U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,371,573 times

Advertisements

Someone emailed me about a new HUD lottery for a condo development being built in Arverne on Beach 59 St - B 62 on the beach block. Sounds like a very adventurous undertaking considering it is right next to Ocean Village, a very tough private high-rise housing development

Waters Edge at Arverne Condominium (http://www.briarwoodorganization.com/watersedgecondos/ - broken link)
HPD - Homebuyers - Homes for Sale: Queens
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 AM

191 posts, read 830,287 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/ny...yt&oref=slogin

on the averene website they dont show the projects next door.....

Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 AM

25,604 posts, read 39,000,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Someone emailed me about a new HUD lottery for a condo development being built in Arverne on Beach 59 St - B 62 on the beach block. Sounds like a very adventurous undertaking considering it is right next to Ocean Village, a very tough private high-rise housing development

Waters Edge at Arverne Condominium (http://www.briarwoodorganization.com/watersedgecondos/ - broken link)
HPD - Homebuyers - Homes for Sale: Queens
You can't beat those prices...and usually whatever happens in Ocean Village stays in Ocean Village, from my experiences. A friend of mine lived across the street from O.V. on Beach 59th, and it was always quiet. The most noise would come from kids playing in the street.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 23,219,006 times
Does anyone here know someone who actually won a hud lottery?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:43 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,371,573 times
Yes, a former co-worker won & bought a condo in buildings on W 145 st & Edgecombe ave across from Jackie Robinson Park. Nice place in a crappy area. He has to stay for three years (I think) and can then sell it.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,097 times
My sister just purchased a house on Beach 60th street. Now I am worried about her and her family. Is it that bad out there. Please respond truthfully. Thank you

Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM

25,604 posts, read 39,000,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-mack View Post
My sister just purchased a house on Beach 60th street. Now I am worried about her and her family. Is it that bad out there. Please respond truthfully. Thank you
Overall it's the hood, I wont lie to you. But if you're the type who just goes to work and comes home then it has little chance of affecting you.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM

66 posts, read 298,768 times
Quote:
I agree with seventhfloor. But, I must say I was definitely affected by all that stuff that was going on down there. I lived in Arverne from '08-'10, and the only time I left my apt was to go to work. My bf had to go to the store each time. I didn't feel safe there at all, I have two little boys, I had to leave. My bf still go over there to visit family and he says it's getting better. I guess it was just the time frame I was out there. It was just too much violence.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:18 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,875,066 times
Quote:
The new Arverne-by-the-Sea development is a real game-changer in the area. Before, it was all run-down and not safe, but that seems to be changing pretty quickly (remarkable for somewhere so far out). Probably won't be "nice" any time soon, though.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 16,097 times
Default arverne

Has anyone heard anything lately popping off out there? Is it crazy cold in the winter? I heard the summers are the worse out there. How's the commute to Brooklyn and Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City