Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,465 times

Advertisements

I'm considering placing an offer on a unit in the Brady Court cooperative in the Pelham Pkwy/Morris Park area of the Bronx. I love the co-op, the unit, and the neighborhood. My only reservation is that I've noticed that a lot of their deals have fallen through over the last year or so. Anyone able to give some insight on what's happening in that building that buyers seem to not be able to get to closing? Is it a tough board, bad financials...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 07:08 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I have no direct knowledge, but Google turns up this. https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.1338347

Maybe deals were falling through when buyers' lawyers were turning up red flags like what's in the article?

Here's some other info //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...m-parkway.html

Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I have no direct knowledge, but Google turns up this. https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.1338347

Maybe deals were falling through when buyers' lawyers were turning up red flags like what's in the article?

Here's some other info //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...m-parkway.html
I saw this article which was concerning but know that since then they have changed management companies. I haven't been able to find any recent updates... good or bad.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnyinfo View Post
I'm considering placing an offer on a unit in the Brady Court cooperative in the Pelham Pkwy/Morris Park area of the Bronx. I love the co-op, the unit, and the neighborhood. My only reservation is that I've noticed that a lot of their deals have fallen through over the last year or so. Anyone able to give some insight on what's happening in that building that buyers seem to not be able to get to closing? Is it a tough board, bad financials...?
I made an offer for this apartment, https://www.redfin.com/NY/The-Bronx/.../home/44806020 and was told I was out bid by an ALL CASH offer. I could not compete with that. Then it turned out that the deal fell through. Later, when I looked at the history, I saw that this person had put it on and off the market many times over the past few years.

Honestly, the situation in the apartment was pathetic. The couple had all of their belongings in boxes piled into the middle of the main bedroom, just ready to move. The rest of the apartment was sparsely furnished. I felt sorry for them. This was a couple that really needed to move, and is possibly facing overhead they can no longer afford. But this situation has been going on now for years.

Now the apartment itself was in relatively decent shape, but does need some minor work.

My only conclusion is that perhaps the coop board would not allow the seller to sell at a reduced price because they were worried about how that would affect the comps of the other apartments. My other observation about comps is that with coops and condos, they don't seem to be effected by the relative condition of an apartment. What I mean by that is a brand new renovated kitchen is selling at the same price point as ones that need to be renovated.

I liked Brady Court a lot. I was totally willing to live there. The garden like entry is gorgeous. On the other hand there is no place to sit and enjoy this garden. It seems an awful waste. They have storage and a bike room which is a plus. I love the concept they had with the laundry room, where they have a living breathing library. They seem very communal. I did not like that I had to physically leave the building to do laundry. (Sucks in winter.)

Anyway, that's my take.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:50 AM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I made an offer for this apartment, https://www.redfin.com/NY/The-Bronx/.../home/44806020 and was told I was out bid by an ALL CASH offer. I could not compete with that. Then it turned out that the deal fell through. Later, when I looked at the history, I saw that this person had put it on and off the market many times over the past few years.

Honestly, the situation in the apartment was pathetic. The couple had all of their belongings in boxes piled into the middle of the main bedroom, just ready to move. The rest of the apartment was sparsely furnished. I felt sorry for them. This was a couple that really needed to move, and is possibly facing overhead they can no longer afford. But this situation has been going on now for years.

Now the apartment itself was in relatively decent shape, but does need some minor work.

My only conclusion is that perhaps the coop board would not allow the seller to sell at a reduced price because they were worried about how that would affect the comps of the other apartments. My other observation about comps is that with coops and condos, they don't seem to be effected by the relative condition of an apartment. What I mean by that is a brand new renovated kitchen is selling at the same price point as ones that need to be renovated.

I liked Brady Court a lot. I was totally willing to live there. The garden like entry is gorgeous. On the other hand there is no place to sit and enjoy this garden. It seems an awful waste. They have storage and a bike room which is a plus. I love the concept they had with the laundry room, where they have a living breathing library. They seem very communal. I did not like that I had to physically leave the building to do laundry. (Sucks in winter.)

Anyway, that's my take.
Overall, sounds like an outdated set-up. Prolly was the shsh when the 2 train was called the IRT.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-07-2019, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,353 times
Default Brady Court Coops

Don't buy here. They've had issues for over a decade. The coop board is not trustworthy or reliable. Although they'll tell you that's in the past (they have a new mgt., new board, etc.)-it's not. It is a poorly run coop, high expenses, low reserves. Nothing about their quarterly statements adds up. I know. I've been trying to sell my apartment for a while and once the buyer presents all the financials to their lawyer, they back out of deal. It's so frustrating. Oh, and on top of that maintenance is atrocious, except for courtyard. (They try to keep up with appearances. Oh, and they have a community room now...woohoo!) Oh, no hot water this morning and this happens several times a month. So, please reconsider if you are planning on buying here. May I also add, there is one or two board members who have spouses working on Brady Court as handymen or contractors (whatever they do...they don't speak English so it's hard to communicate with them). I thought coop board members weren't suppose to profit off their role as members. Unfortunately, it's hard to fight them that so I'm stuck here for now...smh!

Last edited by Dannylee2; 11-07-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-01-2020, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
I have lived in Brady Court for many years. Overall, it’s a good place to live. The situation that was reported in the Daily News was the personal vendetta of one former board member against the former management company. No wrong doing was found, no charges, etc. It was a bunch of nonsense that is now forever associated with our community. There is one board member who is married to a contractor who does licensed work for shareholders, if they hire him. I had no problem getting my remodeling, by different contractor, approved by the board. There are no board members married to maintenance staff. There is one staff person who doesn’t speak English, out of 5. I don’t speak Spanish so I find an English-speaking staff person if I need someone. The main issue I have is that rumors and false information get spread around. I have never felt that the co-op’s finances have been mismanaged. I wish people would stop spreading false and misinformation

Old 03-09-2020, 10:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
I doubt there is a co-op in the City where the board and the management company aren't skimming funds.

missy,

What are they asking for apartments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City