Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 09:34 PM

98 posts, read 43,308 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile restruants can still use bags ( which is great, sensical ) but when you ask some of them that dont know they look at you like you asked to buy crack or something. Its very frustrating hi io
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 09:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If I am not mistaken you are a Liberal. Fresh Direct will put many small businesses out and you will see more empty retail corridors. More low paid immigrants out of work as well, including many undocumented. This because you don't patronize them.

You cannot have Fresh Direct and Amazon and then blame the landlord when small businesses go belly up.
Dude. I moved into a neighborhood that doesn't have quality produce. I didn't create that problem, it was there when I got there.

I shop in businesses that carry the items I want. If they don't have what I want, I don't patronize them.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:52 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
What I think is a crock of crap is you have to pay 5 cents per bag. So if you need it double bagged since you have to carry your groceries on the train and the store uses cheap bags you have to pay 10 cents. It should be 5 cents per bagged goods...Perhaps stores should then make better quality bags.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
What I think is a crock of crap is you have to pay 5 cents per bag. So if you need it double bagged since you have to carry your groceries on the train and the store uses cheap bags you have to pay 10 cents. It should be 5 cents per bagged goods...Perhaps stores should then make better quality bags.
To be clear.. the stores do not "make the bags" they supply them as a courtesy to you the consumer. If you want to dig real deep into the law.. stores technically don’t have to supply you with any bags at all!! Therefore Bring Your Own Bag.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:51 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
To be clear.. the stores do not "make the bags" they supply them as a courtesy to you the consumer. If you want to dig real deep into the law.. stores technically don’t have to supply you with any bags at all!! Therefore Bring Your Own Bag.
Oh hush up....I do bring my own bag and have for years before you all jumped on this. And yes the stores do produce bags for their stores. Why do you think it says the stores name on the bags. They didn't just find a stack of bags with their name on and start using them.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:04 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I went to Trader Joes on Spring Street this week and the line started in the frozen foods section, for those of you that know the layout

The line moved fast, but now I wonder if the line was so long because now the cashiers have to count the amount of paper bags being given out so that they could ring those up as well.

PS: I paid a nickel for my paper bag and felt a little sad.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-11-2020, 06:06 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I went to Trader Joes on Spring Street this week and the line started in the frozen foods section, for those of you that know the layout

The line moved fast, but now I wonder if the line was so long because now the cashiers have to count the amount of paper bags being given out so that they could ring those up as well.

PS: I paid a nickel for my paper bag and felt a little sad.
This goes to show this is not about plastic or type of bag used, as trader Joes stopped using plastic bags to bag groceries for years. this is about keeping those "ants in line" and punishing customers for opting for the store to serve them. Of course, big stores would not object to saving money and being a little lazier.

I view bag ban pushers individuals as low as begging scammers who make up stories to get people to give money to them with many half-truths and stories that would sway people to thinking that its true. And with each passing politicians are more and more likely to give in rather than tell them to knock it off. Remember when the same governor Cuomo ordered NYC to cease the desist on charging a five cent bag tax a little more than an year ago and politicians many of them Democrats themselves also opposed it. In other words it wasn't just the Republicans that opposed it, which people would just say they oppose any Democrat agenda as a rule.

nypost.com/2020/03/05/to-fight-coronavirus-gov-cuomo-should-suspend-nys-new-plastic-bag-ban/
I totally agree with this post, I am surprised that there was no emergency order to suspend or at least delay this despite being scheduled to take effect at the height of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Remember many of the disposable items we see these days whether its bags, straws, utencils, packaging, or medical devices were originally developed not for convenience but as health and safety requirements by lessons learned by previous disease outbreaks over the 20th century which were spread severely as people reused items that were covered in the infection. Apparently those activists these days completely forget why we use these and want to coeice people to go back to the old days in the name of saving the planet.
There are plenty of other ways, i.e developing real compostable of the same materials. If stores would be smarter in using a combination paper to bag sharp edged (plastic bag tearing) groceries and plastic on the wet groceries they could cut plastic use a lot while increasing recycled paper use just slightly. This way its a win win and you make customers happier as well.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:48 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Whole Foods used to put your items in a paper bag (double bagged usually) without charge. Now, they have to charge you for the bags.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:38 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Buy washable reusable ones, pay the fine, go to Ikea and steal the big blue one or commit tax fraud and get them for free. I really don't see why this is such a big deal. It's a worthless inconvenience of a law that'll change nothing. Get used to it.
I would love to know a little about your life, that you think it's no big deal. Do you do the grocery shopping yourself? On foot? In the rain? Does your shopping list include buying plastic bags for garbage? Do you take care of the garbage yourself? Do you ever want to tie up something securely for the trash so it won't smell? Do you ever carry things that you want to keep clean or safe or dry when you're on foot, like shoes or books?

Old 04-21-2020, 06:23 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Don't like paper bags because you can bring roaches home in them, so that's out.

Happily have a stash of Associated, DAG and other local supermarket shopping bags, and none of these places are charging when they bag up things either. That or when am doing major grocery shopping in NJ just nab a bunch of bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City