Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 07:12 PM

654 posts, read 363,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
We get higher compensated Govt employees. Whether that is a good is highly anecdotal from person to person. As for pub trans, you still pay as you go.
But what do those highly paid government workers do that’s necessary? Charlotte seems to make do fine without so many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 09:05 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Wish people would cease trotting out "balance of payment" as some grand scheme federal government cooks up to harm New York, because it isn't. https://rockinst.org/wp-content/uplo...f-Payments.pdf

New York residents and businesses (not state nor local governments) send huge sums to Washington, D.C. because of one simple fact; high earners pay more in taxes than those who aren't. The high concentration of wealth in NY means people and businesses thanks to federal tax code pay more.

OTOH unlike many other states New York doesn't have many (if any?) large military bases, and or other federal spending sources. Yes there are federal courts and agencies, but it isn't as if federal spending is a huge part of NY's economy.

NY does get huge funding for Medicaid (highest in nation) and a few other social programs which helps mitigate some of damage. Federal government also kicks in huge amounts of transit dollars; who do you think forked over large sums for SAS and that rat hole (or rather money pit) called LIRR East Side Access?

You wouldn't know it by way some carry on, but NY does not have same high numbers of poor and destitute you see in other states which brings in federal money (welfare, etc...).

In many other states via various military or other federal government installations they are largest or one of employers. Again that just isn't true overall for NY.

Seems rather odd so many New Yorkers go on about how federal government "takes" more in taxes than it gives back to area. This when entire NYS and most local government budgets do exact GD same thing; take (via high taxes, fees, surcharges, etc...) from those that earn and give to those that don't.

Federal government "takes" NY tax dollars and spends on the busted and poor in flyover states. NY takes tax revenue from high earning inhabitants of state or local areas and gives to the equally poor and busted. Nothing to see here folks, move along.....
Meh, doesn’t matter what you wish, right? It’s what’s happening. Feds have a multitude of ways to spend their dollars within a state and the balance of payments does matter a great deal. It is money taken out, plain and simple and you’d be a GD idiot to not realize that. Does this mean there aren’t money pits in NYC? No, but even money pits is still money put into circulation in the area and NY’s not even making it to that part of the conversation. Spreading things around, helping out the needy is good and all, but the city and metro has infrastructure to fix up. ****ing around and not directing federal spending towards fixing up the infrastructure of one of this country’s primary golden geese is pretty spectacularly stupid.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
police don't respect deblasio so they won't do anything

public transit is falling apart and no new infrastructure is being built

i blame deblasio and maybe DJT because he promised beautiful infrastructure.
Opinion:
During the 90' Mayor Giuliani drove crime down 48% unmatched to date
and then Realtor Donald Trump continued construction of high rise buildings.
This was an atmosphere of high employment and low crime.
Our current knuckleheads in charge are undoing all the hard work of 20 and some years ago.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:05 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, taxes of some kind are generally required for density and 24/7 to be sustained because you need some kind of shared infrastructure and resources to support that level of organization otherwise things can go to **** real quick. I think what you might mean is comparatively?
Its all well and good, except that NYC doesn't spend a lot of money on infrastructure as % of the budget. Any type of infrastructure spending (roads, buses, trains, boats, utilities, sewers, etc.) is way down the list.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:10 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I see that property taxes in NYC are about four times higher (per dollar of value of a home) than in Charlotte, which is a Democratic-run major financial center.

Charlotte has no city tax, and North Carolina state taxes are lower than NYC (both income taxes and sales taxes).

So let’s compare.

In Charlotte, you get:

Mediocre public schools
Mediocre public transit
Mediocre police protection
Mediocre yet relatively inexpensive higher education

In NYC, you get:

Terrible public schools (lower test scores than in Charlotte)
Good public transit
Good police protection
Terrible yet relatively inexpensive higher education

I don’t see that the much higher taxes in NYC give commensurate value. Can someone explain what a middle-class or upper-middle class taxpayer in NYC gets that you wouldn’t get in Charlotte? Better police protection and better mass transit don’t justify the difference.
I know absolutely nothing about Charlotte (I've just driven through on I-85 a few times) so I cannot answer this question.

Hopefully somebody has enough experience living in both places to chime in.

OP would actually be better off asking this in the Charlotte forum, as I'm confident there are former NYCers who post there.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-10-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I know absolutely nothing about Charlotte (I've just driven through on I-85 a few times) so I cannot answer this question.

Hopefully somebody has enough experience living in both places to chime in.

OP would actually be better off asking this in the Charlotte forum, as I'm confident there are former NYCers who post there.

No, this is about NYC.

Charlotte was just one of numerous examples of large cities with much lower taxes than NYC.

What benefit do you get for the high taxes in NYC? I haven't seen any answers showing me exactly what benefit I would get as a NYC taxpayer from paying taxes that are significantly higher than elsewhere.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:06 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
No, this is about NYC.

Charlotte was just one of numerous examples of large cities with much lower taxes than NYC.

What benefit do you get for the high taxes in NYC? I haven't seen any answers showing me exactly what benefit I would get as a NYC taxpayer from paying taxes that are significantly higher than elsewhere.
Well then I guess you answered you own question then. I figured it would be worth it for current Charlotte residents to tell you the difference in what they receive in exchange for their taxes, compared to what they were formerly receiving in NYC.

The only example I can think of is the NYC suburban public schools, a lot of people living in the counties surrouding NYC pay high property taxes, of which a significant portion goes to fund the schools, so generally districts outside of NYC are "considered" good because of this.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-10-2020, 01:18 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
Quote:
No, this is about NYC.

a benefit of higher taxes is higher paying jobs

Old 02-10-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
a benefit of higher taxes is higher paying jobs

I don't see the logic there, either. New Hampshire and Utah have median wages far higher than NY State's median wages. But NY State's taxes are much higher. So NY State's wages would be even lower in the absence of its higher taxes?

Old 02-11-2020, 08:14 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
An average of 10 dirty, nasty, filthy, stinking, crusty, putrid, disgusting, bums on the Brooklyn bound Q train every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City