Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM

96 posts, read 407,514 times

Advertisements

Is 2500$ a realistic price for a 2 bdrm in park slope? I feel I can't get a straight answer on craigslist. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,585 times
Hmmm,,, I dont know..
But 2500 for park slope is high I think.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Hmmm,,, I dont know..
But 2500 for park slope is high I think.
For a 2 bedroom?? You will be lucky to find a ONE BEDROOM for that price. Don't forget about the standard 15% brokers fee that you must pay when you sign the lease along with all other fees and 3-6 months prepaid rent if you don't have perfect credit (780 FICO score or higher).

Anyone who has to ask about rents for these uber hipster yuppie neighborhoods cannot afford to live there and probably wouldn't feel comfortable among all the designer strollers & luxury SUV's and prissy boutiques.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
For a 2 bedroom?? You will be lucky to find a ONE BEDROOM for that price. Don't forget about the standard 15% brokers fee that you must pay when you sign the lease along with all other fees and 3-6 months prepaid rent if you don't have perfect credit (780 FICO score or higher).

Anyone who has to ask about rents for these uber hipster yuppie neighborhoods cannot afford to live there and probably wouldn't feel comfortable among all the designer strollers & luxury SUV's and prissy boutiques.
well asking about it doesn't necessarily mean me or the person I was inquiring for can't afford it. Of course the fee is factored in after, and the FICO score is taken into consideration depending on where you want to live.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Park Slope is made out to be a much more exclusive, expensive, and yuppie neighborhood than it really is. In terms of wealth and cost, it is much, much cheaper than Brooklyn Heights or wealthy neighborhoods in Manhattan. Yes, you CAN find a 2 bedroom for $2500 if it is in South Slope or in the western reaches of the neighborhood closer to Fourth Avenue. You will certainly pay more to be located in prettier sections of the neighborhood like North Slope and near the park. There are one bedrooms for $2500, but they tend to either be right near the park or have very nice upgrades. People know that if they're going to pay that much for a 1 bedroom apartment outside of nice areas of Manhattan it better have some special features...

Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Park Slope is made out to be a much more exclusive, expensive, and yuppie neighborhood than it really is. In terms of wealth and cost, it is much, much cheaper than Brooklyn Heights or wealthy neighborhoods in Manhattan. Yes, you CAN find a 2 bedroom for $2500 if it is in South Slope or in the western reaches of the neighborhood closer to Fourth Avenue. You will certainly pay more to be located in prettier sections of the neighborhood like North Slope and near the park. There are one bedrooms for $2500, but they tend to either be right near the park or have very nice upgrades. People know that if they're going to pay that much for a 1 bedroom apartment outside of nice areas of Manhattan it better have some special features...
A one bedroom in Manhattan is well over $3,000 except maybe in some parts of Harlem or Washington Heights.

Outside of Manhattan, $2,000 is becoming the new starting price point for one bedroom apartments except in parts of Queens near the Nassau line near the Belt Parkway or maybe around Canarsie or the Flatlands area.

A one bedroom for $2,500 anywhere that is considered park slope will probably get 50 applications in a day.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 PM

I can see a one bedroom in Brooklyn Heights being 2500, my family rents a one bedroom in a prewar brownstone for 1750... I'd like to live there if we didn't have the same tenants for 10 years.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
First of all, a one bedroom in a luxury, doorman building south of 96th street rents for an average of $3500. A one bedroom in a non-doorman building rents for an average of $2500. There are PLENTY, of decent sized one bedrooms below these median prices. It is completely possible to get a nice 1 bedroom walk-up in Manhattan for $2000 if you are willing to look. People KNOW that $2500 better rent one hell of a one bedroom apartment all the way down in Park Slope. Realistically, $2500 is in no way a deal for a one bedroom in Park Slope unless youre right on the park or you have killer amenities and/or views. It's just not worth the 45 minute subway ride to Midtown (not as close as people like to say Park Slope is) to rent an apartment that you can rent for a few extra bucks per month in Manhattan. A $2500 listing in Brooklyn that gets 50 applicants per day must be creme de la creme.

And I have to address this: $2000 starting price for a one bedroom outside of Manhattan? This is only true in a few neighborhoods in Brooklyn; in Queens it applies to almost nowhere except the new towers in LIC and maybe to one or two buildings in Forest Hills. For the Bronx and Staten Island this $2000 figure applies to nowhere. The overwhelming majority of one bedrooms in the outer boroughs rent for FAR LESS than $2000/month.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
I have noticed on this thread and one other that people are reacting very strongly to the comments made by NickL28. I would encourage you to check his posting history here to see that every answer he gives has the same basic content - and is totally competely off the mark regarding prices for rent etc.

So just ignore and move on.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:15 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
A one bedroom in Manhattan is well over $3,000 except maybe in some parts of Harlem or Washington Heights.

Outside of Manhattan, $2,000 is becoming the new starting price point for one bedroom apartments except in parts of Queens near the Nassau line near the Belt Parkway or maybe around Canarsie or the Flatlands area.

A one bedroom for $2,500 anywhere that is considered park slope will probably get 50 applications in a day.
Come on... 1 bed room in Chelsea is 2,500 and even 2,300.
In park slope in only 5 min. I found a 3 bedrooms for 2,950.
address 430 7th ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City