Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:31 AM

3,696 posts, read 3,426,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They need to change how street cleaning parking rules are enforced. The law would be against actually interfering with street sweeping, not just parking while alternate side is on. Instead of having the brownies writing up anyone parking (defined as no one being in/with the car) in a spot that's in it's alternate side period, they should put cameras on the street sweepers, record the plate of anyone blocking the sweeper (whether the driver is in the car or not), and send them a ticket. That's the only enforcement there'd be.

This would do a couple things. First, once the sweeper is past, people wouldn't have to stay in their cars. It's a little idiotic to force people to do this past the point where it serves any purpose. Second, it would penalize people who stay in their cars and still block the sweeper. I see this a lot. And it means a fair amount of gutter doesn't get swept. If these people started getting fined, they'd the the pluck out of the way. Third, if there wasn't a need to manual enforce ASP, they could cut down the number of brownies the city needs. I see it as a win all around.
Cameras? Lol. Easy the motorists will just block their plate by standing in front of the plate challenging the broom driver. The sanitation worker has no authority to do anything else and will just go around them. C'mon.

It's bad enough now multiple cars in a single block "break down" when we come by. They just out their hoods up and pretend to be working on their cars.

It's amazing how the same cars are always breaking down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 12:06 PM

8,647 posts, read 11,024,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This needs to be done across the board. The major offenders are government workers using the personal cars with placards. Walk a 5 block radius around any court house during ASP and count the personal cars with placards not being moved.
this abuse is pretty bad. I'll admit, its marginally improved in the past 12 months.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:17 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,133,126 times
Staten Island does not have ASP (except for on a few blocks, see thumbnail) and we have the cleanest streets in the entire city, a 97.7% cleanliness rating:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/operatio...cbr_street.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Alternate Side Parking Fines Set at  Citywide-si_asp_09-20181.jpg  

Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 PM

33,814 posts, read 47,033,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Staten Island does not have ASP (except for on a few blocks, see thumbnail) and we have the cleanest streets in the entire city, a 97.7% cleanliness rating:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/operatio...cbr_street.pdf
Clearly the reason why SI has the cleanest streets is not because of not having ASP, so whats your point?

I have relatives who live in a part of Queens that does not have ASP and I've never seen litter on their street.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2020, 12:49 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,133,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Clearly the reason why SI has the cleanest streets is not because of not having ASP, so whats your point?

I have relatives who live in a part of Queens that does not have ASP and I've never seen litter on their street.

My point is that without ASP and the related sweepers our streets are the cleanest in the city. Ditto for your relative's part of Queens. ASP is more about revenue than clean streets.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
My point is that without ASP and the related sweepers our streets are the cleanest in the city. Ditto for your relative's part of Queens. ASP is more about revenue than clean streets.
Respectfully disagree. It's not about revenue, it's about not having a lot of multiple dwellings. Where my relatives live at, there's only one apartment building in the entire neighborhood and its a garden apartment complex. More apartment buildings means you have a higher chance of living on a dirtier street.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-21-2020 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-21-2020, 12:57 PM

It's not a out revenue and not about multiple dwellings. It's about the residents. Let's be real. In some neighborhoods generation after generation have been taught to have no responsibility for themselves and someone will always clean up after them.

How come other parts of the world like Japan or Singapore have super clean streets even in neighborhoods with multiple dwellings and skyscrapers?

Old 02-21-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
It's not a out revenue and not about multiple dwellings. It's about the residents. Let's be real. In some neighborhoods generation after generation have been taught to have no responsibility for themselves and someone will always clean up after them.

How come other parts of the world like Japan or Singapore have super clean streets even in neighborhoods with multiple dwellings and skyscrapers?
Because Japan and Singapore don't have a lot of third world people going there to live and make money

You should know better

Give me your poor, your tired, you know the rest

Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM

Being poor is no excuse for being messy. That's the problem everyone gives poor people a pass for everything because... "Poor"

That must be great for their self esteem and self worth.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Being poor is no excuse for being messy. That's the problem everyone gives poor people a pass for everything because... "Poor"

That must be great for their self esteem and self worth.
You do know what Third World means right

Show me a rich Third World country and I will Ca$h App you a dollar

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City