Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,747,229 times

Advertisements

Yep. You should probably leave. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 PM

910 posts, read 751,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
So far I haven't heard it discussed but I'm curious if you've visited for at least a few weeks another major city. With your current skill set, what higher-paying jobs can you land? I didn't read everything but I am assuming you wouldn't be an adjunct professor in your new city. A side gig is awesome to have but I'd definitely have a decent paying job lined up before you move.
I want to stay in the NYC tri-state area or close to it. I did visit (years ago) different cities. For me, the salary is not so much the issue. The issue for me is that I do not think based on what I do, staying in NYC is worthwhile long-term.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,360,660 times
Do you have any kind of money saved up so that maybe 6 months-a year after moving you can buy a house? It's good to know what you want, but just trying to give the "getting there" more thought. I'm also planning to move in the future (from Atlanta), and I can tell you it's a process lol. The reason why I asked about a house is because it might be a lot more affordable for you to buy a house rather than rent.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:44 PM

874 posts, read 452,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post

OK, first off, if I am posting this in the wrong place, I ask the mods to move it to wherever it fits. .

- I teach as an adjunct prof at a college.
- I do not get health insurance from them
- and my contract is temp (on a semester to semester basis). No job security whatsoever.

Let me repeat> ZERO benefits or job security.

I DO like what I teach and I am very well-respected by colleagues and students alike.
The issue is not the work environment since I actually enjoy my job for the most part.

Other than that, I think there are more minuses in all this…

...am teaching from home now and LOVE IT, ABSOLUTELY LOVE not having to take the subways anymore....

Old 03-29-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Do you have any kind of money saved up so that maybe 6 months-a year after moving you can buy a house? It's good to know what you want, but just trying to give the "getting there" more thought. I'm also planning to move in the future (from Atlanta), and I can tell you it's a process lol. The reason why I asked about a house is because it might be a lot more affordable for you to buy a house rather than rent.
Yes, I do have a fairly good possibility of buying a house. I totally agree that long term it is much more affordable. I hate the idea of renting, but since I had been living in so many different places (including abroad) for more than a decade, I never prioritized buying till now. I have enough money saved for a good down payment on a "cheapish" house in a rural area.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:28 AM

UPDATE: I was just told by the college that they are moving to online for next semester as well (which begins in May)...with or without social distancing still in place. Since they do not know how long this situation will last, they already decided to go online for at least another semester. That is GOOD NEWS because if I actually DO get classes, I'll be leaving NYC and working remotely in a much cheaper area for the same pay (Which would be NYC pay).

There is no reason for me to continue being here if that's the situation. Why would I pay $1,000 a month on a room when I could get a house/apartment to myself in a more peaceful setting for the same price or at least around the same price?

Old 03-30-2020, 11:38 AM

15,818 posts, read 14,456,446 times
I assume (from the way you discuss your situation) that your not committed to any long term housing situation. You can move back and forth as necessary. For the short term, that's good. You can flip out of the city and still make money.

But you should be thinking of a long term repositioning of your career. That will be easier and more lucrative in NYC.

Quote:
UPDATE: I was just told by the college that they are moving to online for next semester as well (which begins in May)...with or without social distancing still in place. Since they do not know how long this situation will last, they already decided to go online for at least another semester. That is GOOD NEWS because if I actually DO get classes, I'll be leaving NYC and working remotely in a much cheaper area for the same pay (Which would be NYC pay).

There is no reason for me to continue being here if that's the situation. Why would I pay $1,000 a month on a room when I could get a house/apartment to myself in a more peaceful setting for the same price or at least around the same price?

Old 03-30-2020, 11:38 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,146,860 times
Stay where you are and look for other grades,besides college. Virtual learning is a thing now, and
Probably 2021 as well.

If I were you, get your own place, hook up with a private school or online tutor/language , and stay put.
Whatever happens here will spill all over the country.

NYC is where its at,until your bank gets filled,and you can move on with confidences.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,612,770 times
Quote:

I guess if you want that. For me, having my Manhattan apartment is bliss. Equally as much so if I were in a good chunk of Queens and Brooklyn. It and my crazy dream of living in Tokyo is worth working for. I can't stand not living around people and nature/peaceful has no appeal to me when I have nothing to do, but I do know that feel of dreading roommates. If you want out, get out. No reason for you to be here given what you want.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I assume (from the way you discuss your situation) that your not committed to any long term housing situation. You can move back and forth as necessary. For the short term, that's good. You can flip out of the city and still make money.

But you should be thinking of a long term repositioning of your career. That will be easier and more lucrative in NYC.
Correct - I do not like to ever commit long-term to anything, so my room is month to month. I can move out whenever.

@kapikap: but that's the thing, I've worked with lots of online options in the past and would get more "bang for the buck" since I'd be making a NY wage, living somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVAWOOD
I guess if you want that. For me, having my Manhattan apartment is bliss. Equally as much so if I were in a good chunk of Queens and Brooklyn. It and my crazy dream of living in Tokyo is worth working for. I can't stand not living around people and nature/peaceful has no appeal to me when I have nothing to do, but I do know that feel of dreading roommates. If you want out, get out. No reason for you to be here given what you want.
I used to be much more like that, but the older I get, the more far away I want to be from most people. I used to dread even thinking about living in a rural area, but now I find it is less of a grind in some ways (depending on how much money you make, etc). I also don't even do half the stuff most people who enjoy NYC do. I don't go to watch any shows, not into fashion or trendy stuff at all and I make my coffee at home always (so there goes any interesting cafes, etc). I'm beginning to like smaller towns that are close enough to NY but far enough that they are much more peaceful. For example, Sleepy Hollow comes to mind as to a setting I am liking much more now at this stage of my life. I also like the Catskills or parts of upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City