Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 11:32 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

I don't know what there is to "study". Unless the same police officer is allowing white people to jump turnstiles or fare beat, and then in the same vein, arresting blacks and hispanics for the same violation....there really is no argument.

Simply arresting more minorities for violations of this nature does not prove that there is a bias.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And this data is important to who? Who needs it?
Exactly -- no one needs it, because no one should care what color the person is who is getting caught for farebeating. Just let the police do their jobs - if they see someone evading the fare, then let them give out a summons or whatever the current punishment is (I wouldn't know - I always pay mine.) The police shouldn't have to think about what race or color someone is before doling out the summons.

Obviously Letitia James cares about the demographics because she's crying about how her people are getting caught stealing fares too often.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:30 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
The entire debate over fare evasion is stupid. There's a solution to getting NYers to pay their fare and it's pretty simple:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Turnstiles.jpg

Old 01-17-2020, 01:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Turnstile Jumpers Aren’t What’s Ruining the New York City Subway

https://www.gq.com/story/nyc-subway-turnstile-jumping

Old 01-17-2020, 01:41 PM

286 posts, read 210,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't know what there is to "study". Unless the same police officer is allowing white people to jump turnstiles or fare beat, and then in the same vein, arresting blacks and hispanics for the same violation....there really is no argument.

Simply arresting more minorities for violations of this nature does not prove that there is a bias.
Wroooong.

Google 'disparate impact'.

Disparate impact in United States labor law refers to practices in employment, housing, and other areas that adversely affect one group of people of a protected characteristic more than another, even though rules applied by employers or landlords are formally neutral.

So even if police arrest every jumper on every station and it turns out one of the group is represented dis-proportionally - that means racism. That is whole idea behind progressives trying to decriminalize the crime: they think they are fighting racism.

Last edited by Banbuk77; 01-17-2020 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-18-2020, 05:46 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
If AG wants to investigate the amount of arrests for black and brown people for farebeating the MTA. Why don't the AG, team up with BLM and the MTA work on an equity metro card for black and brown folks. If you are black you pay reduced fares. Thus farebeating rates will plummet or go down, thus leading to less arrest. Sounds like an good idea. If I was doing Social Activism work, I would be very passionate about such initiative.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
If AG wants to investigate the amount of arrests for black and brown people for farebeating the MTA. Why don't the AG, team up with BLM and the MTA work on an equity metro card for black and brown folks. If you are black you pay reduced fares. Thus farebeating rates will plummet or go down, thus leading to less arrest. Sounds like an good idea. If I was doing Social Activism work, I would be very passionate about such initiative.
It sounds like a terrible idea. Simply address the economic issues causing disparate poverty among Black and Brown people and let them pay for metrocards like everyone else.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Exactly -- no one needs it, because no one should care what color the person is who is getting caught for farebeating. Just let the police do their jobs - if they see someone evading the fare, then let them give out a summons or whatever the current punishment is (I wouldn't know - I always pay mine.) The police shouldn't have to think about what race or color someone is before doling out the summons.

Obviously Letitia James cares about the demographics because she's crying about how her people are getting caught stealing fares too often.
You´re right. If someone is busted jumping the turnstile they have to pay the ticket.

You cannot go to the grocery store and expect to take food because you belong to an oppressed group. You cannot go to Best Buy because you´re an oppressed minority.

There´s no way if you cannot pay. It´s not personal at that point and people shouldn't take it as such.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:09 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Obey the law by paying your fare and you won’t get stopped by police. Problem solved!

Old 01-24-2020, 06:13 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And this data is important to who? Who needs it?

if we all thought like you --- ho-hum, who cares about lawlessness --- even a misdemeanor crime
such as ‘jumping subway turnstiles’ --- civilized society is/will be doomed.

- I guess individuals see ‘this data’ and the collection of it
thru different eyes….

- collected to see repetitious jumping faces – who are they not to pay? LoL.

- if they’re teens, most are up and coming criminals heading towards a life of
crime because [no father figure] ….

...it's a shame - can't use him as a positive example anymore .......

so having their ‘life of crime’ documented at such an early age…

maybe it’s needed to show their future psychiatrist(s) & maybe this "data"
is needed to be HELD AGAINST THEM FOR future court appearances
(after they come back from a METS game) or needed for crime documentaries….

If they’re adults…why can't they pay ? get a job, buy a
metro card and dis that gangsta life, yo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: