Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 09:22 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Thank God! I was scared the numbers were going to be worse than the seasonal flu!
Well, pretty likely it would have been without having taken drastic measures. I can definitely see idiots coming back out saying “I told you it was just a flu” while ignoring the effects of the large steps that were taken to keep the death count lower. I can also imagine religious nuts claiming credit for the save. It’s all going to be a big dumb circus.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:42 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Hopefully, by April 30th we can start re-opening NYC
Yeah. That would be nice.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:45 AM

62 posts, read 36,832 times
This situation is pretty cool. You get to see "people" for their true colors and the self-preseving reptilians they are.

None of you are really socially responsible or considerate of others existence. You only care for others to stay inside and keep their distance so that you and your family dont contract Corona virus. You have no concern for the homeless dudes in times square starving inbetween door ways in the theater district around 44th street and broadway. You dont care to do anything tangible about thousands of people gathering at funerals in Brooklyn, nor will you do anything to make sure they cannot put others at risk in the future. You only care about others so much as it doesnt affect you.
When your tax returns come in this month, in this democratic nation, are you going to buy thousands of masks, gloves and ventilators for "essential" workers? Or are you going to wait this out and buy the latest Samsung phone tablet device?

You only care so much about peoples lives that it diesnt comprise your well being, how thoughtful.

Traffic agents are still handing out tickets.
Liquor stores are still open.
Police are still arresting people while not adhering to the same "rules" put forth by the Governor.
Celebrities are making music videos in their 20 room mansion talking about depression or anxiety..

This thing is so bonkers, liars.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think this is one of the big reasons our "peak" is not as bad as feared.... at least not as of yet. People dying under the radar.

Also, it is beginning to become clear how many infected NY'ers escaped the city as hospitals in all of the areas popular for NYC resident's second homes have been swamped... Cape Cod,R.I and Ct coasts, The Berkshires, Litchfield County, Jersey Shore.......all inundated with NY'ers who could have wound up in NYC hospitals.
Good for us that they left.....bad for the places they went to.
Yes, I also noticed that the number of cases (which I think is a totally inaccurate measure but whatever) is much lower in Manhattan than Queens and Brooklyn. That could easily be because in outer boroughs there's significantly more poverty and people living in severely crowded conditions, and people who cant work from home due to doing jobs like delivery, cleaning, etc. but it could also be because Manhattan emptied out due to all those well off people heading to second homes, as you mentioned.

I live in Queens and do know some people in my area who left to go elsewhere, but I'm sure the percentage who did that is much higher in Manhattan.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
my routine is watching Cuomo's and Trumps briefings w/Fauci.

I don't care for DeBlasio's talks.
Cuomo was scheduled to come on at 11:30 but because of Deblasio's attention grab it's been pushed to 12:30. This "talk" was all about Deblasio wanting to steal Cuomo's thunder. Juvenile.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldCareLess View Post
This situation is pretty cool. You get to see "people" for their true colors and the self-preseving reptilians they are.

None of you are really socially responsible or considerate of others existence. You only care for others to stay inside and keep their distance so that you and your family dont contract Corona virus. You have no concern for the homeless dudes in times square starving inbetween door ways in the theater district around 44th street and broadway. You dont care to do anything tangible about thousands of people gathering at funerals in Brooklyn, nor will you do anything to make sure they cannot put others at risk in the future. You only care about others so much as it doesnt affect you.
When your tax returns come in this month, in this democratic nation, are you going to buy thousands of masks, gloves and ventilators for "essential" workers? Or are you going to wait this out and buy the latest Samsung phone tablet device?

You only care so much about peoples lives that it diesnt comprise your well being, how thoughtful.

Police are still arresting people while not adhering to the same "rules" put forth by the Governor.
Celebrities are making music videos in their 20 room mansion talking about depression or anxiety..

Most of what you wrote is gibberish, but I will address one point you made that "You only care for others to stay inside and keep their distance so that you and your family dont contract Corona virus. "

Actually one of the most important reasons people are staying inside and being told to stay inside is so that they don't infect others. So staying inside is not an act of selfishness, it's an act of selflessness (considering not only oneself but the community at large) as well.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Cuomo was scheduled to come on at 11:30 but because of Deblasio's attention grab it's been pushed to 12:30. This "talk" was all about Deblasio wanting to steal Cuomo's thunder. Juvenile.
Oh wow, is that what happened? So ridiculous.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:08 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Most of what you wrote is gibberish, but I will address one point you made that "You only care for others to stay inside and keep their distance so that you and your family dont contract Corona virus. "

Actually one of the most important reasons people are staying inside and being told to stay inside is so that they don't infect others. So staying inside is not an act of selfishness, it's an act of selflessness (considering not only oneself but the community at large) as well.
Seriously. Thanks, Henna.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Oh wow, is that what happened? So ridiculous.
Yeah but none of the major news cable networks (MSNBC, CNN) carried it as they will for Cuomo so it was probably all for naught.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:13 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouldCareLess View Post

Nice rant, but so? Why should I care about "the homeless dudes in times square"?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City