Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:25 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times

Advertisements

The Chinese have way too many diseases like this new crap. Travel ban should be in place.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:32 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...IrlbyHk1svyW3w

Five patients in New York state were being tested for possibly contracting the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office confirmed Monday.

According to state Department of Health officials, five people in New York were being isolated and under observation as their cases were referred for testing at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Four other New Yorkers tested were deemed to have not contacted the virus.

As of Monday afternoon, officials in New York had not confirmed anyone contracting coronavirus in the state.

State officials say the risk of contraction in New York is low, but they urge caution in the wake of the flu-like virus that has killed 81 people in China and infected 2,750.

With New York City being home to the largest Chinese population outside of China, and as travel increases ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations, officials asked New Yorkers to be extra cautious.

"We are asking New Yorkers to do is that is if they have traveled to Wuhan in the last 14 days, and they find themselves with symptoms of fever and a cough or shortness of breath, that they contact their provider and share this information," Dr. Oxiris Barbot, New York City's health commissioner, said Friday.

Symptoms of the virus include:

Runny nose
Headache
Cough
Sore throat
Fever
The virus can also cause wheezing and pneumonia. It is a member of the coronavirus family that's a close cousin to the deadly SARS and MERS viruses that have caused outbreaks in the past.

The spread of the illness is being watched around the globe, with a small number of cases appearing in other countries. South Korea confirmed its fourth case Monday. Cases also have been confirmed in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, the U.S., Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Nepal, France, Canada, and Australia.

The U.S. cases are in Washington state, Chicago, southern California, and Arizona.

China on Monday expanded its sweeping efforts to contain a deadly virus, extending the Lunar New Year holiday to keep the public at home and avoid spreading infection as the death toll rose to 81.

Mongolia closed its vast border with China, and Hong Kong and Malaysia announced they would bar entry to visitors from the Chinese province at the center of the outbreak following a warning by medical officials that the virus's ability to spread was growing. Travel agencies were ordered to cancel group tours nationwide, adding to the rising economic losses.

Stock markets around the world were down sharply Monday as the lockdown in Chinese cities was expected to stifle travel, shopping and business for millions of people. Though markets in much of Asia, including China, were closed for the Lunar New Year, they slumped more than 2 percent in Japan and across Europe. Wall Street was expected to drop on the open and the international price of oil was down a sharp 4 percent.

China's increasingly drastic containment efforts began with the January 22 suspension of plane, train and bus links to Wuhan, a city of 11 million people in central China where the virus was first detected last month. That lockdown has expanded to 17 cities with more than 50 million people in the most far-reaching disease-control measures ever imposed.

The virus is thought to have spread to people from wild animals sold at a market in Wuhan. On Sunday, authorities banned trade in wild animals and urged people to stop eating meat from them.

Last edited by Aeran; 01-27-2020 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2020, 03:59 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Opinion:
Theses viruses can be linked back to bats. They live in caves,wooded areas,sides of cliffs and homes in many countryside.
They are key and part of the ecology. They eat the bugs that carry diseases keeping other species of animals safe including us.
They dump their diseases in their poop to the grounds below. It's up to theses dang farmers to keep their chattle away from it. Bat poop is not a food source dang it. First it was bovian,then avain, then SARS, now Corona. Farming in the Unites States is more controlled than other countries. You can't sell me any food item that comes from China. I learned the hard way with our dogs and that dang antifreeze incident. Dogfood was mixed with other byproducts ( cardboard ) to the point it failed inspections. In order to raise protein levels a cheap alternative to meat --antifreeze-- was added. Lot cheaper than chicken or beef leading to many dogs dying of kidney failure. Thanks but no thanks. I have just become more wary of American Chinese Restaurants...............I foresee many quiet China Towns all over the U.S. for some time until the smoke clears or someone can prove me wrong............

Old 01-28-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
You can't sell me any food item that comes from China. I learned the hard way with our dogs and that dang antifreeze incident. Dogfood was mixed with other byproducts ( cardboard ) to the point it failed inspections. In order to raise protein levels a cheap alternative to meat --antifreeze-- was added. Lot cheaper than chicken or beef leading to many dogs dying of kidney failure. Thanks but no thanks. I have just become more wary of American Chinese Restaurants...............I foresee many quiet China Towns all over the U.S. for some time until the smoke clears or someone can prove me wrong............
Yeah but the thing is, I'm not sure it's only Chinese supermarkets that carry products from China. I'm wondering how many non Chinese stores carry imported Chinese goods. I'm looking at labels from now on to make sure. They've been saying to avoid purchasing seafood originating from Vietnam/China for some time now because they're not as carefully regulated but sometimes you can't tell where these products are coming from. They're not exactly clearly labeled and good luck asking the store employees. They don't know or won''t tell. lol.

Too bad for your dogs! Anti-freeze? That's a new one. Jeesh.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:34 PM

874 posts, read 454,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Be careful.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...navirus-latest

Four patients in New York are under observation, amid concerns they may have the coronavirus.

Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city is working with state officials, although there were no further details on where in New York these individuals are.

The city has one of the largest Chinese populations in the country.

And there have been concerns and warnings for individuals traveling to and from the country.

There have been more than two dozen deaths in China associated with the virus.

Symptoms include fever and coughing, as well as pneumonia.

Overall, close to 600 people have been infected, mostly in the city of Wuhan.

The Great Wall of China and Shanghai Disney are among locations that are shutdown amid the outbreak. Meanwhile, the capital of Beijing has canceled major events indefinitely.

Here in the U.S. there are two confirmed cases. One in Chicago, the other in Seattle.
*gasp* - i can't believe it.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:35 PM

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...pYZETcY-MkLJEs

Americans Returning From China to Be Screened at JFK and Other Airports Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

Starting Sunday, Americans returning from China will be screened at select ports of entry, including Kennedy Airport, federal officials announced as part of new entry restrictions amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Also, there's this.

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/31/cit...tals-elmhurst/

The city is emphatically denying reports that a patient has been confirmed with having novel coronavirus at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst. The reports were based on an internal NYPD memo that was sent to eight precincts in Queens..City Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot took to Twitter to refute the report, saying, “This is not accurate,”...

Last edited by Aeran; 02-01-2020 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-01-2020, 08:23 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times
Most of the frozen seafood from China in shop rite.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:25 PM

565 posts, read 362,202 times
I live in Whitestone which is near Flushing, Queens. I'm surrounded by Chinese born people all damn day. This is what happens when we allow 3rd world people to immigrate to this country in such mass. The same goes for the hordes of Central Americans trickling into Queens illegally.

These f'g politicians don't give a crap about Americans. All they want is a new voting block at any cost.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
The Chinese have way too many diseases like this new crap. Travel ban should be in place.
Nevermind Chinese, how about all the illegals we allow here? There are many illegals including Chinese ones here without any immunization probably standing and rubbing next to you on the subway and bus.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:49 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post

the chinese believe that this new virus was from a bio-weapon dumped on them by the US...so you cannot blame them for this disease that they didn't breed this time......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City