Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 02:46 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,298,653 times

Advertisements

...to deal with the affordable housing crisis.

So much for the renters who were using 'but it is an illegal basement' as a reason to not pay rent.

Up next, u can pitch a tent in your backyard and rent it in warmer weather lol.

The city does this ever so often in order to up their tax revenue. They knew well about basements and new that without them the city would have been in even worse shape with the housing crisis. May as well legalize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 05:36 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
...to deal with the affordable housing crisis.

So much for the renters who were using 'but it is an illegal basement' as a reason to not pay rent.

Up next, u can pitch a tent in your backyard and rent it in warmer weather lol.

The city does this ever so often in order to up their tax revenue. They knew well about basements and new that without them the city would have been in even worse shape with the housing crisis. May as well legalize them.
This is probably a good thing all around if the city simultaneously enforces all the building codes related to these illegal units and lives are saved in doing so. Unfortunately there are probably lots of dopes who have illegal basement apartments and won't go for legalization because they won't want to pay to bring things up to code and they won't want to pay the higher taxes.
Code enforcement will be key.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:07 AM

142 posts, read 224,169 times
This is probably a good thing. I was looking for a room rental to try to save money and some of the conditions people were living in were appalling.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:48 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is probably a good thing all around if the city simultaneously enforces all the building codes related to these illegal units and lives are saved in doing so. Unfortunately there are probably lots of dopes who have illegal basement apartments and won't go for legalization because they won't want to pay to bring things up to code and they won't want to pay the higher taxes.
Code enforcement will be key.
+1 on this

Old 02-07-2020, 10:22 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,211,739 times
Code enforcement?? Why would they do that? They don't do it now.

Just another way for the Mayor to destroy neighborhoods that didn't vote for him.

More density, over crowding the schools, the sewer system, and the roads.

How about this? We are full, go live somewhere else.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:27 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
I couldn't live in a basement, no matter how cheap. If it floods, it's going to eff up my life and renters/homeowners insurance often doesn't cover that. or if it does now it didn't used to.

I have no opinion on garages, I only know people who live in them on the West Coast (lol).

Old 02-07-2020, 10:32 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
could never live in a basement. what if NYC had a strong earthquake. you're out of luck

Old 02-07-2020, 10:42 AM

172 posts, read 447,933 times
Good Luck in a FIRE

Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I couldn't live in a basement, no matter how cheap. If it floods, it's going to eff up my life and renters/homeowners insurance often doesn't cover that. or if it does now it didn't used to.

I have no opinion on garages, I only know people who live in them on the West Coast (lol).
Many basements are not under ground dungeons. My basement has 8 ft ceiling, 3 exits (front, back and staircase up to the main entrance on first floor). we installed a sump pump even though we have never had flooding. It is just 4 steps down to get to it.

It is walk in off the streets, tons of natural light. It is just slightly smaller in square footage than the 3 bedroom apartment on the second floor (which is pretty) generous in size.

It is considered a basement by the city. It is much nicer than most people's actual house. We considered going the route of making it a legal unit and converting the building to a 3 family. But the city requires sprinklers, wheelchair accessible ramps and other permits and filings that were just not worth the headache. So we just renovated it and put in a full bathroom with a tub.

I still wouldn't consider the city's offer as once they get their hands on telling u what to do with your property and how u should rent it it would be a headache. So it sits empty.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombero2811 View Post
Good Luck in a FIRE
That's why the city is requiring that property owners hard wire their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and install sprinklers. They will also be required to have two exits in addition to minimum sized windows. There are many large basements that would make fabulous apartments in the city that are unused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City