Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 05:11 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

Just curious.

I am hoping to spend some major time in NYC.

Just got a new dog.

I take him outside to do his business.

I have potty pads in the house, but he has never used them.

I am wondering HOW people train their dogs to go potty in the apartment on potty pads.

If you have stories, I would love to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 05:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
We use the wee wee pads in the wee wee pad frame, we got both at the Chewy web site. The frame with the pad is placed in an alcove by the back door. We trained her by bringing her to the pad often and giving her a treat when she peed or pooped on it. She will sometimes pee outside when we go for a walk, but only poops on the pad. She's a 9 lb. chihuahua/min pinscher mix and we use the 24" pad. We change the pad after each poop, and after one or two pees, but it's better than having to go outside several times a day. Before she goes to bed at night, we have a little stand up wooden fence that goes in front of the pad and we put her in that confined space on the pad until she pees and poops.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
We use the wee wee pads in the wee wee pad frame, we got both at the Chewy web site. The frame with the pad is placed in an alcove by the back door. We trained her by bringing her to the pad often and giving her a treat when she peed or pooped on it. She will sometimes pee outside when we go for a walk, but only poops on the pad. She's a 9 lb. chihuahua/min pinscher mix and we use the 24" pad. We change the pad after each poop, and after one or two pees, but it's better than having to go outside several times a day. Before she goes to bed at night, we have a little stand up wooden fence that goes in front of the pad and we put her in that confined space on the pad until she pees and poops.
Thank you so much for sharing how you do it! It helps so much!!!

I will look up "Wee Wee Pad Frame" - I have one of those green grass things, but so far, no luck. I think I will have to restrict his access (like you do with the fence) to really train him to go inside. Right now, he thinks it's bad.

Can you share your wooden fence? What does it look like? I just ordered a couple of white wooden "gates" from Wayfair . . . maybe yours is similar.

Thank you!

Old 03-08-2020, 06:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Our dog likes the wee wee pad in the holder. She's two now and we trained her in about a month, starting at about 10 weeks. We were both home as we are retired so we put her on the pad after every meal, and every two hours, and first thing in the morning and last thing at night. She sleeps in a dog bed in a closed crate so she very rarely has an accident. Sometimes if she has to go in the middle of the night she hits the cage bars with her paw and I wake up. The little treats helped. She still gets a treat every time she goes on the pad. The pads are 30 cents each in boxes of 100, and we probably use 5 or 6 a day, but it beats going out in the morning and at night and a few times during the day in all kinds of weather.

Here are two pics, one of the fence and pad, and a closeup of the pad. Good luck.

http://tinyurl.com/spauza5

http://tinyurl.com/s7lbvn5

Here's a link to the pads.

https://www.chewy.com/simple-solutio...ining/dp/56101

Here's a link to the holder/frame.

https://www.chewy.com/dogit-clean-tr...older/dp/50630

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Thank you so much for sharing how you do it! It helps so much!!!

I will look up "Wee Wee Pad Frame" - I have one of those green grass things, but so far, no luck. I think I will have to restrict his access (like you do with the fence) to really train him to go inside. Right now, he thinks it's bad.

Can you share your wooden fence? What does it look like? I just ordered a couple of white wooden "gates" from Wayfair . . . maybe yours is similar.

Thank you!

Last edited by bobspez; 03-08-2020 at 06:53 PM..

Old 03-09-2020, 06:01 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Opinion:
Love the posts. Let me add my years of experience as a multi pet owner.
Having a commercial linoleum floor is of great benefit over wooden or any type of tiled floor.
It is next to impossible to stop accidents from happening and over time urine wreaks havoc.
My linoleum is over 10 years old, simulated to look like wood flooring and has held up well
in addition to protecting the floor underneath. It is not as expensive as wood floors to replace
and can be done in two days. Something to think about.

I enjoy the compliments form visitors today of my well kept home because of linoleum floors as compared
to someone entering and squeezing their nostrils shut with their fingers because of tile soaked stinky tiled floors
to which I had no choice but to promptly show them the door. ( embarrassing yes, but my dogs come first no matter what )

Best wishes to all and their fury little children..............

Old 03-09-2020, 08:09 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Why can't you just take him outside?

Old 03-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Our dog likes the wee wee pad in the holder. She's two now and we trained her in about a month, starting at about 10 weeks. We were both home as we are retired so we put her on the pad after every meal, and every two hours, and first thing in the morning and last thing at night. She sleeps in a dog bed in a closed crate so she very rarely has an accident. Sometimes if she has to go in the middle of the night she hits the cage bars with her paw and I wake up. The little treats helped. She still gets a treat every time she goes on the pad. The pads are 30 cents each in boxes of 100, and we probably use 5 or 6 a day, but it beats going out in the morning and at night and a few times during the day in all kinds of weather.

Here are two pics, one of the fence and pad, and a closeup of the pad. Good luck.

http://tinyurl.com/spauza5

http://tinyurl.com/s7lbvn5

Here's a link to the pads.

https://www.chewy.com/simple-solutio...ining/dp/56101

Here's a link to the holder/frame.

https://www.chewy.com/dogit-clean-tr...older/dp/50630
Wow. Thank you for all of the links and pics. I had never seen that frame before.

I have a question about one of your pics where the gate is pictured. Do you just place your dog in that small space and wait, or???

I bought two gates from Wayfair. At the time I ordered them, I must have had a similar plan in mind, but now can't remember what I was thinking might work.

I hope I can retrain him to go inside. Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Why can't you just take him outside?
Did you read the OP?

Retraining for location - now live in a home with easy access to outside.

Want to go to NYC where I will most likely be in an apartment building. It is not convenient to go up and down stairs constantly in any kind of weather in the middle of the night or early morning, etc.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:16 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Did you read the OP?

Retraining for location - now live in a home with easy access to outside.

Want to go to NYC where I will most likely be in an apartment building. It is not convenient to go up and down stairs constantly in any kind of weather in the middle of the night or early morning, etc.
I did read it. People in apartment buildings in NYC go outside all the time to walk their dogs. Going to local dog parks is a great way to meet people, too. Get an apartment with an elevator if stairs are an issue.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I did read it. People in apartment buildings in NYC go outside all the time to walk their dogs. Going to local dog parks is a great way to meet people, too. Get an apartment with an elevator if stairs are an issue.
I have been thinking about this for a long time.

My dog (like most) has to go out early in the morning, throughout the day, and late at night. I do not want to be getting in the elevator at 3 a.m. in my PJ's!!!! (Same with early mornings - it would be so embarrassing and inconvenient!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City