Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 04:43 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

New York Attorney General Letitia James is launching an investigation into whether NYPD officers have illegally targeted people of color on the city's subways in their enforcement of fare evasion laws and regulations.

Quote:
Six current and former NYPD officers have alleged in sworn statements that during the period between 2011 and 2015, a commander had urged them to go after black and Latino people for such offenses as jumping a turnstile, The New York Times reported in December.
The statement from the attorney general's office said that newly published data indicated that the alleged policy of targeting black and Latino riders could still be continuing today.
Between October 2017 and June 2019, black and Hispanic New Yorkers received nearly 70 percent of all civil summonses for fare evasion, despite making up just more than half of the city's population, the statement said. During that same period, the statement said they also accounted for nearly 90 percent of fare evasion arrests.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/ny...rnd/index.html

Old 01-14-2020, 05:10 PM

286 posts, read 210,588 times
Between October 2017 and June 2019, black and Hispanic New Yorkers received nearly 70 percent of all civil summonses for fare evasion, despite making up just more than half of the city's population, the statement said. During that same period, the statement said they also accounted for nearly 90 percent of fare evasion arrests.

Correlates with the crime statistics per capita. Oh, I forgot - that statistics is also because racist police and courts target POC.
And it also correlates with schools disciplining disproportionate percentage of black and Hispanic students. Does it mean the teachers are racist as well?

Old 01-14-2020, 05:15 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
It's getting lame

Just saying the word "race" provokes anything nowadays.

Stories like this are just simply not important to me anymore. Now for the people who actually had any type of interest in this story, they should ask themselves why.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-14-2020, 06:14 PM

874 posts, read 454,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
New York Attorney General Letitia James is launching an investigation into whether NYPD officers have illegally targeted people of color on the city's subways in their enforcement of fare evasion, laws and regulations.
A.G. Leticia James....

she has to, because she's black...and those 90%-ters, are brown/black people.

maybe Al or charles gave her a ringy-dingy about it too....
i wouldn't be surprised in the least if they gave her the goose !

she has to go to bat (save face ) for "her people." it's mostly black/brown folk, jumping turnstiles,
robbing people at turnstiles, pummeling people on stairwells & robbing them, ETC crimes.
I mean, she must be a bit embarrassed about it [it is what it is-who it is]
and has to take a stand on WHY the police may focus in more on certain people (of color),
it's that simple (and sad).

Old 01-14-2020, 06:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
It's pretty simple and straightforward -- if you don't jump turnstiles, you don't get caught and given a summons for turnstile jumping. I wonder if anyone could explain this to Ms. James.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:21 PM

I just want to see us all progress and thrive as individuals. Be happy you have family and friends.

These threads are just as worrisome as what's going on outside, who even knows whats real or fake anymore, sometimes even the camera's staged

Here's hoping for better health for everyone

And more cool unique threads about NYC knowledge.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I just want to see us all progress and thrive as individuals. Be happy you have family and friends.

These threads are just as worrisome as what's going on outside, who even knows whats real or fake anymore, sometimes even the camera's staged

Here's hoping for better health for everyone

And more cool unique threads about NYC knowledge.
Well said. I’m slowly losing interest because of the threads like this. It’s why I don’t use Facebook. I don’t care to be exposed to “opinions” of people who usually have a poisonous agenda, or post something for the shock value.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Well said. I’m slowly losing interest because of the threads like this. It’s why I don’t use Facebook. I don’t care to be exposed to “opinions” of people who usually have a poisonous agenda, or post something for the shock value.
I'm being serious, maybe deBlasio had ThriveNYC right all along

If it aint race, its directions, whos left/right

People literally post about nothing on here except NYC race topics and NYC political topics

How mentally healthy is that

If anybody is seriously worried about today's climate here, post it here now and what makes you worried as a person, and how it affects you personally, and lets start working on that

When you're feeling sad or upset its the same thing as if your feet or back hurt

Let's get better

Old 01-15-2020, 06:12 AM

874 posts, read 454,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
"
"People literally post about nothing on here except NYC race topics and NYC political topics....."

"How mentally healthy is that...??"

Quote:
"If anybody is seriously worried about today's climate here, post it here now and what makes you worried as a person....
-----how it affects you personally, and lets start working on that."

+ 13 year olds out after dark waiting in parks to rob and kill people....

why do i have to pretend "it" doesn't bother me? why is it "taboo" [] to bring the subject up [about crime/who/what/when]? ok, i AM talking about it here, this is how i feel. it's bothersome. it is what it is. we all know (when you grow up in newyawk, there are good people of all walks of life). I'm not that naïve...it's not in my soul/make-up to 'blanket' all groups/cultures of people.

if we look away [like you ] and feel as if "it's insensitive" to talk about race and the problems plaguing certain cultures/groups of people.....and how, if you bring things up "you're a racist" - it's only going to get worse & worse ---- and good people [who talk about "it"] are looked upon as "horrible people."

Old 01-16-2020, 02:55 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Opinion: Keep lowering the bar and pretty soon it will end up being buried in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: