Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Don't condone it.................Connecting neighborhoods of higher incomes to those of significantly lower is a recipe for disaster.
The MTA train line is notorious for spreading the cancer of criminality. If not for demand in real estate ( thousands pouring in )
watch the neighborhoods values plummet with the introduction of such lines.
The neighborhoods it connects are not high income. It connects Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 01:28 AM

37,147 posts, read 39,394,719 times
It’s long overdue, though I’m curious about fares, payment media and frequency.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:02 PM

432 posts, read 551,784 times
Is there any evidence that anyone would ride it enough to justify the cost?

Old 02-03-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
Is there any evidence that anyone would ride it enough to justify the cost?
There have been previous studies on ridership projections that were promising. Part of why this is appealing is because the tracks and right of ways are already there and that’s usually the most expensive part. Another thing is the Bronx stations would already be built due to Penn Station Access plans for New Haven Line trains.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:21 PM

It’s curious that the East New York stop in that map doesn’t indicate an A/C and J/M connection as well as LIRR. I feel like that has to be a mistake on the mapmakers part, because that would be a very crucial transfer stop.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:23 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
MTA Begins Study of Passenger Service along Bay Ridge Freight Line

It's a good idea. The Q44 which is somewhat frequent is always packed with people going to and fro between Queens and the Bronx. I have known people who live in Queens and work in Brooklyn. Something like this would be fantastic.

I do not however, have hopes to see this built while I am still living in NYC. If it happened quickly, it would be a great bonus to me and my resale value. It would make it so much easier for me to visit friends and family. But meh, its a long road between a feasible study and fruition.
FYI the link to the Bronx is an afterthought in this plan. This plan uses the ROW to get from Queens to Brooklyn and "possibly" to the Bronx one day decades in the future

Old 02-05-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
FYI the link to the Bronx is an afterthought in this plan. This plan uses the ROW to get from Queens to Brooklyn and "possibly" to the Bronx one day decades in the future
If Penn Station Access plan does happen, which seems decently likely, and the Queens/Brooklyn part of the Triboro RX happens, then a Bronx extension would be very likely as the stations would already be built out. Hell’s Gate Bridge was built for and at one point had four tracks. It operates with three now, but I’m guessing in putting in the fourth track might be part of Penn Station Access though I’m not sure that’s even necessary since I don’t know if combined Amtrak and New Haven Line peak frequencies would actually top 26 trains per minute—I mean, it’s not like we’re Japan or something.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-05-2020 at 06:11 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 04:01 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If Penn Station Access plan does happen, which seems decently likely, and the Queens/Brooklyn part of the Triboro RX happens, then a Bronx extension would be very likely as the stations would already be built out. Hell’s Gate Bridge was built for and at one point had four tracks. It operates with three now, but I’m guessing in putting in the fourth track might be part of Penn Station Access though I’m not sure that’s even necessary since I don’t know if combined Amtrak and New Haven Line peak frequencies would actually top 26 trains per minute—I mean, it’s not like we’re Japan or something.
But then you have to negotiate right of way with Amtrak. That's already been a boondoggle of extortion.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
But then you have to negotiate right of way with Amtrak. That's already been a boondoggle of extortion.
Right, which is what Metro North will need to do for Penn Station Access anyhow. I reckon it'll shake out fine. That bridge isn't operating at anywhere near its capacity, and Amtrak should be given a little something to maintain it. After all, the costs of creating a new right-of-way for MTA would be so much more expensive, so it's likely still a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: