Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:29 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I don't consider someone who is from NY that relocates to NYC a transplant. Long Island is part of New York and so is NYC. To me a transplant is someone out of state that moves here. I've also met a whole bunch of friendly transplants but I've met just about as much entitled, rude and condescending transplants as well. Those transplants are the ones that are applying for the same jobs NYer's are and are not only taking up housing but are a direct cause of the skyrocketing rent.
Opinion:
I met as many out of Staters coming here for the free cheese as well.
Based on this logic it is fair to say out of Staters are pushing New Yorkers of every income level out
because they just happen to either have more money than New Yorkers with money or less money than New Yorkers with nothing.
Go Figure..................

Quote of the Day: " I'm so confused." ..........Moonstruck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 04:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Yet they welcome all illegal aliens and provide them with protection from federal law.
Illegal aliens don't set up tweeting groups and mobilize to push their agenda on the rest of their city. They quietly keep a low profile so that Trump will not find them. And despite what some think, they have some of the highest levels of work ethic of anyone because that is why they came, that is what their relatives back home need them to do and they cannot avail themselves of the social safety net.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Yeah, there’s a big push toward ‘restorative justice’ and AAs and their allies on the left feel emboldened. Somehow every issue is analyzed through a racial equity lense or something.
But I don’t know how they can keep the transplants out ( their pipe dream) short of a bust economy, I guess their move would be to end tax breaks for new housing ( condos etc) but this would affect everyone looking to buy.
You know what's funny. This is blacks and browns vs. the white left. Its those who wanted to push Caban as Queens DA who Eric and others object to, Caban wanted to disqualify ballots from SE Queens in the recount and push those from NW Queens. Its simple. Middle class blacks live in SE Queens and the transplants live in the NW. Katz won with support of blacks and white/Asian centrists.

I cannot understand why the loony right aren't amused by this state of affairs. When the transplant crowd are exposed by the black and browns as not being people who want to fit in, but instead behaving like Christopher Columbus then the AOC crowd lose their clout. Their "moral superiority" is because these transplants claim to speak for the black and brown, and yet now two prominent black and brown leaders attack them. Despite the press Espaillat in fact being even more explicit lamenting the loss of bodegas and Dominican restaurants to hipster bars.

The back lash against the AOC crowd will come from the black and brown crowd because they often live in neighborhoods where they need cars so don't find the attempt to turn NYC into an all bicycle city, amusing, The Amazon stunt pulled by the transplants, using their stooges, left many blacks angry.

So Trump and Giuliani lovers rub your hands in glee as the black and brown and the hipster transplants battle it out. This is the only way that one of your guys will ever win political office.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:23 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,337 times
A politician rolling out the welcome mat and providing all sorts of benefits for actual illegals through it's sanctuary city policy telling actual citizens that they are not welcome in a world class American city with job opportunities. This is rich.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I don't consider someone who is from NY that relocates to NYC a transplant. Long Island is part of New York and so is NYC. To me a transplant is someone out of state that moves here. I've also met a whole bunch of friendly transplants but I've met just about as much entitled, rude and condescending transplants as well. Those transplants are the ones that are applying for the same jobs NYer's are and are not only taking up housing but are a direct cause of the skyrocketing rent.
So Jersey City residents a transplant ?

Old 01-25-2020, 09:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
Many many black people are from Ohio. Cleveland is over half black, and Cincinnati is close to half. Do you want to send them back too?

Not sure about Iowa.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Many many black people are from Ohio. Cleveland is over half black, and Cincinnati is close to half. Do you want to send them back too?

Not sure about Iowa.
A lot of people are clueless about the rest of the country. They live in an NYC bubble and think that the rest of the country is all white suburbia

Old 01-26-2020, 07:01 AM

596 posts, read 252,784 times
statistically, most transplants that move into gentrifying communities are white.

hes basically saying NYC is for colored people or it can be interpreted as such since again large % of transplants are white.
OK I'll make it easier to follow:

Premise 1: Transplants go back home
Premise 2: All the transplants renting out $2.5K 1BR in the luxury APT is white
Conclusion: White ppl go home

Old 01-26-2020, 07:03 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IForgotMyOldAccount View Post
statistically, most transplants that move into gentrifying communities are white.

hes basically saying NYC is for colored people or it can be interpreted as such since again large % of transplants are white.
OK I'll make it easier to follow:

Premise 1: Transplants go back home
Premise 2: All the transplants renting out $2.5K 1BR in the luxury APT is white
Conclusion: White ppl go home
Colored people? LoL

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
1. Thomas A. Edison was born in Ohio, grew up in Michigan. What authentic NYC value have all the ghetto people together (including all of their generations in the past 300 years) contributed to NYC that is greater than what this one single "transplant from OH" contributed to the city?

2. NYC was built up by people who came there from all over the US, and from all over the world. It is absurd to argue that the city somehow belongs to a limited number of ethnic/racial groups, who seem to qualify for a "true New Yorker" status only because of their generational poverty. How is generational poverty a unique qualification for laying claim on any geographic area, let alone on a city whose main claim of fame is that it historically accepted people from everywhere, as long as they had some economic contribution to make?

3. Up until a few short decades ago, people came to NYC either (a) for work and commerce, or (b) because they wanted to live there, and could afford it. Market forces (on which the city was built more than any other city in the world) support these two reasons for living in NYC, and pretty much no other reason. In the last few decades, the massive welfare population was grafted on the city, artificially and outside the market mechanisms on which the city was founded and thrived for several hundred years. If anything, they are the ones who are not natural to NYC - they are only able to live in NYC because someone else pays for that. If welfare were discontinued in NYC (including welfare housing), market forces of demand and supply would soon take care of having enough affordable housing for people who work (including in low-paid jobs). NYCHA and Section 8 programs drive up the cost of low-end housing far more than any gentrification.

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-26-2020 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City