Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 12:15 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times

Advertisements

Excessive or police just doing their job? I've seen cops arrest someone resisting arrest. (I was passing by a police station when boom! a bunch of cops chased someone down and were trying to handcuff him right in front of me). It's messy. It's seldom pretty. Why? Because the person is resisting arrest! Anyway...I thought things were more relaxed regarding marijuana. I know it's still illegal but it's been decriminalized so...

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...Th2HhG1MJBKrBQ

Video of Man Being Tackled During Arrest in Brooklyn Prompts Protests

Officers believed the two men were smoking marijuana, according to officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 04:37 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,950 times
He dindu nuffin

Old 03-06-2020, 06:00 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Opinion: Rule#1 When approached by an officer always remain calm.....

When will people learn. When approached by an officer. Do not scream.
Do not raise your hands. Do not trash about. Those are all actions that
require force towards submission.

My old man had a saying R.I.P.
After enough kicks in the behind you eventually learn to move out of the way.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:02 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueso View Post
Not supposed to arrest anyone for marijuana anymore. It's a ticket
Opinion:
Agreed if he would have remained calm.
Screaming .yelling, thrashing hands about at officers got him arrested.

Fred Sandford R.I.P. Live and Learn ya big Dummy...............

Old 03-07-2020, 06:10 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,129,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion: Rule#1 When approached by an officer always remain calm.....

When will people learn. When approached by an officer. Do not scream.
Do not raise your hands. Do not trash about. Those are all actions that
require force towards submission.

My old man had a saying R.I.P.
After enough kicks in the behind you eventually learn to move out of the way.
I keep telling my two sons that. They are fast drivers in their early twenties, and one of them has a temporary license to go to work, and wasted a lot of time and money in court. I also don't see the point in argueing with a cop. Just keep a low profile, move on, and bark at the moon later, if need be. Cops aren't always right, but who needs the aggravation?

Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,088,530 times
Can’t really see what happens the moment the backup cops arrived as the video is aimed at the arriving cops and then we see the struggle. I am not a cop or lawyer but I think the first cop should have told him he was under arrest and asked him to put his arms behind his back to handcuff him. I didn’t hear the cop tell the guy he was under arrest. How can a person be resisting arrest if he isn’t told he is under arrest? If he started swinging at the backup cops then their actions were proper.

As far as putting his hands up (not swinging his arms) I don’t see anything wrong with that as it is a sign of surrender. Don’t cops ask suspects to put their hands up? It shows you are not reaching for a weapon or have one in your hands.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:18 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Can’t really see what happens the moment the backup cops arrived as the video is aimed at the arriving cops and then we see the struggle. I am not a cop or lawyer but I think the first cop should have told him he was under arrest and asked him to put his arms behind his back to handcuff him. I didn’t hear the cop tell the guy he was under arrest. How can a person be resisting arrest if he isn’t told he is under arrest? If he started swinging at the backup cops then their actions were proper.

As far as putting his hands up (not swinging his arms) I don’t see anything wrong with that as it is a sign of surrender. Don’t cops ask suspects to put their hands up? It shows you are not reaching for a weapon or have one in your hands.
Yeah that was weird.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-07-2020, 06:47 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Excessive or police just doing their job? I've seen cops arrest someone resisting arrest. (I was passing by a police station when boom! a bunch of cops chased someone down and were trying to handcuff him right in front of me). It's messy. It's seldom pretty. Why? Because the person is resisting arrest! Anyway...I thought things were more relaxed regarding marijuana. I know it's still illegal but it's been decriminalized so...

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...Th2HhG1MJBKrBQ

Video of Man Being Tackled During Arrest in Brooklyn Prompts Protests

Officers believed the two men were smoking marijuana, according to officials.
Why people don’t get this is beyond me....

Old 03-07-2020, 07:10 PM

565 posts, read 362,202 times
I'm white. 47. Know lots of friends who are cops and white/Hispanic. These days cops only gang rush a perp if and only if that perp is resisting hard. This perp was resisting. This wasn't even a beat down like the old days.

Listen. We all know the quality of police has spiraled downward over the last 20 years. Many of them are out of shape, weak, not smart...and, quite frankly, women. Perps are harder for them to take down these days and the perps know it.

Cops just wanna get their 20 in and get the hell out. They are not interested in hard policing like the old days.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:34 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post

A "terry stop" isn't necessarily an arrest. It falls under "reasonable suspicion" defined under People v. Debour, which is a way of saying that an officer can stop you to further conduct an investigation without necessarily making an arrest if it meets that defined level.

Case in point. If someone was robbed for a wallet, and a description comes over the radio, and a cop sees the person that fits that description, he/she can then stop them legally (i.e. they aren't free to leave) without actually arresting them until they are sure they have the right person. Once they are sure they have the right person, they can then place them under arrest or if it's the wrong person, they can let them go.

According to the NYPost, the kid in the article, was seen running from a "shots fired" 911 call. A plain clothes cop saw he and a friend running from the location. he caught up with him, and had him stopped until more cops came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: