Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 12:24 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

That's not the point. The Chinese are saying they have it under control. But that's a fraud. All they're likely controlling is the information flow. I'm betting they're still taking lots of virus casualties. They're just suppressing the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3333 View Post
you will be an idiot to believe that US is handling better than China. The government there can order people to stay home, but in US, governments are a lot weaker. Here in NYC, the epicenter of the epicenter, there are crowds of people in parks, on the street, and i just have a neighbor, who is hosting party every other day.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:25 PM

They admitted that. The numbers they released were the people who had tested positive and died in hospitals. But they've stopped releasing even those numbers.

Quote:
The death toll number in NYC is fake. the fire department is saying people are dying at home at multiple rates than what is normal

Old 04-14-2020, 12:35 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
you will be an idiot to believe that US is handling better than China. The government there can order people to stay home, but in US, governments are a lot weaker. Here in NYC, the epicenter of the epicenter, there are crowds of people in parks, on the street, and i just have a neighbor, who is hosting party every other day.
Thanks to our constitution. We are free and cannot be locked in our homes against our will.

In China on the other hand, they were literally locking people in their homes.

Some people here feel that maybe they would be better off in China maybe?

Old 04-14-2020, 12:57 PM

494 posts, read 557,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They admitted that. The numbers they released were the people who had tested positive and died in hospitals. But they've stopped releasing even those numbers.
What makes you think they stopped releasing the numbers of people who tested positive and died in the hospital?

Old 04-14-2020, 01:04 PM

This is the last report they released. Up until this one, they were releasing two a day. Maybe it's just a bureaucratic thing (person doing it out sick?), but they've been reliable about this up until now.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...04122020-2.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
What makes you think they stopped releasing the numbers of people who tested positive and died in the hospital?

Old 04-14-2020, 01:07 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1MdGfv-W9E

Donald Trump claims ‘total authority’ in fiery coronavirus press conference, Cuomo responds

Old 04-14-2020, 01:11 PM

Protests starting to fire up around the country calling for an end to the lockdowns. I talked about this before. When will it start here?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cor...otests-economy

Old 04-14-2020, 01:32 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Protests starting to fire up around the country calling for an end to the lockdowns. I talked about this before. When will it start here?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cor...otests-economy
So they're ok with lifting the lockdown? Even though the health scientists think it's too early? WHat are they asking for?

They claim to be 'healthy' but isn't that the problem, in terms of asymptomatic spread?

Still, 15k cars sounds impressive. I wanna see that

Old 04-14-2020, 02:54 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
China seems to handle this crisis much better than the US or Europe. The death toll on a per capita basis is much much lower than western democracies, and the hit to economy seems to be much lower as well

i bet the approval rating for CCP among the chinese is now thru the roof
China's government badly mishandled the early beginning stages (again, in my opinion, due to the way their government is structured), so I don't really think giving them much credit overall is such a reasonable thing to do. Their death tolls on a per capita basis, or their numbers in general, are a little bit suspect given the source, maybe not orders of magnitude off, but still, it's not easy to say things definitively. Given that, it's possible that quite a few countries with functioning democracies and a leadership that isn't constantly congratulating itself are in reality dealing with the crisis better on the deaths per capita basis.

Approval ratings for the CCP is virtually 100% all the time. Guess who's manning the polls?

Quote:
That's not the point. The Chinese are saying they have it under control. But that's a fraud. All they're likely controlling is the information flow. I'm betting they're still taking lots of virus casualties. They're just suppressing the news.
I'm sure they're suppressing the news, but that also doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have it under control to a large extent. They implemented some swift measures once it seemed apparent what was happening to national-level officials and they really geared their manufacturing and research base towards controlling things soon after. I do think it's very possible that the numbers are off though, especially things like the initial death toll, but I think it's unlikely to be orders of magnitude off. Maybe one order of magnitude. I say that, because I know people living there with no relation to the CCP and they've been out and about and telling me about the measures being implemented for months now which seem pretty reasonable in the sense that those would probably control community spread and help do contact tracing so I'm prone to believe that their recent casualties probably aren't being adjusted very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Thanks to our constitution. We are free and cannot be locked in our homes against our will.

In China on the other hand, they were literally locking people in their homes.

Some people here feel that maybe they would be better off in China maybe?
There are countries that are not authoritarian and have dealt with this better. The US and China are big countries, but it's not like either one has a lockdown on the best way of doing anything. Also, for the most part as in the vast, vast majority of people in China, people were not literally locked in their homes.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-14-2020 at 03:14 PM..

Old 04-14-2020, 02:58 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
people were not literally locked in their homes.
I beg to differ

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1703503427818
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City