020, 05:12 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
This forum might be a good place to figure the actual numbers out. I also read $3.20 for residential rooftop, but haven’t heard of it being actually 40% higher than that across the board. When did you actually get someone in to do the quote and did you try multiple companies? I know homeowners in New Jersey and it made financial sense to them and a friend who recently bought a home on the Island is saving up to go through with installing a system for their home (they insist that purchasing it is how it makes financial sense), but maybe something is different within NYC even if those right outside the borders see it as a good economic proposition. Are our net metering policies radically different? Are our electricity rates much lower?
Don't bother, the people you are in dialogue with have not received any quotes for themselves

The industry wouldn't even exist if it was not beneficial somehow, or are people simply just buying and not doing research (I don't think so when it comes to such a big purchase)

Recently, sombody revived a thread on geothermal heating. Now that you will never see in any home under 7 figures in NYC, its simply too expensive to install and eons to recoup, that will never be made law

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City