Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 10:57 AM

33,752 posts, read 46,990,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I find the smell of pot pleasant, but I don't want to smell it all the time.

I work downtown part-time, and I have definitely noticed an increase in the occurrences of the smell on the streets from when I worked there 20 - 30 years ago. When I was young and working at the WTC and we smoked on our lunch hour, we'd go away from the building and find little side streets and obscure places to smoke so as not to be detected. The residents' garden area at Battery Park City was always a good spot. During the day rarely was anyone in there.

LOL, I remember one day when President Clinton was coming to the WTC. We walked outside to do our usual thing, and there were SWAT teams with heavy firepower on the roofs of all the surrounding buildings. Not that they were going to pick off a couple of office workers smoking weed, but we walked further away that day, just in case.
I smell weed in TriBeCa all the time, its normal now

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM

15,515 posts, read 15,517,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Is the smell bothersome to many? Always wondered. To me it smells better than cigarettes
Ugh. All right, maybe not as bad as cigarettes, and certain better than cigars, but still - ugh! Who cares about the demographics? I just object to the smell.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:18 PM

8,915 posts, read 4,717,411 times
Ok, silly question. How does pot smell like? I've been smelling things out on my hallway lately but I'm thinking it's more incense (used to cover up the pot smell), rather than pot itself.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:39 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,556,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Ok, silly question. How does pot smell like? I've been smelling things out on my hallway lately but I'm thinking it's more incense (used to cover up the pot smell), rather than pot itself.
It smells very herbal and sharp.

Similar to skunk spray smells (from a distance), as well.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:41 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,556,477 times
I feel like people are likely to say they prefer the smell of weed to cigs because that's the politically correct thing to say.

Weed is "super cool", so by default it must smell amazing.

I personally don't have an issue with either, there are much worse smells out there that you will encounter (like urine, garbage, rotten fish, body odor, etc.).

Old 02-17-2020, 08:43 PM

88,231 posts, read 84,175,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I feel like people are likely to say they prefer the smell of weed to cigs because that's the politically correct thing to say.

Weed is "super cool", so by default it must smell amazing.

I personally don't have an issue with either, there are much worse smells out there that you will encounter (like urine, garbage, rotten fish, body odor, etc.).
I don't think it's politically correct. Cigarette smoke, which I also don't mind even though I'm an ex-smoker, tends to catch you in the throat and make you feel as if it is cutting off your breath.

Pot is more pungent, but is easier to breathe, and any discomfort from smelling it passes quickly.

And yes, there are many worse smells in the city than either.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,637,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think it's politically correct. Cigarette smoke, which I also don't mind even though I'm an ex-smoker, tends to catch you in the throat and make you feel as if it is cutting off your breath.

Pot is more pungent, but is easier to breathe, and any discomfort from smelling it passes quickly.

And yes, there are many worse smells in the city than either.
And with pot, there 'is' that plus of a contact high.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,574,247 times
Most folks probably don't realize that pot leaves residual, can stain your shirts, the smell can stay in your hair for a long long time if you are very close to the source for a good amount of time. Police use to take hair samples in court for evidence so it's something you don't want on your hair as it can leave a stench if you hangout a lot with potheads.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 AM

33,752 posts, read 46,990,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most folks probably don't realize that pot leaves residual, can stain your shirts, the smell can stay in your hair for a long long time if you are very close to the source for a good amount of time. Police use to take hair samples in court for evidence so it's something you don't want on your hair as it can leave a stench if you hangout a lot with potheads.
You do know that when they use hair follicles to test for marijuana that they're not testing the scent of the hair, right? What do you think the cops are doing, sniffing ppl's heads? Haha.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-18-2020, 10:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,574,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You do know that when they use hair follicles to test for marijuana that they're not testing the scent of the hair, right? What do you think the cops are doing, sniffing ppl's heads? Haha.
I'm well aware of that, they are testing for presence of THC oils which can give you a nasty scent with your sweat. I use to go clubbing all the time with that scent and oil on me. When I hit the bed, if I don't wash my hair afterwards it leaves a nasty brown stain on my pillow and it is hard to wash off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: