Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 05:23 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I have been using my building's laundry room during this time. The maintenance staff has visibly stepped up their efforts to keep things disinfected during this time. I just get in, get out, don't hang out in there, and wash my hands after each trip back up to my apartment.
The maintenance staff in my building have also stepped up their efforts to keep the elevator clean as well.

Usually I wash my hands even after just going down the hall to get rid of recycling and garbage as I have to touch handles of the little door of the broom closet room (to put the recycling on a shelf or large washroom style sink) and the chute door if I am throwing a garbage down it.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:40 AM

6,441 posts, read 3,143,427 times
For all of you criticizing the President for not closing the borders sooner, it's like criticizing the President in 1941, for not realizing sooner that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbor. Some things just happen without warning, and therefore your attention should shift to what the leader's reaction to the crisis is.

Cuomo has been "grandstanding" a LOT, lately, trying to get help for New York City, as there is a tremendous need, there. And many people are applauding him for it. HOWEVER, in reality, he's scrambling like crazy, trying to cover his azz, since he ignored the warnings about not having ventilators on hand, in case of a crisis, 4-5 years ago. There was some money, back then, to purchase them, but he squandered the money on some solar panel deal that fell apart. But you don't hear too much about it.....

On the other hand, while Cuomo, someone who was in charge of NY, and should have known better, doesn't get criticized, as everyone is all over Trump. But why??? 4-5 years ago, Trump was NOT the Governor of NY, or NOT the President of the US, therefore this lack of preparedness had yet to be an issue on his radar. Many others failed us, yet Trump has had to shoulder the blame, and do his best to get us out of this calamity that has befallen us.

And for all of you wonderful liberals, who like to play the blame game, what was your heroine, "Queen Nancy" doing while this storm was approaching our horizon? And what was her "henchman", and supposed member of an "intelligence committee", Adam Schiff doing, during the same time?? They were WAY too busy wasting time, and MILLIONS of taxpayer dollars, unsuccessfully trying to impeach the President. And even as this tragedy is continuing to unfold, they're attempting, the best that they can, to blow it off, while planning "Impeachment 2.0". Yeah, they sure are concerned about the welfare of America, and it's citizens......

Old 04-04-2020, 06:08 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
^ Exceptionally well stated. If only I could rep you 1 million times.

Furthermore, why didn’t Pelosi and Schiff investigate and impeach Obama in 2009 when he waited 6 months!! before doing anything about the H1N1 virus that ended up killing over 10,000 Americans?

Old 04-04-2020, 06:17 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
And where was leoliu to express his outrage over and over again back then? Were those 10,000 American lives back then less important?

Old 04-04-2020, 06:47 AM

1,566 posts, read 905,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Ironically, Putin and Kim are among the competent leaders in managing this crisis by promptly closing their borders with China.
I hear Kim runs a pretty tight ship over there, Coronavirus cases keep fluctuating between 1 and 0.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,213 times
I see some comments for blaming Trump for not acting soon enough but democrats
called hiom racist for doing so.

Democratic presidential contender senile Joe Biden led the way, quickly attacking what he called Trump's "record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering" after the travel restrictions were announced, and arguing that Trump "is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."

Old 04-04-2020, 07:00 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
If this keeps going off topic into national political issues, I’m just going to close it and delete all virus talk on the NYC forum.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-04-2020, 07:17 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
As we were speaking, some hospitals adopt a system to rank covid patients for treatment...

With the peak of Covid-19 infections still ahead and medical supplies still scarce, hospitals and physicians are gearing up for a nearly impossible challenge: deciding who gets a life-saving ventilator and who doesn't.

The thing is that ventilators are not life-saving for patients with severe coronavirus infection. If you randomized the patients with coronavirus-caused respiratory failure into those who get on a ventilator and those who don't (and the shortage of ventilators would be the perfect reason for such a study), I doubt you would get a significantly better survival in the ventilator group.

Btw, ranking of patients for treatment (or triage) is a normal procedure in military medicine in combat areas.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:25 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The thing is that ventilators are not life-saving for patients with severe coronavirus infection. If you randomized the patients with coronavirus-caused respiratory failure into those who get on a ventilator and those who don't (and the shortage of ventilators would be the perfect reason for such a study), I doubt you would get a significantly better survival in the ventilator group.

Btw, ranking of patients for treatment (or triage) is a normal procedure in military medicine in combat areas.

Yes, there is observational data at multiple scales suggesting the high mortality rate of covid patients on ventilators.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:30 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
It is nonsensical to try to make an epidemic into a political issue. Regardless whether a particular government is conservative or liberal, it is obviously acting substantially same in this situation, because it is acting on the same medical and epidemiologic advice. I have no idea what you guys are trying to argue politically on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.