Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 AM

196 posts, read 574,175 times

Advertisements

My husband is job seeking and being in advertising, NYC keeps coming up.... We have lived in big cities before Chicago & Philly, but NYC seems to be very unique!

We are just trying to figure out if he should even consider NYC in the options. We would want to rent and he would most likely work in Manhattan. Here is what I see being the sticking point. We currently have 3 large golden retriever dogs (one is 90 lbs). It seems as if finding a rental with one dog is nearly impossible - would this even be doable?

We are open to city or suburbs, but would want the commute to be 45min or less. Would prefer no "apartment complex" type housing. Schools are not an issue since I homeschool, but a safe neighborhood where I could walk the dogs at 10pm if he is out of town is a must. We can spend up to $3500/mo, but would love to keep it lower than that. Gotta have money to do all the fun stuff in NYC!

Just looking for areas that might be a possibility, so I can investigate cost/quality of life before we even consider a move.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 PM

415 posts, read 1,394,845 times
I'd expect its going to take every dollar you can muster to afford a place that will accept your 3 large dogs. And that is the thing about ny most people do not learn until they get here. It takes almost everything you have just to live here that after all of the bills are paid, their is nothing left to do all the cool things. I wish you good luck. Look at Long island. Something close to the LIRR so the commute is not to much of a killer.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
I agree with onthegtrain, check long island.
NYC is not dog friendly, I should say Landlords are not dog friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City