Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:40 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Why is it masks are in such short supply? I mean, how many steps in production, how difficult is it to source materials for these things?
I have 4 3M respirators for spray painting, and those are silicon molded with a plastic vent, fairly straightforward.

The US landed Lance Armstrong on the moon and can't produce paper face masks?

What would Thomas Edison, AG Bell and George Westinghouse have said about this situation?
There strong global demand for masks they can’t keep up

Old 03-29-2020, 09:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
You can tie a scarf across your face, you can make your own mask with a cotton handkerchief and wash it every evening. A simple mask is not a particularly spohisticated item, and it does not require a rocket scientist to improvise it. It is a poor form of protection from a respiratory virus when used by itself, without disinfectants and maintaining distance/lack of physical contact. It does not protect the wearer from anything, it just reduces the viral load that you spew around when you talk, caugh and sneeze. It has some value (probably the least valuable item in this whole story, with the exception of maybe a ventilator :-), but is mostly convenient for scapegoating the "governments". The danger from releasing prisoners out free seems very substantially greater than the danger from not having commercial paper masks (when anyone can make their own simple masks). Aerosol masks are nearly impossible to wear for a long time (I wore them for a week in a hospital, two weeks ago, and had a killer headache from the tight rubber straps for another week) - the pain is not feasible for the small improvement in effect over a juryrigged folded handkerchief with two ribbons sown on it.
I just got one of these on the recommendation of a friend from the Middle East who said they are particularly good in the desert at keeping fine dust particles out.

If you watch the video, start at 1:17 to learn how to tie properly (doesn't have to go over your head like in the first video)

They are available on Amazon. I got mine in 2 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6VVMA5prdc&t=129s

Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The China Virus may be the end of the progressives endless wailing about how 'population density is better for the environment'.
The worldwide pandemic is the end of both progressive nonsense and the globalists. Open borders, over. Unrestricted migration, over. Globalization at the expense of domestic production, over.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:21 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Why is it masks are in such short supply? I mean, how many steps in production, how difficult is it to source materials for these things?
I have 4 3M respirators for spray painting, and those are silicon molded with a plastic vent, fairly straightforward.

What would Thomas Edison, AG Bell and George Westinghouse have said about this situation?
Because you're overlooking the fact that there are different masks, designed to filter out different substances. They're NOT a "one size fits all", or should I say, "one mask filters all" type of device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
There strong global demand for masks they can’t keep up
Yup. Along the same line, why can't I buy any disinfectant wipes?? My local store has been out of stock for 3 weeks!!

Old 03-29-2020, 10:27 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Great, another vip who gets tested with no symptoms while nurses on the front line can't.
Warning to all: when the vaccine comes it will be this same(v.i.p) subset who gets the vaccine first and long before anyone else.
Shocking, isn't it?

Old 03-29-2020, 10:38 AM

3,746 posts, read 1,441,196 times
I expect the United States to reach half a million or more infected by the end of April. So far globally 700k are infected. Right now I'm waiting for Mexico numbers to take off.

So far deaths are around 30k.i expect by the end of April deaths to reach 50k to 60k globally. By the beginning fo summer coronavirus will claim about 100k victims.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:47 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,091 times
The fact is Gov Cuomo was offered but refused to buy respirators in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and today. Today he claims he can't afford them? It is obviously Cuomo's fault the city is in trouble with respirators. All Cuomo can do is pontificate!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:03 AM

5,665 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Lock down extended till at least April 15th.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:10 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Default Virus Strains

Interesting. Constant testing has revealed that there are at least 8 different strains of the corona virus circulating around the world and the strain prevalent all along the East Coast actually came by way of Europe while the strain prevalent on the West Coast came directly from China.
So when we closed the front door to China at the beginning it did little good because we left the back door open and the virus just came in through the back door.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/29/at-lea...oss-the-globe/

Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
3M stepped up their production in the US to a billion a year, and that was before the crisis really began here (they read the tea leaves from China.) They were starting up another plant in RI I think. We should be able to make enough of these, but it isn't like flipping a light switch. I would think the other simple stuff (gowns etc.) should be the same.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City