Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 01:49 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I'm loving these off the cuff numbers people are giving. I look forward to re-visiting in a month.

The "Doomsday" numbers people give here and "Doomsday Facts" that are running rampant in this thread has really pushed me away and I rarely check in anymore sadly. This has turning into an echo chamber of what 24 hour news shows tout on TV all day.

me? I watch the Governor Speak, The President speak and REALLY listen to everything. Then I follow a few scientific websites on the matter for factual data about what's happening. This is why I am not freaking out.

Too bad most people can't pull themselves away from the TV for a bit and get honest numbers.

This is why it's important to do your own research and for ppl not to watch the news so often. I try to watch it as little as possible. They are heavily unreliable.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:51 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
I'm sure by now, everyone has got the memo but just in case...

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...0OaFftPzj-wWYs

All New Yorkers Now Recommended to Cover Nose and Mouth When Outside

Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 PM

874 posts, read 454,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulessone “I hope everyone takes this into consideration when voting in their next party leaders.”

Before President Trump……there were others in charge.

They ALL lived in some world……

Don’t blame the President – fully. Give him a break – yet at the same time – there are things
I don’t care for the way it’s being handled. America should have been prepared for something
like this WAY before Donald Trump.

- 99% of our troops around the world should pack up and get back home (IMO)

- even though we need these supplies, it makes me ill we have to buy ‘N95 masks’ and
generic surgical masks from CHINA. (why can’t we make them here now)? I know, the
cost is cheaper in CHINA……………….masks went from 1 @ .70c to 1 @ $7.00

- and how the Governors (ny & NJ) and other states competing with one another and
bidding against one another to buy masks and begging for more ventilators….
(the Governor was right - the Fed Gov't (FEMA) should have bought a sh1tload of masks
and divvy out to the states)

- and how nurses are making out their last will & testaments….

a deadly & vile virus, a mutatious strain of a germ, making people (from a baby to the
elderly to a healthy young man who took his vitamins, ate his veggies and exercised)……
left sick, dying or dead. since it’s this deadly, too bad the nurses and dr.'s aren't wearing
hazmat suits or other full body covering - i don't understand that. it's that deadly
& contagious. wish they can use robots to approach the person having ‘covid-19’ and
attend to them as much as possible too....

Those people squished into subway cars…. It’s not good.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:53 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
For me it's hard to say because I'm barely leaving the house. However, living here and being in various local Facebook groups and neighborhood forums and such, yes, I'd say it really is that bad. The first hand accounts from healthcare workers or anyone who has to enter a hospital sound really disturbing.

In my building (we have two separate buildings with about 100 residents in each), we've been notified that two people are diagnosed positive. Also one of our staff members is on self quarantine. So basically, it seems like it's everywhere. And if you get sick enough to need a hospital, well, Sh7t. That's really bad at this point as the hospitals are over run.

I'm surprised when I hear about people in other parts of the country living relatively normal lives. Being here in NY surrounded by this bad news and the ambulance sirens, it's hard to remember normal.

I hear you about people living normal. Something really needs to be done about essential stores. Grocery stores still have to many people in them. I'm sure people are getting sick because of that.

I know grocery stores need to stay open but something needs to be done.

Fortunately we live in a technological type life so people can get food delivered & in the future I feel things will only get better (when I say future I mean years from now) with less reason to go outside as long as delivery services are available.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,966,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I'm sure by now, everyone has got the memo but just in case...

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...0OaFftPzj-wWYs

All New Yorkers Now Recommended to Cover Nose and Mouth When Outside
Okay, I foresee a curve level off in ~10-14 days from now on...if they can strictly enforce this.

It takes them so long to learn that the majority of the virus comes of the upper “holes” from the sick/carriers...

Plugging up the holes is the single most important measure to stop the spread... how is this so difficult to understand and act on??

Masks, Masks, Masks!!

Old 04-03-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Just so unnecessary. Not cute. Not funny. People are dying in droves. And the fact you refer to it as the "chinese" virus speaks volumes. smh.
yeah, it's a joke to me. you got me.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:04 PM

213 posts, read 508,641 times
I'm next-of-kin to an elderly parent, and have been staying with her to 1) make sure she stays inside as much as humanly possible, 2) braving the elements to take care of groceries and laundry for her. A couple of people within a 5-block radius of her have already passed away, so I couldn't leave her by herself.

I've been a nervous mess over using public laundromats lately. Her apartment building has a small, relatively well-kept laundry, but should I be taking additional precautions aside from protecting my face/hands and washing when no one's around?

Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Would be nice if people would say China virus instead of Chinese virus, or just the coronavirus/covid, but I digress...
ok, the China Virus it is then.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I hear you about people living normal. Something really needs to be done about essential stores. Grocery stores still have to many people in them. I'm sure people are getting sick because of that.

I know grocery stores need to stay open but something needs to be done.

Fortunately we live in a technological type life so people can get food delivered & in the future I feel things will only get better (when I say future I mean years from now) with less reason to go outside as long as delivery services are available.
People still work in distribution in shipping companies and those delivering the food or packaging it for delivery will still eventually get sick.

At this point all they can do is slow down the spread or the virus so hospitals are not more overwhelmed than they are. A vaccine won’t happen until sometime next year.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Sorry your city is going through so much right now.

I've watched the news a lot (CNN) & things seem horrible. Is the news painting an accurate picture from what's really going on? I'd rather ask people who live there than the media. Both right & left news agencies have their agendas.
I already know people who died of Coronavirus in NYC. I also know people who work in healthcare. Yes, it’s that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.