Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:58 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I walked by a salon yesterday and it was open and was surprised by this. Saw no clients at all. The job requires direct personal contact. Not the time for this service. Grocery stores closing will be concerning. How will those who run out of food survive? This is bound to cause some level of civil unrest if things go that far. All quiet now but theres a tipping point for everything.
De Blasio has been saying they need to figure out how to get food and medicine to people in a shelter in place order. While Cuomo has said that won’t happen, he could always say things changed and they have to close grocery stores while not calling it a shelter in place. In this environment, anything seems possible. Supermarkets are the mass gathering places now. Today I went by Stop and Shop during its seniors-only hour and it looked like hundreds of cars were in the parking lot. I don’t think they were all seniors.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:01 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, apparently we get a lot of diseases from warm-blooded animals such as mammals and birds whether wild or domesticated. One of the large fears about the farming system in the US has been the unsanitary conditions the animals are kept in and then the massive amount of antibiotics they are fed in order to keep them from incubating diseases. The antibiotics part sounds good for a bit, but the actual fear behind that is that you're making many, many rolls of the die with that many creatures that quickly and at some point something will evolve that is immune to even a stiff cocktail of antibiotics and you are screwed.

Plus, you can engineer that lab meat to already be bbq-sauce flavored.

Def. But we buy the occasional prepared duck meat from a town in Quebec that is famous for its Brome Lake Duck. I did read that because the wild ducks are not confined like chickens and are devoid of meds, they won't develop bacteria if left on the counter the way raised fowl would.

Chickens are pretty low in the chain, I mean they can't fly, all they do is make weird noises and lay eggs.

Ducks are incredibly tough.

I watch them fishing in the rapids close to my house, they swim against the current, defy arctic temperatures, fly against the wind at breakneck speed; awesome.

That said, I won't be eating any lab-made meat, not buying stocks in that industry either. Plenty of protein to be had elsewhere.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:16 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I walked by a salon yesterday and it was open and was surprised by this. Saw no clients at all. The job requires direct personal contact. Not the time for this service. Grocery stores closing will be concerning. How will those who run out of food survive? This is bound to cause some level of civil unrest if things go that far. All quiet now but there's a tipping point for everything.
I agree. On a rational level, yes, staying healthy is critical, but what are we going to do, let our hair grow to the middle of our backs, if this situation lasts 4-5 months? Secondly, given the financial losses incurred by the barbers/beauticians, how many of them will come back to work? How many of the shops would be able to somehow or other, be able to maintanl their locations, in there's no income to keep the rent paid up?

Same with restaurants, and other service oriented businesses that rent the space they operate in. Both my wife and I, due to some minor skin conditions, regularly see a dermatologist for treatment. My wife happened to visit this doctor, last week, and asked her what her outlook was. She (the dermatologist) said that if she had to close down for 2-3 weeks, it would be very difficult, financially, for her. Her dermatology practice and facial spa have a number of employees, as well as a fairly large "footprint" in a commercial building, hence a high operating overhead.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Maybe gas stations, banks, and grocery stores will be closed later on.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...3au-story.html
I don't think so. These are essentials. Especially banks for the elderly who are not tech savvy and do not know anyone that is. Senior centers are closed so it's not like they can depend on them anymore. This is not a good time to be elderly. And not know anyone.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:21 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
You guys should actually watch his briefings. Grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, gas stations, all utilities, ESSENTIAL services will remain open.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Cuomo is on TV now saying the rules for those over 70 and people with illnesses are that they must remain indoors but can go out for exercise. That sounds like a shelter in place order for them.

Cuomo is saying these aren’t suggestions, they will be enforced, including new rules for the non vulnerable population.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:23 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Yeah, watching NY1 now. Cuomo's on. Listen up.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:31 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Cuomo just ordered all barbershops and hair salons to close tomorrow. Maybe he is not going to call it shelter in place but he’s closing things one by one. Maybe gas stations, banks, and grocery stores will be closed later on.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...3au-story.html
Afro-city coming up

Old 03-20-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The governor announced strict rules for people over 70 and with underlying illnesses, allowing them to go outside only for solitary exercise, requiring them to wear masks when in the company of others and barring them from visiting households with multiple people, among other requirements.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/n...rk-update.html

So what do 70 year olds and over do for food?

Old 03-20-2020, 09:34 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/n...rk-update.html

So what do 70 year olds and over do for food?
They go to the grocery store just like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City