Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 09:11 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How long have you lived here?
Since 2011...I am hugely anti crime so I moved here with big doubts about how long I would stay...but it was good to see that the areas where I lived, worked or frequented aren’t unsafe just as other places that I have lived or visited, so I have stayed put. But I am always on watch, and any signs of things going bad again like in the old days, I will be quick on my feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 09:18 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Since 2011...I am hugely anti crime so I moved here with big doubts about how long I would stay...but it was good to see that the areas where I lived, worked or frequented aren’t unsafe just as other places that I have lived or visited, so I have stayed put. But I am always on watch, and any signs of things going bad again like in the old days, I will be quick on my feet.
Its actually good that you've only been here 9 years

Because you have no idea how bad this city really was to live in

Nowadays you look on any train car and you can count up ten of thousands of dollars in devices out, no matter the time of day

When you see nobody with their phone out on the train anymore then we have a problem

Because I grew up when you could not have even have a Walkman out on the train or even wear a watch, you were just simply getting robbed that day and thats it

People got robbed for sneakers, coats, hats, like you really could not leave your house showing anything at all

When ppl are robbing for clothes then call me

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-22-2020, 12:49 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:

Nowadays you look on any train car and you can count up ten of thousands of dollars in devices out, no matter the time of day

When you see nobody with their phone out on the train anymore then we have a problem

Because I grew up when you could not have even have a Walkman out on the train or even wear a watch, you were just simply getting robbed that day and thats it

People got robbed for sneakers, coats, hats, like you really could not leave your house showing anything at all

NYC has existed a lot longer than just the 70’s and 80’s. You keep bringing up those times as if it was somehow most representative of NYC’s long history when it really was the absolute bottom but relatively brief period.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
NYC has existed a lot longer than just the 70’s and 80’s. You keep bringing up those times as if it was somehow most representative of NYC’s long history when it really was the absolute bottom but relatively brief period.
My point is it was really bad then

Majority on here who post dont think this "spike" is brief

Old 02-22-2020, 01:17 AM

JFK, LaGuardia and Newark might not record snow in February at all

Warm weather

Old 02-22-2020, 02:19 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How many decades have you lived in NYC and not in the suburbs? Do you live in NYC now?

Old 02-22-2020, 02:51 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:

Yep, hell that was going on even when I was in high school (2003-2007), though things were starting to improve somewhat by then.

Note, even when things were starting to "improve," you would not wear white headphones outside around this time as the chances of being robbed would increase significantly as thieves thought you had an iPod or some other Apple device. I was attacked by a group of teens when on my way home from school for this exact same reason . . . I knew it wasn't the brightest idea to have my white head phones on (I had an earlier model iPod), but I was just tired of giving a crap at that point.

The NYC I grew up in saw my father getting robbed at gunpoint on our block in Bed Stuy on his way home from work (he was willing to fight and die if they demanded to come to the house as he knew we all would be home), heard nightly gunfire, saw people getting put up against the wall and robbed in broad daylight (as I saw outside the Chase Bank at Restoration Plaza in Bed Stuy), saw my family and I literally dodging bullets as we were several feet from the intended target of a hit when walking home on Nostrand Avenue in the mid-1990s.

Yes, things have improved a LOT. Newcomers should thank their lucky stars they didn't have to live through all of that crap; of course, this shouldn't mean that they should have to put up with any backward slide in safety. I'm glad that those of us who stuck it out get to live through the increased property values, safer streets, etc.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How many decades have you lived in NYC and not in the suburbs? Do you live in NYC now?
Came to NYC in 1979. Went to public school from first grade through high school. Went to school out of state (AZ) from 93-98. Came back to NYC in 2000 just in time to experience 9/11. Got a job soon after. Stayed in NYC until 2009. Found another job in NJ and moved here to where I am now since.

My family’s home has always been in NYC all this time and I go back every week (in fact I will get up to go after I type this). I also travel in the NYC metro area for my work so I am in NYC for work on average 2-3 times a week so in a way, I have never left.

That’s enough about me. What about you?

Old 02-22-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
My point is it was really bad then

Majority on here who post dont think this "spike" is brief
I know what your point is. And you don’t know if this spike is brief or not. None of us do but what we all can do is talk about the policies that potentially can affect that but you seem to be against even talking about it. Always trying to dismiss.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:08 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:

Yep!

I been here since the 90's and I had to wear Mountain Gear, Gortex and Shaqs because people were robbing everyone for their Timbs and Jordans. I wore SouthPole or French Toast jackets because people were robbing North Face and Vansons.

People could get robbed, and on their way to find a police station they will get robbed again. It made zero sense! People who moved here and getting shocked at the little things that happen have not been exposed to the really crazy sht. NYC is a cake walk now you got school kids walking around with Apple watch, iPhone 11 pro, and Airpods like its nothing... 20 years ago.....nah...that stuff would have been gone in a week of owning them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City