Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 16,719 times

Advertisements

My family is interested in buying a house in brooklyn a one family house, we are first time owners and are kind of stuck in between buying a big one family house or a legal 2 family house. for the one family it is cheaper and we would like to register and make it a two family house. does anyone know the costs for permits and everything to make a single family house into a legal two family house? how much will the total cost be and how long will it take?

Do you think it would be better to buy a big single family and convert to multi or buy a multi. in our case the multi is about 40K more expensive. The size is about the same but want to know the time and cost to convert one family to two family.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 09:21 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Department of building has free homeowners night. In Brooklyn it's Tuesday night downtown brooklyn. Across from shake shack. They are very accommodating with permits needed and how to questions. Be prepared to spend about $100k.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:25 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
For $40k definetly buy the two family. Conversion will cost more and be an aggravating headache If u are not up to the challenge

Old 03-02-2020, 09:31 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
For $40k definetly buy the two family. Conversion will cost more and be an aggravating headache If u are not up to the challenge

I agree. Go with the 2-family. Buying the 1-family and converting it to a 2-family will cost way more than the $40k price difference. If you do decide to buy the 1-family and convert it to a 2-family be forewarned that very expensive new 'green' requirements like solar panels may make it prohibitive.
https://www.silive.com/news/2020/01/...new-homes.html

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Thank you for response. This one family house is actually the same size as the two family house, just a mother daughter style but the 3rd floor is a little bigger. we are hesitant because for the two family the mortgage and taxes are higher and monthly rent will be higher but for the 1 family we have cash upfront to pay off permits and etc but just wanted to know the costs to convert, we heard its only 40K but not sure.

Also the two family was a single family originally which was converted by the homeowner into a two family, the reason my family is debating is mainly because of mortgage costs. we just need to know the total costs for conversion, etc so we know for sure.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmichy View Post
Thank you for response. This one family house is actually the same size as the two family house, just a mother daughter style but the 3rd floor is a little bigger. we are hesitant because for the two family the mortgage and taxes are higher and monthly rent will be higher but for the 1 family we have cash upfront to pay off permits and etc but just wanted to know the costs to convert, we heard its only 40K but not sure.

Also the two family was a single family originally which was converted by the homeowner into a two family, the reason my family is debating is mainly because of mortgage costs. we just need to know the total costs for conversion, etc so we know for sure.

Quote:
This one family house is actually the same size as the two family house, just a mother daughter style

Again, be careful if you choose this house because in NYC there is legally no such thing as a 'mother-daughter' house. Private homes are either 1, 2 or 3 family homes with no shared facilities like kitchens or bathrooms.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:51 PM

hello dfc99,

thank you for response, i really appreciate it, that makes sense, do you know or can direct me to where i can find the costs associated with converting a 1 family house to a 2 family so we can know more? Because i think my family is interested in doing construction

Old 03-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
hello dfc99,

thank you for response, i really appreciate it, that makes sense, do you know or can direct me to where i can find the costs associated with converting a 1 family house to a 2 family so we can know more? Because i think my family is interested in doing construction

You're going to have to get estimates from individual local contractors.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:44 PM

104 posts, read 102,425 times
See this thread where I posted some details.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-2-family.html

Start by talking to architects if it’s even feasible e.g. do you have enough square footage.
Also, make sure you won’t need a sprinkler system (30k job by itself).

Old 03-03-2020, 04:29 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
My family is interested in buying a house in brooklyn a one family house, we are first time owners and are kind of stuck in between buying a big one family house or a legal 2 family house. for the one family it is cheaper and we would like to register and make it a two family house. does anyone know the costs for permits and everything to make a single family house into a legal two family house? how much will the total cost be and how long will it take?

Do you think it would be better to buy a big single family and convert to multi or buy a multi. in our case the multi is about 40K more expensive. The size is about the same but want to know the time and cost to convert one family to two family.

Thank you
Opinion:
Have you ever considered an underutilized 2 family.
It is basically a 2 family house on paper being used as a one family.
Property taxes will be that of a two family.
It will be cheaper than purchasing a 2 family.
You will be able to have mother in law live in
the separate apartment " without " mortgage issue.
You can convert it back to a legal two family down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City