Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

Willow I was born and raised in the "hood" and I like living there. And for the record, I have met quite a few naive and cowardly hoodrats in my day, in fact much of them are naive and cowardly, which is why the bulk of them put on the "I am hard, I wear pants down to my knees and talk like I am stupid" persona because they are afraid not too and/or believe that is what a real man/woman does...that's as cowardly and naive as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,492 times
People with comfortable lives often feel complacent and bored out of their mind, When they get to a rough and tumble neighbourhood it gets the blood pumping

Old 06-02-2010, 04:02 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Actually, what makes rents go up is when their market value goes up -- meaning, when people are willing to pay more for them.

You do realize, right, that some of these "hipsters" moved to Bushwick because they could not afford other neighborhoods like the Lower East Side and Williamsburg, right?

So if your theory is true about residents being pissed off because they are being pushed out of Bushwick because the rents have increased, then pretty much everyone (except the super rich) will be walking around pissed off because they can't afford the neighborhoods where they feel they should have a right to live.

People move where they can afford, and where they feel they want to live.
I live in Queens and know MANY people who have moved from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Was it a love of Queens that brought them to Queens? Highly unlikely. More likely is that Queens is cheaper.

You might try doing a little research on changing neighborhoods and market rents and that sort of thing before you get all up in arms about what is going on in Bushwick. Neighborhoods change. Sometimes this means rents go up and people of lesser means have to find a neighborhood that is cheaper. Welcome to life.
Yeah, they can't afford Manhattan prices. But the fact remains that they make more money than the natives in the area. I know people here respect research, and so do I. But you don't have to spend hours looking on the computer for something you can go out and see for yourself. And for the record, many people get pissed off when they think about how rent has sky rocketed. Just last week my friend had to leave his building due to high rates. He was one of many who were leaving. And guess who was coming in and replacing them. Yeah, I don't think he was all smiley about that.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM

32 posts, read 60,764 times
Let me rephrase then: I don't know anyone PERSONALLY born and raised in the hood who enjoys the struggle and wouldn't, given a choice, either be a part of a serious effort to change their neighborhood and environment or leave. And PERSONALLY I don't know anyone who hasn't been made stronger by what they've experienced.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
While I agree with your first statement, it is clear to me the sheer amount of drug use and addictions in general, reliance on handouts, and dysfunctional behavior means these people are WEAKER, not stronger, for living in the ghettos. Those that make it out can look back and understand how those experiences, now that they are away from them, have made them stronger/better in some tangible way. Those that are left behind play the role of "I am hard I am from XYZ neighborhood" but their behaviors/dysfunctions prove otherwise.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Yeah, they can't afford Manhattan prices. But the fact remains that they make more money than the natives in the area. I know people here respect research, and so do I. But you don't have to spend hours looking on the computer for something you can go out and see for yourself. And for the record, many people get pissed off when they think about how rent has sky rocketed. Just last week my friend had to leave his building due to high rates. He was one of many who were leaving. And guess who was coming in and replacing them. Yeah, I don't think he was all smiley about that.
One of the reasons the newcomers can afford the trendy neighborhoods is because they are willing to "quadruple up" to pay the rent and many of them are co-habitating (boyfriend/girlfriend live-in situations). Young native NYers tend to remain with their parents until the have enough money to move out on their own alone, when they marry, or leave the city entirely. You many not see as much co-habitating with young native NYers because of non-accepting parents/cultures that require people to be married before they live together. Also, in some cultures, young women are forbidden from moving out unless they are married. For everyone else, though, if any of you want to live like the hipsters, do like they do ... get a bunch of roommates and split the rent.

Last edited by queensgrl; 06-04-2010 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Where should the newcomers live? What if one is a Manhattan native who's priced out of their native home? They have to go somewhere.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
The point is why limit yourself to a neighborhood thats on the rise in rents and still is considered one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn and in the city... you see how that wouldn't make sense. Somewhere along the line it isn't just about moving somewhere else and the locals aren't happy about being priced out or in some cases bought out to leave for others to come in.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:37 PM

43 posts, read 82,960 times
Choosing a neigborhood because it's "cool" sounds rediculous to me. What is this, high school still? You're supposed to choose a neighborhood for more important reasons that satisfied your individual needs and desired lifestyle. I don't care what other people think of my neighborhood as long as I'm happy there (and I am). It's not the "coolest", it's not the "hippest", it's not the trendiest, it's not even the most gentrified but I don't care about all that, it's home and where I intend to live for the rest of my life.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Exactly... supanyc hit the nail on the horn. When Henna was fighting with me about what I was saying that was the whole point I was trying to bring out. Here in Bushwick you've had people living here for years because they continue struggling economically and many of them not of choice since the living conditions are poor, and yet you have a bunch of people flocking to this neighborhood for some unexplained reason when there are tons of (cheaper now) places that are much safer and not as dirty, to find. But unfortunately this movement has made investers look at this neighborhood as the new hot spot and so they buy up these buildings and houses and the only people they sell or rent to is... guess who? Thats the only reason why its starting to get the locals. And anyone who fights with me on this simple point cannot say its because they're not a hipster or yuppy because what I am saying shouldn't be considered offensive at all, but rather the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City