Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,740,531 times

Advertisements

this is pure gold

New York Times restaurant critic Pete Wells admits that the most feedback he gets is from readers complaining about how loud restaurants are. So he decides to address the issue today, but instead of placating his angry readers he twists the knife deeper writing that the sound level is part of the ambiance and doesn't bother him at all, implying that those who complain are old get off my lawn ninnies. HAHA

The comments section then explodes like somebody killed their puppy
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/d...mentsContainer

I have to generally agree with Wells, people who complain about noise are just old. I mean some restaurants just blast the music way too loud but in general it's just part of the scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,367,418 times
I'm not old but I'm sensitive to noise. Sometimes places are way too loud and there are ways they could dampen the sound if they wanted to do so. Also my husband isn't old (yet) but since I've known him (for many years) he cannot hear very well with too much background sound.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:45 AM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times
Opinion:
I will avoid any place where I can't hear myself speak.
I am a regular at quiet establishments filled with the money
of many other retirees. Guess what? They are still in operation while I watch
all these other little noisy start ups close one by one because the lack of business......
Gee.......never thought that old money was worth a dime....................go figure.........

Old 01-22-2020, 08:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
Most NYC trendy food places seem to have high amounts of noise because I think it is generational issue. Younger patrons these days are much louder at restaurants than the old days. If you raise your voice back then, 1/2 the patrons would stare at you.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:10 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,621,089 times
I like my places quieter. I'm in the mood that if I can't talk to the person I'm there with, I go somewhere else.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:25 AM

4,543 posts, read 3,766,012 times
Many times it’s the trendy designs of the dining area that add to the noise problem: high ceilings with reflective, hard surfaces that look modern but also act as amplifiers. Soft surfaces and carpets may deaden the noise, but appear unhygienic and dated. We live in a warm area and prefer restaurants with outside dining. We ask to be seated outside where ambient noise isn’t an issue and we don’t feel entombed either.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-22-2020 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-22-2020, 11:24 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,595,747 times
Also, as people age, their hearing changes. One thing that happens is that it's harder, for instance, to follow a conversation that takes place in a noisy environment, something that a younger person may not have a problem with. So I always feel that when loud music is played, and the design of the restaurant consists of high ceilings and hard, modern surfaces, as jean says, above, the proprietor is actively trying to discourage an older crowd.

I always figure, Hey, if they don't want my money, I'll spend it elsewhere!

Another change is that older people tend to lose the ability to hear high-pitched sounds. Malls have learned to use this to their advantage when discouraging teens from hanging out. The mall will play opera or transmit high-pitched sounds, which younger people will find objectionable and older people won't hear at all! I was at Ikea Brooklyn not long ago, and my daughter started grimacing in pain because of something she was hearing! I couldn't hear a thing. I don't know if Ikea was doing it on purpose or not.

That Times critic has some nerve!

Old 01-22-2020, 12:00 PM

55 posts, read 41,918 times
Not old (yet) but not young anymore either. I prefer quiet to noise, it's why I live where I do, and prefer to eat in similar acoustic settings too. The noise thing is actually often quiet an intentional design choice by the proprietors - it gets you to shove your food down and LEAVE, so the table can turnover optimally.

Go to some of the higher-end places in the City (anything from Forgione to 11 Madison) - you'll see (er, hear) how quiet it is. That's part of what people are paying for when they go there.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:56 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,066,154 times
Boomers and their parents generations need to realize not everything is about them anymore. Old school white tablecloth places with near crypt silence are dying out with them.

Younger generations have other ideas about what they want when dining out, and since they are making up more and more of demographic places that want business are catering to that crowd.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:06 PM

19,561 posts, read 9,568,160 times
I, a Boomer, once asked someone who was at least 10 years younger than I if she had been to a BWW. She replied in the negative and added that it was too noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: