Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
SI has been 2nd or 3rd in per-capita over the past week. 5.80% of the current NYC cases are on SI which is in line with our 5.67% of the NYC population. I also think the Brooklyn numbers are low. I'm saying that the fewer cases per square mile the better because the infected and everyone else are more spread out.
Yea, but density stats among boroughs aren’t correlating very well with the likelihood of infection. I think if you wanted to argue such, then those stats don’t really support what you’re saying.

Places with more people, correlating with density, are likely to have more cases, but it’s not yet known if the per capita rate will be higher. Obviously, if you’re homesteading with absolutely no contact with others and far secluded from everyone, then I don’t expect that to be high, but that’s not most people. There’s a question of whether in the US, this will be a primarily Tri-State Area thing or not—given the characteristics of this virus and the slow adoption of testing for most parts of the country (NYC / NYS spun up their own efforts because the federal response was slow), there’s a good chance that it is not, with NYC and the Tri-State Area being the most evident early case because its density means you see the rise in cases faster and much more quickly distinguishable from noise.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:35 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Have either of you been confined to your room for over a month? Have you or any family member been in jail before? I can tell by your comments that you likely have not. What you are asking is akin to solitary confinement, which psychologists have long been stating the negative mental impacts such a thing has on the people it's imposed upon.

The 'good boys' and 'good girls' in jails and prisons are the least of my concerns right now.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
the weak point in densely populated areas are elevators

Old 03-29-2020, 08:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
They should keep prisoners strictly in their cells and deliver food to the cells. The corrections officers should wear masks and use hand disinfectant. Those measures are simple, cheap and effective. If somebody's cellmate gets sick, the other cellmate has obviously already been exposed too, so no point in moving him elsewhere.
Yes, the corrections officers should wear masks. Unfortunately, there’s a shortage of mask as other at risk employees such as hospital staff don’t have enough masks either. Or policeman, three of whom have already died.

This was an epic failure of governments to take this seriously and mow we have economic destruction and social dissolution.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
All of whom should have been wearing masks and gloves since mid February. Another governmental failure.
Exactly! Total failure to protect first responders.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:03 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Jimmy Dolan, owner of the Knicks and Rangers, tests positive for coronavirus without currently showing any symptoms:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rus/index.html
Great, another vip who gets tested with no symptoms while nurses on the front line can't.
Warning to all: when the vaccine comes it will be this same(v.i.p) subset who gets the vaccine first and long before anyone else.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Right now testing is meaningless -................

This outrage about testing at this point is ridiculous. Act responsibly and quite whining.
Don't be ridiculous. Testing is providing facts, the only facts we have. And it's a form of information that can't be controlled.
What you are saying above is that facts are meaningless, don't bother with the facts.

If we don't have access to and face the facts we are in real trouble.

As sergeant Friday used to say, "just the facts m'am.All we want are the facts."

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-29-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, the corrections officers should wear masks. Unfortunately, there’s a shortage of mask as other at risk employees such as hospital staff don’t have enough masks either. Or policeman, three of whom have already died.

This was an epic failure of governments to take this seriously and mow we have economic destruction and social dissolution.

You can tie a scarf across your face, you can make your own mask with a cotton handkerchief and wash it every evening. A simple mask is not a particularly spohisticated item, and it does not require a rocket scientist to improvise it. It is a poor form of protection from a respiratory virus when used by itself, without disinfectants and maintaining distance/lack of physical contact. It does not protect the wearer from anything, it just reduces the viral load that you spew around when you talk, caugh and sneeze. It has some value (probably the least valuable item in this whole story, with the exception of maybe a ventilator :-), but is mostly convenient for scapegoating the "governments". The danger from releasing prisoners out free seems very substantially greater than the danger from not having commercial paper masks (when anyone can make their own simple masks). Aerosol masks are nearly impossible to wear for a long time (I wore them for a week in a hospital, two weeks ago, and had a killer headache from the tight rubber straps for another week) - the pain is not feasible for the small improvement in effect over a juryrigged folded handkerchief with two ribbons sown on it.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:26 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
I see a lot of people wearing masks in cars. Do they think the virus is everywhere in the air even without people around, or is it just easier than taking it on and off?

Old 03-29-2020, 09:37 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Why is it masks are in such short supply? I mean, how many steps in production, how difficult is it to source materials for these things?
I have 4 3M respirators for spray painting, and those are silicon molded with a plastic vent, fairly straightforward.

The US landed Lance Armstrong on the moon and can't produce paper face masks?

What would Thomas Edison, AG Bell and George Westinghouse have said about this situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City