Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 11:36 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Why would someone who grew up in NYC not be outraged by an incident like this? Your statement MIGHT make sense if you said surprised, but outraged? Are we supposed to accept this just because we grew up here?
Because its too late for outrage, changes should have been happening decades ago to prevent this.

NYC is filled with people who don't care until it happens to them. As a community anyone who saw and experienced that behavior back in the 90s should have raised their kids to be better/do better than what they had to go through but the cycle repeats.

For something like this to happen in 2020 its more to ask when this was happening in the 90s it went unnoticed because the media didnt draw attention to it. Its been more than 20 years for surprises and outrage of this kind of behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 01:04 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
You post makes no sense to me. These kids were born in the 2000's, so even going back to their birth doesn't get you to the 90's or 80's.

You contradict your point when you say that "NYC is filled with people who don't care until it happens to them." The previous point you made was basically, "who cares?"

So which is it? I am outraged by incidents like this, and I vote accordingly to do my small part to one day rid ourselves of the politicians who created the environment which has returned us to those days when these types of incidents were all too common.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM

Yes, these kids were in the 2000's but their parents weren't, high chance their teachers weren't, and high chance the administrating body that oversee the kids during school hours weren't born in the the 2000's either. At what point didnt an adult notice something like this was not going to happen and prevent it. Something like this dont just randomly happen, its planned. Somewhere throughout the school day an adult had to have noticed something and try to prevent it.

Yes my first post states "NYC is filled with people who don't care until it happens to them." but that does not simplify my post to "who cares". What that post says is that this type of behavior been happening long enough that its to easy to just have the default outrage reaction because outrage is the easy way out of the big question of how did they get to the point of more than 10 boys beating on a girl and no one saw any signs of this attack leading up to the point. Where was the prevention?

Outrage would have been the reaction if this happened in 2010, but this is passed that stage, its 2020 and communities with this type of behavior history or those who grew up in this type of environment should be more about prevention before things escalate instead of reacting after the violence.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:13 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
My role is not to solve the problem of animals like this. That’s for other people. My expression of outrage is exactly what the average citizen is expected to do (and the extent of our responsibility). It is the elected officials, teachers, justice system and most of all, parents, who have responsibility in incidents like this.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-12-2020, 03:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
definitely the parents and condoms

Old 03-12-2020, 06:21 PM

874 posts, read 454,252 times

my son is a goooood boy !

I don't understand WHY it's taking so long to add "prosecuting parents" along with their
UNDERAGE (14-17) VIOLENT-minded sons for such EGREGIOUS, senseless, vicious crimes. what ? they're all brought up by their aunt or grandmother ?

Old 03-12-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My role is not to solve the problem of animals like this. That’s for other people. My expression of outrage is exactly what the average citizen is expected to do (and the extent of our responsibility). It is the elected officials, teachers, justice system and most of all, parents, who have responsibility in incidents like this.
What many parents/teachers/faculty/staff in these type of communities fail to do is inform/educate/explain to their kids that they are in a digital world where their actions will live with them for the rest of their life due to the internet.

Back when i was growing up and something like this happened, it would be talked about for maybe a week, no one would be identified, the victim would transfer schools, and it was swept under the rug. But today?nope. Cameras are everywhere and now each one of those boys involved will have this hanging over their head for the rest of their life with video. Any further progression in life to better themselves will turn up this video and it will hinder their progress.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:14 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Maybe if these punks saw their parents take a beating like that for what they did they would reconsider their actions. This behavior is disgusting. Why shouldn't we blame the parents for this? It was their offspring that did this and they need to be held accountable.
At some point kids are going to do whatever they want to do. You've never seen families where there's one screw-up?

Old 03-13-2020, 06:27 AM

34,083 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
At some point kids are going to do whatever they want to do. You've never seen families where there's one screw-up?
Majority of people participating in this thread don't have children

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-13-2020, 06:50 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
There's over a dozen kids here beating on this girl. There is a lot more than one screw up here. So these kids are the screw ups from their family? Nahh. Look deeper. It's poor parenting by people who should have never had kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City