Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 11:32 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times

Advertisements

It dawned on me a little while ago that Airborne's user name has taken on new meaning .

Old 04-15-2020, 11:34 AM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
Seems like there's not a penalty for violating at least.

Not yet.
Useless, unless the homeless people taking up seats on the trains have to wear them too

Meaning as in a certain segment of the population will be exempt

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-15-2020, 11:41 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
As long as the weather is on the cool side, wearing a mask is no biggie but...
when it's above 85 degrees, blazing hot and humid?

I'll wear one but not too happily...just being honest.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are countries with functioning democracies with a free press and an economy working under free market principles that are essentially back open for business or never closed to the extent the US is and that's without a vaccine.
I advocate for doing this but for the US I cannot recommend because of large obesity rate, diabetes, heart disease, etc. It will be suicide if we adopt herd immunity and allow the virus to spread even greater.

The best thing the FDA should work on is having an OTC or prescription take home remedy. Like chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine which can help prevent ARDS if used on the early stage of infection before your lung suffers.

But due to the incompetency of the FDA + CDC, they are allowing more people die than letting people have the drugs easier. In Asia or Latin America, you can easily fetch hydroxychloroquine for $6 a pack. People in South East Asia have homes well stocked of hydroxychloroquine due to malaria being prevalent.

You bet the FDA and CDC is owned by the big pharma drug cartels because they will only recommend a vaccine for COVID19. They won't endorse any solution that is too cheap and too effective. All drug companies want subscription based drugs and vaccines they do not want a $6/fix. We will need annual COVID19 booster shots as the drug companies designate the effectiveness.

This is why I don't get annual flushots, it's worthless. You need to boost your immune system so you can survive such times.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:03 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I advocate for doing this but for the US I cannot recommend because of large obesity rate, diabetes, heart disease, etc. It will be suicide if we adopt herd immunity and allow the virus to spread even greater.

The best thing the FDA should work on is having an OTC or prescription take home remedy. Like chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine which can help prevent ARDS if used on the early stage of infection before your lung suffers.

But due to the incompetency of the FDA + CDC, they are allowing more people die than letting people have the drugs easier. In Asia or Latin America, you can easily fetch hydroxychloroquine for $6 a pack. People in South East Asia have homes well stocked of hydroxychloroquine due to malaria being prevalent.

You bet the FDA and CDC is owned by the big pharma drug cartels because they will only recommend a vaccine for COVID19. They won't endorse any solution that is too cheap and too effective. All drug companies want subscription based drugs and vaccines they do not want a $6/fix. We will need annual COVID19 booster shots as the drug companies designate the effectiveness.

This is why I don't get annual flushots, it's worthless. You need to boost your immune system so you can survive such times.
That's not what I'm talking about. I do not at all think that just opening everything back up immediately or to have not done a lockdown at all is a good idea though I think we might be reaching the point, provided we can guarantee ample and readily available testing and the trends we're seeing now continue, for much lighter restrictions in the near future.

I'm talking about countries that have dealt with it well by having a lot of testing early on, an actual pandemic preparedness plan and coordinating agency and were thus being able to track the spread and manage this pandemic better. We couldn't do it early on, because the early response was terribly bungled and the US was unprepared in general which meant community spread in a way that was near impossible to trace. On top of that, we had a lot of mixed messaging early on from higher up and a good cadre of idiotic parrots on the ground who've probably already birdbrained out memories of having done so. The lockdown is essentially trying to address that spread with a blunt force instrument and it should in a somewhat short time frame basically reset things so that flareups will be something that can be easily tracked provided there is ample readily available testing and that people continue with some of the general guidelines like trying to wear masks, covering up when sneezing, and constantly washing one's hands. The hope is that the lockdown gets us to that reset where there's not an ongoing massive community spread that's impossible to track.

I strongly disagree with your assessment of flu shots--I'm pretty sure what you're saying there is generally not strongly backed by reputable studies. Hydroxychloroquine is a different can of worms entirely which I've mentioned in other posts.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-15-2020 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 12:15 PM

874 posts, read 454,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

"He also echo'd what I said yesterday that a Vaccine is still 12-18 months away but there
will be other treatments soon that will help tremendously for us to get back to a "new normal"
sooner until a vaccine is ready. Antibody testing, Plasma, Hydrochloroquine all mentioned
as possibilities by the governor."

Don't rush it. it can't be rushed. (THE: let's all get back to work- )......

we have a new norm now, (because of the monkey wrench thrown into the works)....

Yesterday - outside -- you would think nothing is going on (around town & around the world).

not a care in the world folk. People jogging in pairs & three’s, right next to each other & no masks.

Young millenials power walking and/or walking their dog – no mask, no social distancing.

Candy store owner/worker – no masks.

Others being ‘inconsiderate/thoughtless/defiant’ in the middle of a disease pandemic.

- Mother/father & baby in carriage walking along, no masks and the 2 yr old was holding & nibbling on a donut bigger than her hand…

...Is it that these people are truly in the dark about "what’s been going on?" Or, are they so
belligerent, COLD, and defiant that they TRULY ARE horrible people ?

It was pretty disturbing.

Wait until next year – March/April 2021 ....hope this deadly disease is more manageable by then.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:38 PM

874 posts, read 454,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

"I am curious why people chose to pay a hefty price tag for studying history for four years at an overrated Ivy League...

Can’t one just read historical matters on their own?"

you would think that....

Old 04-15-2020, 01:07 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
As long as the weather is on the cool side, wearing a mask is no biggie but...
when it's above 85 degrees, blazing hot and humid?

I'll wear one but not too happily...just being honest.
I wear glasses and the mask fogs up my glasses no matter how I wear it.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:29 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,463,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I wear glasses and the mask fogs up my glasses no matter how I wear it.
Clean your glasses with saving cream

Old 04-15-2020, 01:34 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Clean your glasses with shaving cream
Never heard that but I’ll try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.