Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 05:22 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
This is one of the most annoying things when I visit China.

Their sidewalks are super wide and it's normal for there to be cars pulling up on them. It's meant to be that way, they have parking spots up there between the road and the storefronts on the sidewalk. Especially for all the bikes and scooters.

You'd think you are walking along safe and all of a sudden you feel a bumper on the back of your knee nudging you forward. f&*%! or someone honking at you.

So it's no wonder they think it's ok to do here. Not cool.
if you're asian/chinese - i apologize about my 'chinamen' reference. i definitely wasn't
brought up around that. i guess i do look upon these chinese restaurant owners
as 'not my fellow americans -- at all. and if i was walking by and saw it was joe
deangelo's restaurant - i'd still be disgusted and 'say something.' not to mention the
homeless chinese woman who lives a few feet away from said pigeon-poop restaurant
for years now....and not to mention the ...russian/polish homeless woman who lives
2 blocks from her. she lives on this block for like... 6-7 years now. throwing her trash
all over, has piles of junk. she's ...very mentally disturbed (as is the chinese woman).
it's SAD yet....the storeowner lets her sleep in front of their store. used to be all
american italian/italians off the boat as far as the eye could see....YOU NEVER SAW
THESE THINGS before in 'this neighborhood.' i know first hand what diversity brings to
a neighborhood. MORE 'never saw before stuff' including black homeless men in the
neighborhood...screaming/talking loudly to themselves...begging for $$. a quality of
life issue for sure....

this is just 2-3 examples out of a lot more: "OMG/Brrrrr/where do i live/what's happened
to this neighborhood " things...." completely disturbing to put it MILDLY. it's over. (very sad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 05:34 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
You saw a homeless Asian? I never seen one.
Manhattan library had a smelly black homeless guy who screamed at everyone. Cops weren’t called.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Manhattan library had a smelly black homeless guy who screamed at everyone. Cops weren’t called.
oh yes. She lives in this spot for like ...years now. keeps her
giant supermarket shopping carts filled to brim with unsightly,
gross objects. disease on wheels.

these 2 homeless women KNOW. stay put in "this particular"
neighborhood/block.

they are both not well...........no one ["asian"] will take the asian
lady into their home. and the russian woman - brrrr.
i'm not saying that in a mocking way - it's the reality of it.
they're both mentally disturbed.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:39 PM

6,646 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I seen plenty of homeless in Manhattan, white homeless, and no whites will take him into their home either. And no blacks are taking the black homeless into their home either.

This one white last has been camped out around 39th st forever. Moving around under the scaffolding. Cops don't care. Not unless they are attacking people.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I seen plenty of homeless in Manhattan, white homeless, and no whites will take him into their home either. And no blacks are taking the black homeless into their home either. This one white last has been camped out around 39th st forever. Moving around under the scaffolding. Cops don't care. Not unless they are attacking people.
over the last few months, there have been young couples using the bank lobbies as their bedrooms.
you walk by and see them sprawled out. one couple was: a light-skinned hispanic guy and his
girlfriend, a young chinese girl.

then a young white couple, different day, same lobby....[you can tell they were addicts].....

another: you NEVER SAW THIS BEFORE ....brrrr/OMG/what's happened to this neighborhood?

Old 02-06-2020, 07:59 PM

565 posts, read 361,376 times
Quote:
How are they automatically assigned a better quality of life?!
And who is Selling them houses?

There are Zero cases in Flushings Queens as of yet. If it did happen I'd expect it to blow up there, but it hasn't yet, which is a good sign, imho.
There are several suspected patients in both Flushing and Booth Memorial hospitals. Stop your fake news.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:12 PM

565 posts, read 361,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I'm a lifelong NYer with lots of family in Queens, so yes. I'm just wondering if the situation you describe is more of a version of "white flight" as opposed to Americans being "pushed" out.
It's not white flight. NE Queens was and is still a good place to live. However an entire generation of mostly white and Asian American residents that were born n raised in the area have been unable to buy due to soaring prices. Most have had to go way out to the Island or way upstate or to CT in order to buy an affordable house and have kids. It's strictly been about price.

Now why did the prices soar in NE Queens? There aren't any gentrifiers here, so that's not the answer. The answer is FOREIGN CHINESE DEVELOPERS WHO AREN'T FROM THIS COUNTRY AND LIVE IN CHINA.

It started slowly. One block at a time. The old school baby boomer would retire in the late 90s then move to Florida. They would sell to the highest bidder, as we all would. That was the Chinese developer. Not a normal immigrant family from China looking to seek the American dream. Said developer would demolish the single family house and, thanks to corrupt city politicians, turn said house into a 12 room Mcmansion. Then rent said Mcmansion to 12 mostly low income, usually illegal Chinese immigrants. Now multiply this process by 5,000 and you see how what was just 25 years ago a mostly ethnic white/American born Asian community now ALMOST 100% LOWER INCOME CHINESE BORN COMMUNITY LIVING IN MCMANSIONS.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
^ Another example of the type of ignorance that is so pervasive in this city. You are just scapegoating developers (in this case Chinese ones) for a problem that is caused 1. by the city of New York and 2. by the very people similar to yourself.

NE Queens became popular for Asians starting in the 80’s as an alternative to Lower Manhattan because well the natural tendency for immigrants to this city is to go from Manhattan and then outwards. The Chinese was no different than all other groups before them.

As more moved to NE Queens, the housing supply there is simply is not adequate both in terms of volume and type. The Chinese generally prefer apartments/condos because those are the types they have in their native countries and there simply wasn’t enough of them there at the time to meet surging demand.

To meet increased demand, developers started to build apartments and condos. As that began to occur, NIMBYism from the resentful and fearful whites got the city to DOWNZONE most of the area. Yes, that was how retarded the city was. Instead of allowing the natural growth, it went on to actually artificially suppress it.

If one knows anything about supply and demand, then you will know that if there is a restriction in the supply of something that is in short supply, the prices will go up.

This has happened throughout the city too so you know it has nothing to do with the Chinese or Chinese developers.

So instead of understanding the real cause of the problem of unaffordable housing in this city, ignorant folks like you blame it on developers, investors, Chinese, Russian oligarchs, 1 percenters, gentrification, transplants, etc. Blacks blame whites, whites blame Asians, natives blames transplants, everyone blames the rich. It’s all so myopic and ignorant.

Blame the city, who listened to whiners about “overdevelopment” and went on to downzone any hotspots throughout the city, just the opposite of what the city should have done.

Last edited by antinimby; 02-06-2020 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
I know we are going somewhat offtopic but I just had to set the record straight from all the ignorance that I am reading here.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:29 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I know we are going somewhat offtopic but I just had to set the record straight from all the ignorance that I am reading here.
Dang it. I can't rep you anymore. Well, I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City