Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

I've basically priced in getting this thing. In the end, I think it's no inevitable that most of us will. I think, short of a vaccine, the only way it's going to go away is if we get it, clear it, and develop immunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You know all this talk about defying shelter in place may make some of you feel a certain kind of way, but do you all know for a fact that you aren't infected ? You may not be displaying infection but may be carrying it. So why would you want to spread it ? It's not only about you.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
You know all this talk about defying shelter in place may make some of you feel a certain kind of way, but do you all know for a fact that you aren't infected ? You may not be displaying infection but may be carrying it. So why would you want to spread it ? It's not only about you.
I have been going to get takeout, grocery stores, and merchandise stores and I am not going to stop no matter what that idiot moron DeBozo says. Doesn't mean I am infecting anybody, on top of not having any symptoms I am doing the social distancing thing keep away from everyone, not touching poles and doorknobs, and sanitizing hands regularly

Old 03-17-2020, 04:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
As a reminder:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.

Strangely I don't remember this type of lock down
It's probably because of how much of an unknown this is, so there's a greater possibility of overreaction. You won't know if you are overreacting or underreacting if you don't know to the extent of its spread or its effects.

Shutdowns seem to me like a blunt force instrument to simply halt things for a bit. You'd rather do some more precision targeting, and that might be possible if there was actually intensive testing early on and a ready supply of tests. South Korea would be an example of a government that didn't shut much down except for very large gatherings and travel restrictions. They also postponed quite a few things like the start of school while they got ready to deal with things--they essentially bought themselves a bit of time and used it to get prepared and slow the rate of transmission until they were prepared. What the South Korean government ended up doing was keeping most things open and doing short postponements for some things, and then rolled out a massive number of checkpoints and tests available, had very clear communication from their federal government on what the dangers and precautions were very early on which they consistently updated, and relied on a large coordinated national healthcare system that was equipped to deal with this quickly.

There was one exception which was the city of Daegu which got hit with a bit more restrictions, but that was due to a secretive church that ended up spreading the disease around quite a bit in the city which actively encouraged its followers to buck the rules and avoid getting tested even when they showed symptoms. I don't read Korean, but I get bits of it from Korean friends who do, and apparently the general sentiment has been people are super pissed about that church.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-17-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 04:55 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I have been going to get takeout, grocery stores, and merchandise stores and I am not going to stop no matter what that idiot moron DeBozo says. Doesn't mean I am infecting anybody, on top of not having any symptoms I am doing the social distancing thing keep away from everyone, not touching poles and doorknobs, and sanitizing hands regularly
What your talking about is what everyone is doing in a daily course of life and is not defying any ordinance proposed.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I've basically priced in getting this thing. In the end, I think it's no inevitable that most of us will. I think, short of a vaccine, the only way it's going to go away is if we get it, clear it, and develop immunity.
I heard this type of logic in the 80s when some men were told to avoid high risk sexual behavior and willfully refused to have safe sex. It's willful, selfish, immature, and stupid. This thing has you scared and you compensate by acting tough.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:01 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
What your talking about is what everyone is doing in a daily course of life and is not defying any ordinance proposed.
oh really? Fearless leader Comrade Bozo is planning to tell everyone they have to stay inside:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/new-...asio-says.html

Old 03-17-2020, 05:01 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There are examples of countries that have bucked that trend and have had their rate of recovery far outpace their rate of transmission pretty rapidly. There isn't a necessity to drive things off the cliff, especially if there's been decent evidence in other countries that there are other ways to manage this, and especially if it's true that it does not transmit as easily once the weather gets warmer.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:03 PM

874 posts, read 454,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
How many times do they clean the bike?

It is out in the open. People sneezing, farting, coughing, spitting..People with dirty hands, carrying all random stuff.
hey yu.... ()

...and that's exactly what the government lets in here....(especially from china)..........

Old 03-17-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
oh really? Fearless leader Comrade Bozo is planning to tell everyone they have to stay inside:

Geezus, let your ideology or political biases effect your health or the health of someone else. Way to go.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:

The article mentions that state approval is required and the Governor has no intentions of approving it FYI

It's in the article

Either way you have no control over what happens

Wash your hands and stay clean

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City